Note to New Members ×

heelside turn

AaronG

When I first started carving my toe side turns were the strongest and most comfortable to perform. Now that my ability has progressed I have found that my Heelside turns feel much more comfortable and I can carve a much tighter radius on my heelside rather than toeside, anyone else have this problem??

I don't know if that is a problem- that's cool.

I noticed the same thing for a while and I think it stemmed from wanting to stick that healside turn so bad that it became second nature to push it harder than the toeside. Examine your body placement and movements, it works for me but maybe not for all.

Another thing, I used to elongate my turns in the middle of the carve for some reason, I noticed it and so did a friend. It's hard to describe but I had to push harder in the middle of the arc as I crossed the fall line. I don't quite understand how I fixed it but I think I continue to apply pressure to the nose of the board for a little longer to eliminate that pause. Make sense?

Off the subject, we talked about your trip to Utah around Christmas and carving but it looks like I can't get on the mountain till next week. There are a few other guy that might like to meet up and ride though.

Happy Holidays

I think it's only natural to prefer one turn over the other. But it doesn't have to be a problem. I think my heelside is a little stronger. What do you do on toeside? When I feel like my toeside is slipping, I try to exaggerate the "pencil pinching" and hip drop, keeping my shoulders square to the board and level to the hill.

FWIW, I'm the same. It's not really that my heelsides are stronger, but I can definitely turn tighter on heelsides. For instance, I can do 360s on heelsides, but can't even get close on toesides.

I think it might be because I'm more comfortable with the idea of falling on heelsides, so I therefore have the confidence to lean over more and push harder. On toesides I worry about landing on my dodgy right shoulder (I'm regular), and also landing on my face (not the face, anything but the face!).