C5 Golfer

Does cigarette smoke smell bother you at work  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Does cigarette smoke smell bother you at work

• Do not care - the smell does not bother me
    • I care but can't do anything about it
    • I do not have a work place stink from smoke issue
    • I am pretty vocal about it and won't work around smokers

I am at work and in a 4 person open cubical type office where we sit in front of our computers to make our money. Two guys are smokers and when they come back in from their "break" they stink so friggen bad I finally had to say something today. So my question or poll is based around the work place- do you put up with it, do not have the problem, or are vocal about the stink that emanates from them.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We only have one P.U. Plenty type here, he sits about three cubicles away and tries (and fails) to mask the stench with breathmints and gum. We put up with it because the office is huge and it gets dispersed pretty well. When he comes in from a smoke break I always make a point to wrinkle my nose at the guy when I pass him in the hall, just to get the point across.

Good for you for saying something. What was the response?

We only have one P.U. Plenty type here, he sits about three cubicles away and tries (and fails) to mask the stench with breathmints and gum. We put up with it because the office is huge and it gets dispersed pretty well. When he comes in from a smoke break I always make a point to wrinkle my nose at the guy when I pass him in the hall, just to get the point across.

Good for you for saying something. What was the response?

I asked them to think about what we can do. I said to them "it is very similar to how you would feel if I farted in your office every 20 min". They both said they understand but they said they are not going to quit. So I went to the facilities guy and he is going to build a couple of new cubicals a ways away and I'll move them there. Can't wait.

That's a good fix. The only other thing I can think of is putting a fan in your cubicle, or waiting until everyone has gone home and "modifying" the ductwork above the desks to redirect airflow in some way to minimize the problem. I did that here to get myself more air conditioning, the guy next to me still hasn't noticed that the AC outlet in the ceiling tile above his desk is no longer there. heh, heh

give them a break. the poor slobs used to be able to smoke anywhere and now they stand outside like lepers. years ago they'd be smoking in your work area and if other parts of the world they still do. they're smokers, deal with it. you were out of line imo

Yeah that sucks. I was in a situation like that. There are 3 people that smoke where I work. They know I hate it and could care less about it. After all, they don't care about that fact they are wasting their money and killing themselves. So what should they care about the non-smokers. Boo HOO, right?

I would often say, "Aren't you worry about your lungs and getting sick?" They would bring up other disaster related stories. All smokers are alike. Some old S***!

This is what I do, when they are finish with their break and return, I go on my break. See ya!

It is amazing how the cigarette smokers will do any thing to smoke. I would look at them smoking their cigarettes outside in the freezing cold! Stupid!

That's life.

Doesn't bother me at work. too much welding going on. I get bothered more when entering or leaving work, have to walk through a smoking area outside the building. I had less exposure to second hand smoke when it was allowed inside the building than the way it is now.

My employer dealt with this one. The have identified 2 smoking locations on campus. Its all the way on the edge of the property. They erected a bus stop looking structure in the middle of no where with an ash tray. The smokers must journey through the parking lot, to this one location to light up. No cloud of smoke right outside the door to walk through. The other nice side effect of this, is that once done smoking, the smokers still have a reasonable walk through the parking lot back to the building. I believe this gives them the opprotunity to "air out" prior to reaching the building. They don't smell too bad by the time they come in.

My ALL TIME FAVORITE though, is the line of doctors, outside the chemo and radiology building huddled together lighting up. Can you imagine. . . your just finished a radiation treatment for lung cancer, and come out through the front door in your wheel chair, through a huge cloud of cigarette smoke, being made by your doctor, and radiologist and RN! Really uplifting im sure!

~tb

Air deodorizer. Fair play is to spray Lysol all over the offending area. If the smoke is not supposed to bother you, why would Lysol (a perfectly good disinfectant) bother anyone that smokes. If they're in the adjoining cubicle, simply spray it up in the air and where it lands is not your concern, much the same as the the stench on the smokers is landing on your area.

Aside from that, it might not be a bad way to help control the flu virus.

Tip: Find the aerosol that most offends the smoker, and then maybe they'll get the hint.

Air deodorizer. Fair play is to spray Lysol all over the offending area. If the smoke is not supposed to bother you, why would Lysol (a perfectly good disinfectant) bother anyone that smokes. If they're in the adjoining cubicle, simply spray it up in the air and where it lands is not your concern, much the same as the the stench on the smokers is landing on your area.

Aside from that, it might not be a bad way to help control the flu virus.

Tip: Find the aerosol that most offends the smoker, and then maybe they'll get the hint.

Can you get Methane in a Can?

I didn't vote obviously because I am a smoker. I definantely understand your issue with the smell. I've found that 90% of the smell is on your hands. If you simply wash your hands you'd be amazed at how much it helps. It doesn't make it completly go away, but it does help substantially.

Perhaps you could ask them to at least go wash their hands? If anything it would be a gesture from them that they are willing to work with you on the issue...

Also keep in mind smokers cannot smell it at all and are really clueless about how overwhelming the stench is. And believe me I will be the first to admit-it fuggin stinks.

Guest Randy S.

Somebody came in my office the other day (my office is temporarily in my house while we move - they took down the network in our old place and our new lease doesn't start until 11/30) and said "hey, it smells kind of skunky-smokey in here." They sorta liked the smell, but couldn't place it. It was just after 4:20 in the afternoon. :lol: :lol: j/k

C5, you need to move to California. Virtually everyone here has stopped smoking anything that isn't green. It is amazing how sensitive our noses are, especially if we ever smoked ourselves.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em. :flamethro

The hospital I used to work at made the entire property smoke free-imagine people pushing IMED's with IV bags on poles standing in the center median on the road next to the hospital smoking....very sad.

I used to smoke a LOOOONG time ago-I cannot stand the smell now-except when somebody is smoking Winston Reds.....funny thing is, I never smoked them. I smoked Camels :nono:

I smoked for 4 years and now as a penance I have an almost allergic reaction to it. So I don't have a choice but to be vocal. Or slam a few drinks because alocohol seems to make the reaction go away.

I am find around MJ and even most hand-rolled tobacco cigarettes. It's just commercually prepared cigarettes that bother me. I feel like I'm breathing in poison on *in addition to the smoke*.

I agree with Cliff H. Give them a break. I've never been a smoker (unless it's 4:20), but if they aren't blowing smoke in my face, I let it go. None of us are very perfect. I'm sure they'd quit if they could.

Aftershave and perfume makes me gag, but I'd never tell someone that. I just avoid them. I'd never date a guy that wears aftershave.

I agree with Cliff H. Give them a break. I've never been a smoker (unless it's 4:20), but if they aren't blowing smoke in my face, I let it go. None of us are very perfect. I'm sure they'd quit if they could.

Aftershave and perfume makes me gag, but I'd never tell someone that. I just avoid them. I'd never date a guy that wears aftershave.

Sounds like each person has a differnet tolerance level just like many other things. I have a low tolerance for smoke smell and a lower tolerance for perfume/cologne at work. When the person's smell arrives 5 mins before they do or the perfume is still there 5 mins after they leave that is over the top. I think that is why so many businesses have fragrance free work zones. I had to give a lady a ride to her car after meeting last winter when it was about 25°F outside and she had too much perfume, we went there wit hthe windows down. I guess I should be glad they don't have bad BO, then I'd really have to be vocal.

You just hit on one of my big annoyances. I have a couple of friends with really bad B.O. It's the kind that makes them smell like they haven't had a shower in a while and have been working outside in 100 degree heat during that time. What do you say to someone like this? Is it possible that some people just naturally smell like this, and that they in fact do take showers? If they take showers and still have this stench, I'd feel bad mentioning it, but it they don't, and are unaware of the smell, I feel like I need to say something if I can't stand it.

Is it better to say something, or avoid them?

I am always amused with people who are covert smokers ... they don't want anyone else to know. I had a roommate for a while who smoked, and she was really keen on hooking up with this guy that didn't, so she swore me to secrecy. Which is hilarious when you don't smoke and you know there is just no way she would be able to keep it from him!

She also used to act all surprised when she smoked in the house, and I'd come home and spring her. But seriously, she couldn't smell it.

I work in construction, and we have some people who come into the office that REEK. Smoke, booze, B.O., the whole nine yards. We have to use air freshener after they leave. It is gross, I agree, thank god none of our staff are like that.

You just hit on one of my big annoyances. I have a couple of friends with really bad B.O. It's the kind that makes them smell like they haven't had a shower in a while and have been working outside in 100 degree heat during that time. What do you say to someone like this? Is it possible that some people just naturally smell like this, and that they in fact do take showers? If they take showers and still have this stench, I'd feel bad mentioning it, but it they don't, and are unaware of the smell, I feel like I need to say something if I can't stand it.

Is it better to say something, or avoid them?

I had a friend like that years ago - he could shower and 10min later he stunk. Found out it was all in a diet of what he was eating - bad Ph maybe - but anyway I do not remember what foods did it to him and what foods he needed to bring into his diet but if I remember right it sure helped. He has long ago moved away and I lost contact with him.