Note to New Members ×

Padded Board Bags For Long Boards?

tahoecarver

Does anybody know a manufacturer of padded wheelie bags for long race boards? How am I supposed to take my Sims Burners on flights? I would at least like to be able to take my 187s with me. Any ideas or custom manufacturers? Does anyone have any experience with the Sportubes? Thanks for any feedback...

The guys at Full Bore do a pretty good product and I know they can do a custom job too. How do I know? Well I manage the building they are in, and I check out their factory all the time. I have also got various custom bits and pieces (surf board bags, snowboard bags, kayak paddle covers, footstraps, etc) from them.

Also, your USD / AUD exchange rate advantage could really work in your favour.

Website is www.fullbore.com.au

Good luck

Dan

I love my sporttube-I use the double one too

Ditto about the weight caution too-this thing can hold so much, you're tempted to pack it all!!!

Plus, there's nothing like the wheels and the comfort you have seeing luggage handlers toss WHATEVER on it but you knowing your babies are fine

I bought a used double one for $60 but I'm thinking of selling it. What do you guys use for padding in them? Clothes? I'm not comfortable with the idea of the boards just hitting the hard case. Actually building in some padding/insulation probably isn't worth my time (and I'm no handyman, either). I like the pockets and padding of bags. I've used the same all black no name generic $40 bag for over 6 years (put 2 boards in it last year), but my new 163 won't fit in it.

Guest Randy S.

Who are you Tahoecarver? I have a Dakine Dually you could use most of the time. I've loaned it out before. It holds up to a 200cm. I also have a bag that will hold a 210 or 220 (holds my 210), but it doesn't have wheels. As of 12/3, all my bags will be in Tahoe-Donner and I'll be there almost every weekend.

Randy

Barry, I'm expecting the snowboard sportube for Christmas. :D

Planning on making some board sleeves out of some old towels, then using clothing to pad the tube out. I'll probably throw some clear flexy PVC tubing around the edges to protect the edges. The sleeve is so wax stays on the board rather than on my clothes.

• 1 month later...

For you guys that use the dakine dually, aren't you afraid you'll get your boards dinged up by the airlines? It certainly doesn't look as safe as those padded wheelie bags with plastic/molded corners to absorb some impact. I wanna get a good padded bag for my 185 and I certainly like the low profile of the dually but seeing how airlines treat our gear, it makes me nervous to use that model.

The sportube does make sense but I'm just looking at more cost effective alternatives.

For you guys that use the dakine dually, aren't you afraid you'll get your boards dinged up by the airlines? It certainly doesn't look as safe as those padded wheelie bags with plastic/molded corners to absorb some impact. I wanna get a good padded bag for my 185 and I certainly like the low profile of the dually but seeing how airlines treat our gear, it makes me nervous to use that model.

The sportube does make sense but I'm just looking at more cost effective alternatives.

In traveling and shipping the best solutions is "CARDBOARD" over the tip and tails. So simple yet very effective.

Check the "Shipping page" on my site for photos or search for D-Sub's recent snowboard shipping post. Very good info there. However, when things go "Wrong" at the airport, no matter what you do , they are going to get hurt. A good bag and cardboard are a pretty good hedge against damage. Pack it knowing. IT WILL BE THROWN, IT WILL SLIDE DOWN RAMPS AND STRIKE HARD OBJECTS> IT WILL BE STACKED> IT WILL BE TRANSPORTED ON TOP OF SHUTTLE/ TRANSPORTERS (Likely to fall off onto the ground) and possibly run over. The kids driving the carts are under paid (perhaps not) and typically not the most dedicated. So. Pack well. Randy's suggestion of protecting the edges with clothing is an excellent idea.

Enjoy!! You will be glad you had the big board when it dumps or the groomers were proud!!