Note to New Members ×

If you ever ride at Sugarbush...

wavechaser

If anyone is ever in the area and wants to ride, soft or hard, give me a shout...not too many of us hardbooters up here. We poach Mad River in early December on the softies. And if you are a stick-chaser come race with the Sugarbush Racing Club (after January 1st) on Tuesdays at noon on the Spring Fling NASTAR course at Lincoln Peak and beat down some skiers with me! Sometimes we even race a "REAL" single-course GS top to bottom on Spring Fling.

Oh yeah...Aisling...I'm a nice guy! :D

I've never done it; But skiing the Glen is awesome! If you get a chance to poach on a board, do it after a good storm, and take someone who knows the terrain as a guide. The terrain is phenomenal.

I had a guide when I skied there (After two feet of fresh dreams!) and MRG now ranks in my top 5 favorite places to ski, including the 'Bush and Big Mountain.

Wavechaser, I was there two years ago riding my Volkl RT 154 making tight turns. I don't know which slope I was on but I rode with two guys on plates for maybe half the slope. These guys were on probably about 168 - 175 length boards making larger turns. Could that have been you? I will be there again this year in February and will definately look you up.

Wavechaser, I was there two years ago riding my Volkl RT 154 making tight turns. I don't know which slope I was on but I rode with two guys on plates for maybe half the slope. These guys were on probably about 168 - 175 length boards making larger turns. Could that have been you? I will be there again this year in February and will definately look you up.

I rode at North a fair bit two seasons ago - could have been on anything from a Nidecker 168 to an FP 178 to a one-off FP 184, but I probably would have been wearing the same orange jacket as in my avatar pic (which, incidentally, is from the 'Bush that season).

I'm a bush regular.

The past two seasons I have spent just about every weekend there and a handfull of weekday pow days.

Most of the time I'm on a soft setup. Carving the groomers in the am and hitting the woods (learned alot about SlideBrook last season) in the pm. Sometimes on Sunday mornings I'll be at north on either my Proton or Vokl RT.

This season my 3 year old daughter is signed up for the Micro Bears program which is an every sat and sun comittment. So... I have to be there every sat and sun... darn.

Always looking for someone to ride with... especially someone who appriciates the art of a turn...

Tom

Hey,

I'm new to the area, just moved here from CT.

Got a corporate rate seasons pass to Sugarbush through work so I plan on being there a bunch. I've never poached Mad River, but would be interested if I had someone to show me the way. Sounds like fun.

Do any of you guys race in the Bolton night league? I was thinking about doing that as well.

Give me a shout off line if you want to schedule something.

smaynard06339@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Scott

Hey,

I'm new to the area, just moved here from CT.

Got a corporate rate seasons pass to Sugarbush through work so I plan on being there a bunch. I've never poached Mad River, but would be interested if I had someone to show me the way. Sounds like fun.

Do any of you guys race in the Bolton night league? I was thinking about doing that as well.

Give me a shout off line if you want to schedule something.

smaynard06339@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Scott

I might be at Bolton in the evenings more often this season since it may work out better with my work schedule. Never thought about chasing sticks, though - soul carving is where it's at for me.

A Burlington Carving Crew... this could be interesting!

I did the Bolton race league two years ago. It is fun. The course is not that steep and they are skier gates. Getting out and taking runs on a weeknight and the beers after are good. Getting out of work and getting there was the challenge for me.

Sugarbush every sat and sun are a lock for me. I've never done the MRG poach, but would LOVE to!

If any of you want to connect for runs shot me an email: tom.holmes@adelphia.net

Tom H.

This is cool...I want to get back to everybody but I'm gone to MA until Tuesday for my last two kayak races of the year. I'll post and email next week and we can get an SB carving posse together. I'm pretty big into racing and otherwise usually ride my softies - in the trees if at all possible, but would probably freecarve more if I had some company. The MRG poach usually happens in early Dec. before they open and after a good early storm or two. I'm not super familiar with the mountain's woods becauase I haven't been on skis since 1992 and wasn't into the trees back then, but I have "sources" here to help out with that. Sounds like Bob Jenney (2nd post in thread) could help out too! I've done it a few times in the past 10 years and just took whatever line looked good - and they almost ALL looked good! Just be ready for cries of "snowboarder on the hill" - pretty f-ing hilarious!! :lol:

Slidebrook is fun too. That area was closed for many years. It used to be a black bear haven. Might still be, but I’m not sure. That’s what delayed the installation of the chair between the two peaks for so long.

It still is a haven. I think they shut the chair down in the springtime when the bears start waking up.

It still is a haven. I think they shut the chair down in the springtime when the bears start waking up.

If I recall correctly, all the ski areas within the Green Mountain National Forrest are required to shut down operations by a certain date for that exact reason. When the bears start waking up all-hungry-like, it's not a good idea to be around.

In the early spring, Slidebrook is not a very safe or smart place to be.

But... mid winter when there is lots of snow, it's some of the best (lift access-in, bus ride-out) backcountry terrain in the North East.

Count me in for a MRG poach session!

Tom H.