Note to New Members ×

New Here, have questions on sizing

icebiker

Greetings, as you can tell, I'm a newbie to this forum. Occasional lurker, but finally got around to signing up. I have a basic question, but have searched the newbie forums (no content) and FAQ (no content) to no avail, so hope some of you can help out.

I've been boarding for 18 years, gradually working toward a carving style over the past 8. I ride what I guess you'd call an all mountain setup (Supermodel 174, Torque 3-strap bindings, airwalk freeride soft boots). Part of my delay in moving to a full carving kit was the challenge in finding hard boots large enough. I now have a set of older Burton Reactors and plate bindings. Tried them on the Supermodel at the end of last season, wasn't wild about the set up. The board felt overpowered, like the camber was too soft. So, I'm in the market for a stiffer (but not race-stiff) carving stick and need your advice on what to consider. I have read the Carver's almanac (very helpful), but here are the questions that still remain:

a) for my size/weight (6'3", 190lbs), what range of total length/running length should I be considering? I tend to prefer blue groomers in the AM, then would switch to the Supermodel for post-lunch runs.

b) which manufacturers run toward the wider waist widths?....given my foot size and preferred stance angle, I'm looking for something around 25 cm...surely they make carving boards for us Big Foots, yes?

c) if I was looking for a slightly used board, which brands hold up best? I have been a Burton rider since the beginning (with a brief daliance with a Kemper in the late 80's), so that's all I really am familiar with.

I'm sure I'll have more questions later, but answers to the above would help me get started.

Thanks in advance folks,

Greg

what size boots do you have?

a) I am 5'6" 175lbs. I ride a Speed 160 and a FP167 and I cant wait till next year so I can purchase a real freecarve board in the 170's range. Since I run mostly blue groomers its not so much the lenght but the sidecut radius you should look for. What type of turns are you looking for. tight >>>smaller radius >>> under 10 or medium>>>>larger radius>>> 10 to about 12.5 after that you are looking at the big arching pigs.

b) dont know to much about this since I ride burton and the waist widths on them are small under 20cm. but I think the smaller the better big fan of the 18cm waist width

c) so far my burtons have held up. but I only go about 10 times a year

I have Size 14 (Mondo 31.5) canoes for feet, hence my concern about width. I prefer tighter turns (tend to freak out at going overly fast...prefer nice easy turns across the fall line)....my instinct tells me go for something like a 165-170, but seeing as the steeper the stance angle, the less maneuverability one has when you have to suddenly quit the carve and skid around some obstacle or other trail disturbance (yard sale, etc), I'm thinking that a smaller board might be better (e.g. 160) since it would be easier to swing around (less length/swing weight to get in the way)...just not sure if at my weight/height this would overpower a smaller board. I started on an old Elite 150, and rode a Cruzer 160 for a while shortly thereafter, but that was when riding was simply glorified sledding and sticks were ironing boards with graphics...I've stuck with 170+ since then, so am a little uncertain about going any less for the kind of riding I do now.

The widest production all-mountain carving board is the Prior ATV, at 23.5cm waist width. The ATV will allow you to ride powder and off-piste, but will still carve very well. The widest production carving board is the Donek 170 Peterson FC, also with a 23.5cm waist and 10m sidecut (turny). At your height and size, you should also consider the Donek 175 Behle GS, which has a 23cm waist, however the 13m sidecut might be a bit long for your first alpine board. If you like to go fast, go for it. Or another wide freecarving board is the Donek 178 Behle FC with a 22cm waist and an 11.2m sidecut. Beyond those options, I would talk to any of Donek, Prior, or Coiler about having a custom wide alpine board made. They are all very helpful and can advise you on your purchase. Coiler has a lengthy wait list though.

I hope you've seen our Welcome Center, and this article on How to Buy an Alpine Snowboard.

Good luck!