Note to New Members ×

first layout

Guest Jagger

Who remembers your first fully laid-out carve Mine was on an old avalanch twin w\soft boots the guys Iwas riding with thought I had just nearly fallen and pulled it out at the last minute. Any other different experiences.:D

My first was up at Mammoth coming down Scotty's in fresh windpack on a 177 raceboard...I was going way to fast and needed to slowdown I just remember cutting this long heelside so far that it went uphill a bit before I rolled it back and dragged my chest carving out of it... I spent the rest of the day trying to repeat that feeling (I didn't until later that year up at Grand Targee on +50degree corduroy). Come to think of it I still get wood thinking of that day...it totally changed my way of looking at snowboarding

I remember my first, but first some background: Last season I bought an F2 Asym from a pawn-shop, not knowing much about alpine but wanting to try it [softboots had been my thing for 8 or 9 years]. I rode that for a while with some ski boots, so I knew what carving was to a degree, but it was only after I met a bunch of very friendly and generous hardbooters at my local hill that I got the chance to really carve. One of them [Todd] lent me what he probably considered to be the worst board in his quiver, a Factory Prime, and even some Cateks to go with it [F2 binders aren't 3D compatible], but it was like riding an I-beam in comparison. I remember the angles were high, and still are, but I could get soooo deep and still carry speed and pop back out. I got to the steep part in Challenger and linked my 3 best turns ever up to that point. In reality, it was a curse: I'm hooked! The moral? Hardbooters are probably the nicest people on the mountain you can meet.

Originally posted by Tommy D

Yep! I was definitely falling over when I had my first! ;) It was one of those self preservation things; falling over and headed off the trail, so I dug in and made an arc. I came to a stop laid out, but it felt cool. Looked cool, too! :D

Pretty much the same for me! I was hooked.