Note to New Members ×

New Catek Olympics

Guest Randy S.

This may be a dumb question, but apart from styling, what do these have that my old ones don't. I already have infinite adjustment etc. etc., they are just scuffed and worn.

The old ones are not infinitely adjustable as far as angles, but have 3 degree increments.

There are now 2 peices to the base plate. You bolt the plate to you board and then bolt the subframe to the plate at what ever angle you would like(infinate) with a bolt at the toe and heel of the sub frame into various holes in the Base plate. you then put the binding plate(just like the old plate) on top of it all and tighten down the king pin just like before.

Also the sub frame has stanless cups pressed into it so the cant adjustment pins sit in the cups and no longer dig into the base plate. and Jeff has included a marked "dip stick" to duplicate the same cant over and over.

We are looking foward to testing them soon for the site Keep an eye out for the full reveiw. :biggthump

Nekdut:

Not to quibble, but the heck, I'll quibble. My bindings have smooth discs attached to the board and I can tighten down the set screws anywhere I want. That seems to me to be infinitely variable. Now in fact, once I have tightened a few times, the disc is pitted, and the screws get forced back ito the old holes... so over time I have lost the infinite range.

Perhaps the later (or earlier) bindings have holes drilled in them that allow small fixed increment movements.

John

Nekdut:

Not to quibble, but the heck, I'll quibble. My bindings have smooth discs attached to the board and I can tighten down the set screws anywhere I want. That seems to me to be infinitely variable. Now in fact, once I have tightened a few times, the disc is pitted, and the screws get forced back ito the old holes... so over time I have lost the infinite range.

Perhaps the later (or earlier) bindings have holes drilled in them that allow small fixed increment movements.

John

John,

I think you have the world cup binding not the olympic. Many riders my self include just spin the binding plate on the base plate of world cups.

The new binding also has improved stainless bails and a improved o-ring king pin locking system. Plus a positve 2 bolt length adjustment.

I think jeff stopped making the world cups in 02 or so.

Looks like there is also an elastomer ring on the OS2 although probably not on par with the elastomer rings on TD2s as far as choice of hardness or amount of vibration damping (at least with the soft and med rings). They look like a good improvement over the Olympics.

They addressed my chief complaint which is that I like to splay my bindings in increments other than 3 degrees. Very cool. However I am so very happy with my TD2s - my wife and I have four sets between us plus some 2nd board kits - so I probably won't be trying the OS2's anytime soon.

:freak3: at least I'll be in Newport the end of November and can go get a second board kit before he runs out...OK my irritation is over.

They look cool and it does look like he has kept a lot of the parts the same...if the new bails/toe blocks are interchangable then I may get a new set of heel blocks for my OS1's

The World Cups were black, the Olympics were always silver, and for the first few years the Olympic base plates were smooth (like PM Wizard's) that did allow infinite adjustability. It was only in the last few years that Jeff added the divots for the screws to sit in.

Still, these new bindings are worth grabbing just for the bling.