Note to New Members ×

Bode hassled by the man

Jack M

Anybody here have a friend or relative splatted by a speeder or a drunk?

have you? If so, which? I do not think lumping these 2 together is right.

I am not necessarily opposed to keeping local roads the limits they are at, but 55 for a major interstate or highway? ridiculous. Can some of our German friends chime in on AutoBahn safety?

Barry

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...as a German I would really recommend that you shouldn't raise the speed limit here in the states. And I have a few reasons for that:

- at least half of the cars here couldn't legally be driven in Germany

- most of the freeways are not save to be driven on at high speed

- on/off ramps are way to short

- getting a drivers license here is a joke

And yes, I wish it was legal to drive faster - could probably cut the time it takes me to drive to Tahoe in half...

But unless they introduce annual (or at least semi-annual) technical inspections for cars, they improve the freeways and make it harder to get a drivers license, it's not save to increase the speed limit. You have to remember that everyone will be allowed to drive fast...

Hagen.

Guest Mark Jeangerard

In Germany, and all over Europe if I'm not mistaken, the commercial drivers have to log every inch of travel they do. The logs include speed, time on road, distance, and probably other stuff I am unaware of. Producing these logs at checkpoints or any police involvment is mandatory. To not have a log, or a corrupted one, is a major offense that includes heavy fines among other potential inconveniences.

How long until it's in every vehicle? As Jack said, the era of Big Brother is (perpetualy) upon us.

That being said, I think the race track is the place for speed. It's kinda set up for that. What with all the gravel, and runout, and rules about helmets and roll cages.

That being said, I am frequently over 100mph on the road leaving my ski area. Two mistakes in the last 15 years, neither critical. But I pay my taxes and am due an airlift at some point.

[edit] After Hagen's post I'd like to add that, yes, the cars over there are pristine. The attitude is much more serious. Americans of today would have a tough time thinking correctly to survive getting to work.

I too agree with Hagen. It is far too easy to get a driver's licence here. I got it on my first try, granted I consider myself to be a good driver, even if I do drive fast, but a friend on mine failed the test 5 times, and then by process of elimination of what she was doing wrong she passed. She is one of the worst drivers I have ever encountered and should not be driving. I also noted just today of people's inability to merge on the road. Its not a hard concept to grasp. I would love for driving here to be more like it is in Europe, with strict inspections and the like. For now, I'll just fly whenever I can.

________

Silver Surfer Review

That being said, I am frequently over 100mph on the road leaving my ski area. Two mistakes in the last 15 years, neither critical. But I pay my taxes and am due an airlift at some point.

and what about the other person (s) you injure or (more likely at those speeds) kill?

the other issue with speed here is that 95% of the people on the roads are utter dip****s, especially SOCKER MOMS (talk about a LOW form of life!) in their huger than huge rigs, and shouldnt be on a bicycle going 15 let alone an auto going 85!

fact is, the majority if laws wouldnt be necessary if people weren't incapable of reasonably regulating themselves

So it kind of started off with some railing about the po-lice, and haven't better things to do. So they need to be there, and if they weren't the drunks would be out there even more than they are now. So if they see a speeder, chances are the guys one of three things: A. Drunk, B. An idiot that doesn't think rules should apply to them, or C. Someone who's not paying attention to what's happening around them. Any of these 3 are dangerous, and anyone of these three out to be ticketed, or at the very least B & C out to be given a warning. But if they're not stopped, what's to happen?

Stats have said 80% of all drivers think they're excellent. The observable tells quite a different story.

_

I'm 44 years old, always drive 5-10 mph over the limit, have been stopped many times, and have never gotten a ticket, ever. I even got stopped last year for going 83+ in a 55 mph work zone. I was an idiot and deserved a ticket, but even then I didn't get one. If I had, I certainly wouldn't have blamed the cops.

So why do I never get tickets, and others get do? Are some people are just trouble-magnets, or unlucky, or in the wrong place at the wrong time? Could attitude toward the cop have anything to do with it? Maybe it's because I'm not a smartass who thinks the cop should have been doing something more important, and they can sense that when I am talking to them.

Anyhoo, I think a lot of minor traffic stops net bigger, unexpected fish, so I say keep it up. Besides it's good income for the city and the threat keeps most people driving somewhat safely.

I always try to go as fast as possible. The way I figure it, that's the safest way to drive. See, the more time you spend on the road, the more you are at risk of getting into an accident. Consequently, the faster you drive, the less time you spend on the road, and your exposure time is minimized.

And another thing. You look at any accident, if just one of the cars was going ten mph faster, that guy would have passed by and been gone before the accident had a chance to happen.

I should write a book about safe driving. You want another tip? OK, here's one: Most accidents happen when people get too relaxed, complacent. Like when you're on a busy freeway, everybody tries to drive in the center of their lane, nice and smooth, steady. This is the wrong thing to do because it lulls everyone around you into a false sense of security. You want to weave around a little, speed up and down, that kind of thing, maybe jerk the wheel once in a while. That puts everyone around you on high alert, they'll be watching you and really be on their toes.

From the Steve Dold school of offensive driving.

Guest Mark Jeangerard
and what about the other person (s) you injure or (more likely at those speeds) kill?

a. No traffic

b. I'll run myself off before I hit you.

c. I can guarantee that.

d. Aint none of your nevermind my abilities, practices, or preachin' unless I choose to make it so.

After reading Hagen's interesting comments, I can't argue with his thinking. You don't even have to speak English to get a license here. And I know motorcylists in part of Europe have to ride smaller cc bikes a certain amount before moving up. So how about a compromise, like a national minimum 65 mph limit on all major roadways (toll roads, interstates, etc). By this I mean, these roadways would all be 65 mph or greater.

Steve Dold, are you implying I am a smartass? As far as cops and being a smartass, I learned that the hard way years ago while drag racing a friend. I am not happy when I get pulled over, but obviously I am not going to make a scene- then they would have even less time to issue more tickets to all the speed criminals out there. Once all the speeders are off the street, violent crimes will go way down :lol: "Good income" for the city- weak reason IMO. There are more effective ways of making income. For the record, I am a big fan of Chief Wiggum (and his henchmen).

DSub, if the soccer mom is hot (aka MILF) then exceptions are to be made.

I think it's interesting to note how nobody has brought up the fact that most states do not really have set speed limits. Instead, most have a general speed law that uses a posted limit as prima facie evidence that you were going faster than was reasonable for the conditions.

What this means is that you can legally go 120mph in a 40mph if it is safe to do so. It also means that doing 30mph in a 50mph zone could get you a speeding ticket if it's icy.

Of course, because our courts and "law enforcement" are based primarily around revenue generation, many states like NH will still fine you for going 68 in a 65 despite the fact that what you are doing is perfectly legal.

Thanks Jack. Oh yeah, ALWAYS be sure to slow down for stop signs :eek:

Barry, no, not you personally, just anybody who is stopped and acts in such a way as to irritate the cop and influence him toward teaching someone a lesson. The prejudicial way you paint traffic cops negatively with that broad brush of yours makes me wonder, though.

a. No traffic

b. I'll run myself off before I hit you.

c. I can guarantee that.

d. Aint none of your nevermind my abilities, practices, or preachin' unless I choose to make it so.

ya lost me with that d, although how you can guarantee the results of a mishap is beyond me, but hey, if youre that confident have at it!

Guest Mark Jeangerard
After reading Hagen's interesting comments, I can't argue with his thinking. You don't even have to speak English to get a license here. And I know motorcylists in part of Europe have to ride smaller cc bikes a certain amount before moving up. So how about a compromise, like a national minimum 65 mph limit on all major roadways (toll roads, interstates, etc). By this I mean, these roadways would all be 65 mph or greater.

I started out on minibikes as a kid. Then, you know, the Hodaka 80, Trail 90, that kind of stuff. When I turned 15 my dad got me an RD200 and I got my licence to drive right on the day I was 15 and 1/2 as was the law in California. I didn't get car until I was 18.

It has always been my thought that everyone should have to spend their first year driving on a motorcycle. You will learn how to drive with awareness or you will not survive. Both of those things would help the American highway.

With respect, Bode doesn't know what it is to be hassled by the man. Being hassled by the man is receiving a $237 ticket for running a red light...on my bicycle.

I was going to pay it in pennies, but the logistics of that are a bit beyond me, so I'm going to settle for the second most annoying U.S. currency: Sacajewa dollar coins.

With respect, Bode doesn't know what it is to be hassled by the man. Being hassled by the man is receiving a $237 ticket for running a red light...on my bicycle.

Cops who give tickets to bicycle riders are really overzealous. I got one too in May at 6h30 in the morning when there are no cars on the road. I argued with the cop that I only endanger myself and not others and he then gave me a really stupid example. In the end, my ticket was only 37$, bit it still sucks.

Cops who give tickets to bicycle riders are really overzealous. I got one too in May at 6h30 in the morning when there are no cars on the road. I argued with the cop that I only endanger myself and not others and he then gave me a really stupid example. In the end, my ticket was only 37$, bit it still sucks.

What was your "offense"?

For the record D I can't wait until my wife is a soccer mom then she will be even hotter. My four year old wants to play next summer soooooo here comes my Milfy soccer mom dream.

I was going to pay it in pennies, but the logistics of that are a bit beyond me, so I'm going to settle for the second most annoying U.S. currency: Sacajewa dollar coins.

I also have the hots for Sacajawea as she comes from the Salmon River country that I have claimed as my own. I don't think I have seen two coins over here. So as long as it the coins with which you seek to punish the aberrant law maker/takers and not the image or spirit of Sacajawea that is fine.

Someone else posted about learning to ride on a Hodaka. I am surprised anyone in this country still remembers what a Hodaka is. I learned to ride on one too.

Jerry

For the record D I can't wait until my wife is a soccer mom then she will be even hotter. My four year old wants to play next summer soooooo here comes my Milfy soccer mom dream.

heh. obviously that was a broad generalization, and I suspect that a "soccer mom" in Idaho is a hell of a lot different than a SOCCER MOM in SoCal.

they are quite often the worst drivers on the road, aside from asians and young girls, and are almost always in HUGE trucks that IMO should require special licensing.

there's a whole set of implications here...self centeredness, etc and on and on.

does your wife feel the need to drive an Expedition even though she only has one kid? or two even?

heh. obviously that was a broad generalization, and I suspect that a "soccer mom" in Idaho is a hell of a lot different than a SOCCER MOM in SoCal.

does your wife feel the need to drive an Expedition even though she only has one kid? or two even?

2 door explorer sport for 2 kids and a dog. she hasn't started talking about a bigger car yet but I know she is getting pretty tight in that one. And of course up here we have and use often the four wheel drive.

Jerry

Well, a bicycle is considered to be a vehicle and subject to the same traffic laws cars are.

The MS150 organizers are always harping on us, the riders, to obey the traffic laws while we go through the little towns we go thru lest they lose their permits for the ride next year.

And, in TX, the speed limit by law is 35 unless otherwise posted-and it is a law