Note to New Members ×

Help with a new board for a lightweight teen

Guest Thomas_S

Guest Thomas_S

Well, I bought a used Oxygen Proton last year with Burton race plates and the SB 413's. I immediately fell in love the first day I went on the mountain.

Now sadly, I've grown a bit. The board is now too short (it wasn't the longest to begin with), and the boots don't fit. So I'm going to probably sell the setup.

However, I view this as a really cool thing though - it means I can purchase better equipment that will last me longer. Here is some stuff about me:

Age - 15, 16 in January

Height - 5'8"

Weight - 122 lb

So far I've been eying the Donek Pilot, Axis, and the Prior 4x4, but could use some help with what size. Also, with the bindings as well (I hated the damn Burtons - I didn't like the feel or the feeling of being so limited) - its either Bomber TD2's or Catek OS2's. However, I'm also worried about the board being too stiff with 'em. Care to lend a hand?

I'm 15, 16 in January as well, but I'm a little heavier (140lbs). This is also going to be my first season on hardboots so I have yet to ride a board but I'll share with you the gear I'm getting to give you an idea of what someone else in the same situation bought. I ordered a Donek FCII 163 (should come mid nov. I can't wait!), I'm getting some TD2's with the yellow erings, and I bought some super soft Raichle SB222's (I spent all my $$$ on the board and bindings :D). Oh and you said you outgrew your old board? The appropriate snowboard is determined mostly by weight, length only affects how the board performes in reguards to stability and turnyness, length has nothing to do with how compatable you are with the board. So unless the board feels too soft you could probably get away with using your old board and just getting new boots and bindings.

You should contact Donek about a mail order demo. Do it early in the season, because you probably won't be able to get a demo if you call Donek around SES time. You only have to pay for return shipping.

I'm 5'7", 130 lb and I demo'd a Donek FCII 163 last spring. I liked the board so much that I ordered one in Sept. and just got it last week.

I have SB413 boots and TD2 bindings. Before the TD2's, I had Burton step-in race plates. I couldn't really tell the difference in stiffness between the Burtons and the TD2. Possibly because of the soft flex of my boots. I'm sure you'll also be fine going to TD2's.

I am 15, 16 in December and have been riding Vokl Renn Tigers for the past 4 years, this year i got a custom prior for GS racing and am going to continue to ride a Vokl Sl board. The renn tigers are awsome and great to learn on because you can find them cheap, don't only look for a new board, i bought both my vokls used from people I knew and they work great, the SL board is going on 7 years old, maybe more, and it still is awsome.

Edit: i weigh 145 now, but 3 years ago i was around 100

Ar(angel can help you with that, he has a bunch of renn tigers in the smaller sizes.

as far as the boots go since you are still growing try and get the boots stretched before you dump them, maybe you can get another season out of them.

my recomendation would be a madd 170, someone is selling one you could scoop it from him if you get on it, look in the classifieds

the 170 to me is useless because I am way to heavy for it but you are right at the point where it would be on the stiff side but in a year or two it would be perfect.

Just wanted to appreciate that you guys are getting fired up about trenching. When you hook up that first time and pull some serious g's then you barely move your knee and bam you are laying out your new edge...

:ices_ange:biggthump

It seems like so many are going freestyle that it is just nice to from some that appreciate the alpine style too.

Jerry

What's your foot size? That and your angle preference will determine the width of the board. Basically you should find out all the measurements of your Oxygen (length, width, radius) and think about what you want to change about it. Was it a good width for your feet? Do you feel like you want to go faster? If so, look for a board with a longer sidecut radius than the Oxy. The Pilot will save you some money, I'd probably look at either the 167 or 168 - note the difference in radius and waist width. Otherwise the FC line is very popular.

Guest Thomas_S
What's your foot size? That and your angle preference will determine the width of the board. Basically you should find out all the measurements of your Oxygen (length, width, radius) and think about what you want to change about it. Was it a good width for your feet? Do you feel like you want to go faster? If so, look for a board with a longer sidecut radius than the Oxy. The Pilot will save you some money, I'd probably look at either the 167 or 168 - note the difference in radius and waist width. Otherwise the FC line is very popular.

Mondo size - 29 I believe (off the top of my head)

Anyhow, with the Oxygen, I loved the fact I could go faster with even more control than before, but if felt like I was hitting a really thick brick wall with it (mentally), like a plateau that I got to. I wanted more speed, and even more control. I'd like to kick that plateau in the ass this season. While I realize that the equipment isn't going to make me 'godly' or anything like that, I'd like to get rid of those limitations with my current rig.

Its an Oxygen Proton 147. With It I currently ride 47 degrees front, 43 degrees rear.

Stretching the boots: I'd kill to get another season (new hunting gear broke my bank practically, this is a stretch right here). Just go to any ski shop? With the SB 413, can I still get an Intec heel for it?

Thanks!

I do have some smaller Tigers left, but they're going fast. If any of you younger riders are interested contact me and I can fill you in on the details. I've already sold 3 to local racers here and am working on getting a board/binding combo that I can offer as a package. The SL's are great little slalom boards and everyone has been very happy with them so far. E-mail or look for my e-bay store "ar(angel alpine gear".

Thanks,

Paul

Thomas,

I'd be surprized if you were fitting mondo 29s on that 147 at those angles without getting boot drag. I'd look at the wider Doneks then, like the Pilot 167 or the 170 Peterson FC. Or if those lengths seem too long then the 163 FC-II. Just remember that the length of a board is not a difficulty while carving - only while <i>not</i> carving. Based on what you say about the 147 it sounds like you're ready for <i>at least</i> a 163.

Boots - any reputable ski shop with the right equipment should be able to help. I'm not sure if the 413 is Intec compatible - if the heel is removable then it probably is.

Also, if I might add, you'll probably start gaining a bunch of weight either this year or next, when your testosterone starts catching up with your height. I'd definitely stick with inexpensive or gently used gear until age 21-22, when you'll have a better idea what your adult height/weight is going to be

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Thomas_S

Actually, its North Huntingdon, PA, near Greensburg.

Anyhow, I ordered a Donek Race, and cannot be any happier. While its costing me more money, I'm pretty dang happy right now!