Note to New Members ×

Catek short vs long plates

tdifan_2003

OK, here is a question for more experienced folks on the forum. I just bought a 173 RT with Catek bindings (a few years old). They came with short plates.

I am about 187 lbs.

My questions are - do I need to get long (and 1/2" thick) and if so - where can I get a set, provided they are a little older model.

Please let me know,

Thanks!

wouldnt it be best to ask Jeff Caron this? direct catek?

I was once checking about cateks, and was told that short is an option if your feet are small enough and youre not keen on the super precise stiffness of the long plate

Im in a 27, and was told I could ride the short plate if I wanted something more forgiving

Thank you guys,

Didn't mean to throw a question and not follow up, but just came home.

So, as I said I am around 187 lbs and my boots are 29. I am able to fit them on the short plates and there is space for probably half size more.

About Catek, I tried to e-mail them as well and the reply was that they're 100% sold out on the long plates. They did not specify if this was for the new or old ones.

Millen

Thank you guys,

Didn't mean to throw a question and not follow up, but just came home.

So, as I said I am around 187 lbs and my boots are 29. I am able to fit them on the short plates and there is space for probably half size more.

About Catek, I tried to e-mail them as well and the reply was that they're 100% sold out on the long plates. They did not specify if this was for the new or old ones.

Millen

If it fits ride it, if it doesn't feel right you can always look for long plates mid season after he's gotten the inventory back up

I have ridden the shorts, and the longs. I was in the same quandry. . . right on the edge between the two. I have settled in on the short plates for several reasons.

1) they are shorter, well duh . . . I can not ride the same angles on the long plates on my boards. The long plate would drag before my boot would.

2) they are lighter. . . sure, not by much, but I can feel the difference

3) they are a hair softer. Dont think you would measure the difference, and its probably between my damn ears, but I like the way the shorts feel better.

4) They are pleanty stiff. I forgot where, but I believe Jeff shared the finite element analysis of the short plate. . . im not too concerned about any form of "equipment failure" associated with the short plate. I think I would classify myself as an aggressive rider, and have never been concerned about these. (The weekest link has always been my boots . . . I used to rip a heel off my boots almost every season).

just my 2 cents. . . but you are a little closer to the edge then I bsaed on your boot size. Set the plates up, and then take a picture of them from the side.

~tb

Thank you guys :),

I'll stick with the short ones - they should be OK, and, well, I can;t find long anyway ;).

Now I have to work on the lift/cant, something I have not had the pleasure having so far. I have Burton race plates on my other board and I kinda like the setup. It's nice to be able to paly around though.

Once again - thanks a bunch and have a safe season :ices_ange .

Millen

Millen,

Make a treck to some mountain that has a catek loyalist or two. I think you would be pleasently surprised how comfortable the cateks can be made based on the adjustability options. If you find someone who really knows how to adjust them, you can pretty much tell them where you feel any stress, and with a few small twists of the wrist, have it disappear.

If you can make it to Vermont, or to the ECES, I could run you through it VERY quick. Or, during your first day of riding, keep in mind anything that isnt 100% comfortable in your lower body. Even over the forum, I think we could get you dialed in very quickly.

~tb

~tb,

thanks a lot! I will check my Burton race plates and will try to come close to their settings (lift/cant). I felt pretty cofortbale with them last year.

Vermot should have very good places, but for now, we are planning a Veil vacation around February. Last year, there weren't many carvers in Veil, so i don't know if I could find somebody to give me some hints for the Cateks on the spot.

Anyway, this forum is great!

Thnaks for all the advises!

Millen