Note to New Members ×

recomendations for bindings

scotts.Scheinman

Don't forget All Board Sports in Boulder! Bola has some sweet stuff in his shop. The amount of cool hardboot and carving equipment (and long boarding stuff as well) is higher than in any other shop I've ever been in (never been to the Bomber store though :) ). Boulder is only a half hour northwest of DIA and is a great little town as well. It's too bad that he doesn't have a web store but if you're in Denver on your way to Summit or Eagle and have a car its an interesting detour. They're going to start stocking Virus Boards and they have a few Coilers in stock along with some other stuff that you never see anywhere else. Anyway just wanted to mention it because it was fun meeting Bola and chatting.

(ps. Is yyzcanuck selling/shipping product to the States?)

I currently have 3 pairs and am looking at picking up a fourth. Blue Tomato is the place to buy, their last years models are between $170-$250.00 plus shipping (once you establish an account) and they ship out DHL within 3-4 business days. The red/black ones pictured are currently what I have and the all black ones are the ones I'm buying next. They do come in different sizes so pay attention when ordering. I'm mondo 27.5 and have the "large" size. Been on them 3 seasons now and never had a problem. Although I must say I'm contemplating the TD2's and OS2's due to the trick anodized color options.... :D

Good luck,

Paul

post-857-141842206971_thumb.jpg

post-857-141842206973_thumb.jpg

black ones are the new intec titanium? changed the baseplate config?

No, those are the TitanFlex (or some such). They have a circular sort of riser plate (you can see it in the image) and some padding - supposed to be flexible or something. You can dump the risers and you have a race binding without the toe adjuster, but they're a different product.

I ride F2 Intec race plates and have done since they were introduced (with different naming conventions). I look at the US bindings every so often (Catek, Bomber), and they're obviously very well engineered and full of adjustments. But they weigh a huge amount, they have lots of stuff to break, they're heavy, and I have always found them "over engineered" in the end and left them on the shelves.

One one point in here, if you have problems with Intec heels in powder then you just need to get it right. I've never had a mis-step in about a year of backcountry days on these things. The main reason for using the heels is actually performance, for me. I find the Intecs give a much more solid boot/ binding connexion.

Phil:

Tell me which model you are riding exactly. If I go to the F2 site, I see 2 Intec plate bindings - the "Intec - RS" and the "Intec - Titanium". My standard Cateks are too fiddly and heavy and my Intec TD2s were too stiff for me. Going to try F2 for sure this winter.

Correction, F2 has 3 Intec bindings.

Intec - RS

Intec - Titanium

Intec - Titanflex

Henry

No, those are the TitanFlex (or some such)...But they weigh a huge amount, they have lots of stuff to break, they're heavy, and I have always found them "over engineered" in the end and left them on the shelves.

Phil

have you ever weighed the Intec Titanium vs Bomber or Catek?

I dont think Bombers weigh much more than the F2. Obviously more than the Challenge Comp or that sort of binding...

so the titanflex is the dampened, lifted binding.

I had the black and red intec titanium. One thing I really, really , really liked about them was the fixed toe bail. Even though bombers stand up pretty well, they can still flop. with the F2 theres _no_ flop

• 4 months later...

I've got the Titanium binding and I love it. I'm tired of moving it around between my boards though (even though its five times as fast as moving a TD), so I just ordered a pair of Titanflex to complete my setup (F2 Lancelot / F2 Silberpfeil). However, I'm on 26,5 Stratus Pros and are using the medium size Titaniums and the Titanflexes might be large. Any one knows if that might be a problem?

bild.jpg

bild.jpg

I have the TD2 and the Catek Freeride and love them both. But the ups and downs:

TD is a pain to change boards. TD3 needs to have the base plate accessible without having to remove the top plate.

Catek is a b***h to set up in the first place but once it's done (assuming you don't want to change it) it seems pretty good.

Catek has a much greater degree of adjustability. Although that is generally lost on a pleb like me, for some, it is probably the best thing since sliced bread.

TD is simple, Catek is complicated. Same end result.

End result, if neither made any improvements of significance, I think I would buy TD over Catek again, but only just.

I got the Xbones and the Cateks for the narrow boards I got but haven't ridden because I have this knack for severely damaging myself in Utah...

Xbones for my wider boards...

Cateks mainly because they have a smaller footprint than the Xbones and, when looking at the TD's, I didn't know what I wanted in terms of cant, so I figured I'd get the bindings I could adjust as I wanted. I got the OS2s