Note to New Members ×

Reality Check - attention real carvers

GremUSA

Keep your eye on the ball, Danny. First let me say that I hope you can rectify your lack of access to the mountains and until that happens I feel your pain.

After teaching loads of people carving of all types from all over the country, the biggest single impediment to people advancing quickly in carving is either their inability or unwillingness to flex the hardboots.

Seems like most folks when they feel the cuff of the boot stop their motion either up and down or across the board. This applies more to the toeside turn in one way, but without the flex down on that side you don't have the "unflex" up, which is part of it. Also you should be able to move your knees (by rotating femur) in a slighlty flexed position 3-4 inches left and right.

Think of an arc of a windshield wiper. Don'ty know if I explained this well or can without a picture.

If you get the gear you should be able to strap it on in a nice clean living room with sudsy beverages nearby, and go up and down through a range of motion. On toe side flex the boot down until you feel quite a bit of pressure on front of calves and heels are an inch off the carpet.

Now go back up and move hips back and slightly down far enough the toes come off the carpet the same 1/2 to inch.

Do the same with the windshield wiper knees move until you feel the boots flexing.

lather, rinse, repeat.

If you can flex the boots you should be able to carve. This little bit above will help in the transitions. If boots are too stiff to move unweighting becomes very challenging and rotary arm slinging and windmilling come into play and are not as comfortable.

Ten days is a significant portion of many people's available days on the mountain. If I'm not linking carved turns in 10 days, screw it. It took me one day to learn how to ride a board; I'm not spending ten times that long just to learn how to carve one.

I think that almost anyone with some understanding of the carving concepts and 10 days should get it. It is hard sometimes when those days are a little disjointed through the season.

I once clicked the director of our ski school (never ever snowboarder) into one of my boards in his ski boots (loosened up top), on his first run he was finding the edge and carving (exracer liked the carve) he just couldnt get off of it all the time. With some unweighting and boot flexing he was ripping in a couple of runs his first day.

good luck,

Jerry

Firstly, Thank you to:

Skategoat, TommyD, Jack, RJ,Skatha, Danielle, Kamran, Jim, Brad, CarvCanada, Allen, JD, Bryan, Mario, Yardsale, MikeT, Dsub, AlpineGirl, Nate, Bola,,,

,,,For your responses – they were variant, helpful and encouraging. I’m no quitter – I learned to soft boot in one day. I was just concerned that carving was this Nirvana level not likely to be reached in my short mountain time

I’m going for it full tilt as I do most things in life. AlpGirl- flexibility, yes I spend a lot of time stretching before I go out (up to 45min) – I learned that one from competing on skates.

Nate; my F2 is (will be when Frank gets it to me :) ) a speedster RS. Jack said the RS needs to be ridden faster to make the cuts which makes sense given its purpose. I’m not afraid of speed except when I can’t control it. I still think I’ll get a 4wd from Bomber well as the bindings an’ boots – I definitely want to support the Bomber folks.

I’ll think I’ll seek a journeyman carver when I’m both at Copper and ffice:smarttags" />lace w:st="on">Mass - I've received email for help finding one.</ST1:place> I agree with Yardsale that it’s difficult to text the mechanics of something although I think you can pick up snippets that are good to use dry land – anything to help imo.

I feel like a Harley rider at the side of the road – the brotherhood won’t leave you stranded so thanks again everyone. I’m also glad I’m not the only one (or the oldest;poke;poke :) ) in the over 40 crowd…but I’m wondering if I’m the only hippie musician,.,.,.,.,.

<O:p

Look for the guy with the long hair flappin’ (not cheeks) on the training slope (which is the best?) on Copper Jan 20-25,,,not sure about the Mass date yet.

Cheers you all lots,

Greg :cool:

Carve Form Gallery

Here are some good photos to check out. Except for the first few "EC" photos , most are of either "Race" or "Toes to the Nose" styles of carving.

Another article that Pat D. and Mark from UT have brought to our attention is an excellent guide to overall snowboard posture and movement. Good reading for anyone who wants to snowboard well. Core Four is an excellent bit of info. To read the scans of the articles you can either read the text on the first page or right click and download the scans. They are about 200k each so, be aware , it might be a bit much for a dial up connection.

Enjoy!! (Let your "Freak Flag Fly") I have only been "respectable for a couple years now" :lol: :eplus2:

If you get the gear you should be able to strap it on in a nice clean living room with sudsy beverages nearby, and go up and down through a range of motion. On toe side flex the boot down until you feel quite a bit of pressure on front of calves and heels are an inch off the carpet.

Now go back up and move hips back and slightly down far enough the toes come off the carpet the same 1/2 to inch.

Do the same with the windshield wiper knees move until you feel the boots flexing.

lather, rinse, repeat.

good luck,

Jerry

This is really very helpful and the kinda thing I'm talkin' about where you can take this text and info and internalize it. I'll analyze Jerry's words one by one, take the board to the carpet and there's another notch closer to carve overdrive. I've also found some instruction at alpinecarving.com

Ta so very much Jerry

New here but not new, The bit about ride with other people on hard boots cannot be over stated. Following another rider on a similar rig is so helpful, you'll learn a ton without realizing it. Also, I found that a real stiff, fast rig acts almost as corrective shoes for your form. Youve got to do it right or else.

The upside of falling while carving is that 90% of your falls will take place while your already close to the ground. There are just going to be alot of them, a whole lot.

You also want to exagerate what you see in those photos, you wont be but it will feel like it.

Just two more cents

John

This hardbooter community is very tight-nit. It's hard to find someone on hardboots that's not interested in taking a run or two with you. When I ride, if I happen upon another carver, we'll go up the lift, chat, ask about equipment, go for runs together, give eachother tips, then head in for a beer.

Carving buddies help you push yourself and continue to progress.

Good luck and welcome to the carving cult!,

Gord

Hey Grem, some other sites worth checking into if you haven't seen them already:

www.alpinecarving.com

www.extremecarving.com (those Swiss EC guys with vids)

www.onedge.ru (for vids only I think, unless you know Russian)

I found the videos really helpful, although honestly had no idea what I was doing until I found some carving buddies. It makes a huge difference to see real carvers in action up close and personal.

I was a long-time skier too and from my own experience and those I hear of others, your switch to snowboard hardboots shouldn't be so dramatic. The hardboots are the thing man, even the stiffest softy setup on an all mountain or BX board just ain't the same IMHO.

Happy carving! :)