Note to New Members ×

Need a better way to attach the GoPro to the tip of the board.

patmoore

The camera has a lens on either side that covers more than 180 degrees so that there is an overlap in the coverage.  The software "hides" the pole that the camera is mounted on.   The pole is only three feet long.  I used the editing software to make it appear that the camera is futher away.   Mounting the camera to the board part way through the video didn't work out as planned.   "Sammy B" at  the end of the video is a local entertainer.

• Like 1

Yeah, you need the distance of the pole to get the perspective. The first frames there look good though. And you can cut multiple sections out of the spherical video, even from the same segment, so you can make it look like you have multiple cameras if you like. 

Either hand works well, I've found. Low or high pole heights tend to distort the rider (making body/ legs to short/ long) etc; you have that about right there I think. Another approach is to stick the pole in your backpack, which gives a different angle, better than holding the pole straight up.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions.   Two years ago I won a lottery (with about a dozen other guys) to  make a run with Bode Miller at Snowmass.  He was introducing Peak Skis.  I mounted the GoPro on my helmet.  You can click and drag to change the view, even look down at my skis.  Editing and uploading 360 footage to make it function online is tricky.  I use four different programs to get the final result.

Edited by patmoore
  • Like 1

Such a cool camera angle - mounted to the tip of your board. Hope you figure out a more secure mounting system. The camera image after detachment really had my head spinning😵

Very neat video with ability to swing the view around. Looking down at your feet or swinging around to any angle. Love your stickers

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jack M said:

Is it my imagination or does your front foot tilt back (toe up) with respect to the board on heelside?

The Catek binding is set to have a little toe lift on the front foot but it stays locked in place.  The fisheye effect of the GoPro creates some distortion.  When I mount a GoPro Hero 8 the distortion goes away.  This video was shot four years ago.  168 Madd and F2 Race Bindings.

And here's a screen capture.

tipcam composite shot snowboard.jpg

Edited by patmoore

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Jack M said:

I meant does your toe flex away from the board on heelside. 

Suspect that the motion we're seeing is relative to the camera mounted on the nose of the board. Rider tilts the board midsection, but nose and tail don't tilt to quite the same amount due to board twist.

• Like 1

Here's what I used about 10 years ago to mount a GoPro to the board nose. I used it when I started out hard booting to look at my body position to improve back then. I haven't had a GoPro mounted like this for a long time.

Buy an aluminum GoPro mount so it's less likely to break and it has a completely full flat surface area underneath. The one I bought is no longer available but something like this will do:

https://www.amazon.com/LUORNG-Surface-Aluminum-Release-Interface/dp/B0BKG5X61H/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2C056FG26H1WO&keywords=Horizontal+Surface+Quick+Release+Buckle+Mount+For+GoPro+HD+Hero+2%2C+Hero+3+Camera+-+Black&qid=1703610013&s=electronics&sprefix=horizontal+surface+quick+release+buckle+mount+for+gopro+hd+hero+2%2C+hero+3+camera+-+black%2Celectronics%2C162&sr=1-4

Then use clear Bathroom Silicone Caulk from Lowes to adhere it to the nose area. It'll stick well, but you can still remove the silicone from the board if necessary with a plastic scraper/plastic putty knife and Goo Be Gone. Let it dry for at least a couple days to ensure it's all dry and secure to the board and mount.

Still always use a tether of some sort to the front binding though, as there's always the chance the GoPro can still come off. 

IMG_4507.jpg.89992249af11c47045c6917e231a29f9.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've also mounted to the front of the board with a go pro, found to use the surfboard mount - it has more surface area and and should adhere better and withstand atleast some weather better. But always keep a leash.....

Even then it's difficult to detect when if fell off when you are in the carve. 

This is footage before the surfboard mount, and also when I was also trying to record some of my posture issues. 

https://youtu.be/giD1SdQdGPQ?si=SffHLCoCW9915Toe