Note to New Members ×

The Best Alpine Snowboarding song... EVER!

Guest Thrillkil

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an ex-cellist I'm giving you a lot of room with the C clef. The C clef, and it's rarely occuring variations, is designed for a handful of instruments (cello, bassoon, sometimes viola, sometimes french horn, etc.) so that a large number of ledger lines wouldn't be needed. Saying "clefs that are actually used today" implies frequency of usage. To that I'd have to say there are really just 2 frequently used clefs. Most music is writen in either Bass (F) or Treble (G). Then, to go and split up the C clef into 2 clefs and act as though they are both "frequently used" is stretching things pretty thin in my opinion.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig --> __________________

whoaqh another cellist

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember in greater hartford youth symphony at hart college of music In cT the year round version of all state no one could beat the cellists at arm wrestling on the piano on stage left. yet ..........

you are all right on

The thing to remember is classical score was usually written with viola in alto clef sometime special passages were written in alto for other instruments. For any conducting class at any music school of stature I have ever heard of the four traditional clefs are still expected to be read automatically by a "want to be" conductor.

before i go any further with this anyone who is not cello familiar download the soundtrack of yo yo ma from the chinese movie about the famous sword, you will find that a cello in harmonics can actually go higher than a violin it is related to the air column harmonics of the interior volume which the violin does not have enough of from it's size. Believe me on this as a cello and violin maker if you want we can take that proof to a new thread. It is a similar phenomenon to some of the unusual air column harmonics that happen in pipe organ pipes. Yeah I started at Hartt College of Music on pipe organ at age five. Switched to Cello in second grade

So you have a symphony score, even Walt Disney's Pinocchio, written in four clefs. True except for symphony score the alto clef is little used. But is is Imperative for cello solo work.

When you have a range from full bass c to higher than a violin in harmonics as used in Boccerini's concerto or Corelli's sonata or CPE Bach's sonata and concerto's you need all four clefs.

So yes the cello is a difficult instrument; at all state we had violinists making it after five years of study. Yet no cellist made it with less than ten years of study. The cello is just as sensitive to finger position and location and pressure as a violin, yet you have over four times the fingerboard and range to screw up on........

food for thought

If you can play a concert with a cello you can play a concert with just about any instrument you care to learn. 12 string "Leo Kotke " style ,Julian Bream style classical , or have John Hartford teach you, while he is screwing around with dad's Hamond organ, Josh White blues while visiting Ovation Instruments in 1968

yeah get me going on music and we really are brothers of a kind

GWS:D

y

I have these really neat headphones tha fit into my heomet and have Koos 100$ plus sound

OH yeah little bro

This old dude had twenty folks form the over 70 senior club at the maountain dancing dancing neqar the high speed detach six pack lift to Apocalyptica

last year

Gws

i have a rare only made one year radiosahck to jcompete with the best stereo with 175 watts per four channels and four monster speaker with 8 ihnch tweeters and 8 inch mids and 20 inch woofers.

Even the wife son and Daughter can get down on this one on the big system

enjoy!!!!!!!!:smashfrea

whoaqh another cellist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I rarely mention the fact I played cello as it was only for a year and a half. From 6th grade to the middle of 7th I switched from violin to cello, but since bringing it on the bus was against their fire code I had the choice of buying a second cello (well, my parents anyway), one to keep at school and another to keep at home, or going back to violin. I love the rich tone the cello has and reluctantly switched. I did buy another cello while in my last band. I was going to use it in the studio to put some tracks down, but we broke up before we got that far along and ended up selling it. I do have an accoustic clamp-on pick up that can be used on just about any stringed instrument, and ran it through some trippy effects.

Violin, viola, cello, and bass are all extremely similar to play. While you do have to stretch and reach for notes on cello, your fingers can get caught up on each other with the tight, fast fingering of violin. My daughter has a 1/2 size and sometimes I play it to make my full size seem more freed up.