Note to New Members ×

Is there any resort that is open this or next weekend?(East Coast)

Linus

OMG :eek::eek: ....I just saw a clip from Whistler-Blackcomb site and can't resist my addiction :o :o . Can anybody tell me any resort that is open close to Montreal or Vermont? Me and my friends are thinking about going if they are open. We are willing to drive maximum 8~9 hours. Anybody??? :biggthump

Guest Andrew S

As far as Maine, Sunday River is open the 11th and Sugarloaf the 18th. We hiked Sugarloaf last Wednesday and Friday and I have to say it was pretty damn good for the middle of October.

Andrew

Guest KillingtonVT

Killington is hoping to open for the season on Nov. 11... let's just hope the Mother Nature cooperates!!!

Last weekend was totally sick. I’ve never seen that much snow this early in the season. I hiked to the peak on Thursday and made my first run of the season on Dipper with my powder deck. My wife even made the hike on Monday and made a run with Bluebird Skies and 66 degree temps.

Here's my wife...

Later

post-1926-141842206468_thumb.jpg

From FristTracksOnLine.com

Killington, VT (Friday, November 11, 2005) - Warm weather throughout early November has stymied eastern ski and snowboard resorts' attempts to open or reopen, but a return to colder temperatures has a number of ski areas firing up their snowmaking systems.

Following a late-October snowstorm that allowed Vermont's Killington Resort to open for two days, warm air has prevented the resort from sticking to its planned Nov. 11 opening. Resort officials are now shooting for next week. "We will open as soon as we can provide a quality top to bottom skiing and snowboarding experience," said Dave Rathbun, vice president of brand management for Killington. "Right now, looking at the current weather forecast, we're targeting next week to re-open the season."

Warm air has forced nearby Okemo Mountain Resort to twice reschedule its planned opening already. The current target date for Okemo's opening is Friday, Nov. 18. "The temperatures came in to where we like them at around 10 o'clock on Tuesday night," says Okemo Mountain Operations Director Barry Tucker. "We've had staff on call and equipment in position for several nights now, and it looks like the temperatures are holding fairly well for us."

Preliminary efforts are focusing on three trails on the upper mountain at Okemo but that will expand quickly, according to Tucker. "We're staffed to make snow," he said.

Across the border in northeastern New York, Whiteface Mountain ski and snowboard area near Lake Placid had 64 guns roaring from the top of Little Whiteface (Excelsior trail) to Upper Valley to mid station today, its first day of snowmaking. And in Massachusetts, snowmaking crews were ready to fire Jiminy Peak's snowmaking system overnight at press time. Jiminy is planning to begin full-time snowmaking next week with the goal to be open for the weekend of Nov. 19th and 20th.