Note to New Members ×

elan balastic 171 vs burton ultra prime 168

Guest rtrayz

which one would you get? i have an opportunity to purchase either one of these and i'm torn at which one to pick. i am looking for the best all-round board that will turn quick and hold up at long speed carves. my specs are 5'9" 180lbs.

thanks

mike

I've owned both boards. The Ultra Prime is a good all rounder, fairly damp, easy to ride, and decent at speed. The Ballistic is a very lively ride with a fairly tight radius, tighter then the Burton I believe. My Ballistic used to toss me once in a while before I realized what was happening; if I was too sudden when changing edges the board would literally act like a spring and just toss me. After the third or fourth time I figured it out and learned to be smoother during transitions. I think both boards are fine - just different.

I'm 6', 180+ lb, and have an UP169. At first I thought the board was neato. It turned effortlessly and held a line okay, was forgiving at moderate speed, and the base was way fast. Once I started railing turns harder and was messing around with my riding technique, I found the board to be sketchy at speed, and overly eager to turn with only modest input. I then favored a stiffer board. However, I do prefer the UP169 for moderate, softer conditions. And it's easier to thread through crowds than my FP173. I think of it as a carviing board I can relax on, but don't want to count on at high speed.

Guest Todd Stewart

stay away from ultra primes, especially the yellow and red ones; that was a bad year. I know too many people that have broken that board including myself. When I was 15 I split the core of my 168 ultra prime laterlerly (tip to tail). The board is made for someone that weights 200+, at the time I only weighted in at 120. I think that pretty much sums up how i feel about burton boards.

I like my Burton boards just fine. And you can find them for short money. I've yet to break any board during the past 15 seasons, but know of plenty broken boards, Burton among others. Bode Miller broke one of his skis a couple weekends ago. Does that mean his skis suck? I'll say the UP is a nice, quality board for getting a grip on carving. I can't offer any input about the Elan deal, but either of those two boards may feel a bit lengthy if either is to be your first alpine board, IMHO.

i have been riding an older rossi 159 for about 4 years now and feel like moving up a bit. i would consider myself near advanced level and need something better at speeds, but still will take tight turns at slower speeds.

thanks

boys like Doneks in all shapes and sizes. My UP was good to learn on but is now my rock board and my Ballistic was sold after demoing a Donek FC. You can't go wrong with a Donek Freecarve or any other version. I'm sure the Coilers are the same but I have not had the opp to ride one yet to give an opinion.

Guest Todd Stewart

my buddy has an elan and i'll ask him tommorow how it rides, i just can't trust burton boards since i know too many people who have broken them. I do hear the new burton speed is a good board though, but it will probally be out of your price range. I you're looking for an afforable board, lots of snowboard shops will have the odd alpine board lying around. Just make a low ball offer, who knows you may get luckey.