Note to New Members ×

The Best Alpine Snowboarding song... EVER!

Guest Thrillkil

"Dorkestra"

One project I'd like to pursue is heavy metal bassoon. Yes, heavy effin metal on bassoon. Think of a long and silly and dorky song. Ah yes!

Rime of the Ancient Mariner interpreted by Iron Maiden. Like that.

Given, taken at face value, 80's metal is complete crap. And of course, there's little to gain from listening to it.

Hmmmm:lol:

As someone who studied cello for 14 years I am familiar with the bassoon.

In HS playing as a "ringer" for concerts in many smaller area symphonies in CT and Western MA I often would be asked to play the bassoon part as they did not have a qualified bassoonist.

Interestingly, the bassoon and the cello are two of the three instruments in the symphony that play in all four clefs. They play in bass, tenor, alto, and treble clefs.

Some heavy metal was really good but 90% was, as has been suggested, just a lot of noise. Apocalytica is a Finnish classical cello heavy metal group playing both heavy metal covers and originals, and classical trios. So A study of their works would yield adequate startup fodder for heavy metal Bassoon.

On the other had if you are just being funny and said it as something that would sound ludicrous, once again Truth is stranger that fiction.:D

GWS

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to say whether it's a joke or something I think should be pursued. Perhaps it's better not to know! :eek:

The unfortunate truth is..you cello players have a much easier time covering all 4 clefs. I can play MOST of the bassoon part to the Rite of Spring (although, can't get my vibrato to sound as good as a professional...big surprise)

That's about has high as I care to go. Plus, my Moenig Brothers Bassoon is happiest mid-range bass clef. It gets finicky and out of tune unless I'm playing at Mach 17, in which case, it's just a slurry of squeals. The good news is, in the 1st Bassoon part in the Haydn trumpet concerto, the first movement is striking similar to that. Unfortunately, due to the presence of a dope head pedophile music teacher at my highschool next year, I'm dropping bassoon.:( Anyone want to buy a mint 1950's Vintage Moenig Artist Special? :lol:

Some people have found it to be a warcrime that my first Zeppelin album was the "Chamber Maid" orchestral cover of Led Zeppelin II.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjX3oAwv_Fs&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjX3oAwv_Fs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

The unfortunate truth is..you cello players have a much easier time covering all 4 clefs. I can play MOST of the bassoon part to the Rite of Spring (although, can't get my vibrato to sound as good as a professional...big surprise)

This is true, I agree. We used t have a saying in the symphony "there is always room for cello". It is actually true. In the video of the original three tenors concert at calla calla you can see the main cello section in the normal place front and to the right of the conductor. But, then there is another whole group of cellos in the middle near the second violin section. You can bet your last dollar they are not plying cello parts. Then there is an album called Latin Cello. It is a cello only orchestra. Interestingly enough some of the cuts are from hector Villa Lobos' tribute to Bach, which he as a cellist originally wrote for all cello symphony. LOL

Long ago I made the move from concert performer to violin and cello maker.

http://www.thefiddlefixer.com

Don't give up playing just find a private mentor and take the bassoon to metal or blues or whatever on your own.

GWS:D

Go to a decent record store, you'll find a group called the Bassoon brothers.

They take EVERYTHING and play it on bassoon.

My only problem with that, and one thing that makes me want to stay away from african-american and blues influenced music is that the bassoon isn't used as a bassoon, it's used as a saxophone with the harshness taken away. I'd like to do things in a manner that actually makes the bassoon sound other-worldly and just plain weird, like a proper bassoon does. Would you take a noble french horn, and play payed-by-the-note Jazz on it?

"Dorkestra"

One project I'd like to pursue is heavy metal bassoon. Yes, heavy effin metal on bassoon. Think of a long and silly and dorky song. Ah yes!

Rime of the Ancient Mariner interpreted by Iron Maiden. Like that.:D

I already did the electric violin with a couple original bands. I've made the full circle back to all accoustic.

post-6711-141842257824_thumb.jpg

Kingcrimson, Here's your 2 instuments together.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDU4n2iWpFY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDU4n2iWpFY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Interestingly, the bassoon and the cello are two of the three instruments in the symphony that play in all four clefs. They play in bass, tenor, alto, and treble clefs.

I only know of 3 clefs, G,C, and F. G would be what you would consider treble, C would be tenor OR alto, and F is bass. But then the C clef isn't found on either the conductors score or a piano score since all notes on the C clef can be placed on the combined G and F clefs.

Well, that's correct and incorrect at the same time.

There are only truly three clefs in the aspect that only three symbols are used, but the positioning of the clefs denotes the "clefs" we were referring to.

The 4 clefs that you see today indicate their namesake, the G clef's swirl denotes where G is, the F clef's two dots are positioned on either side of where F is, and the C clef is centered on the line which it indicates. But that's all preaching to choir.

We were referring to the positioning of the clef on the staff. I've never seen the G and F clefs repositioned, which my guess is why they're not called G and F, but simply treble and bass. The C clef is the only one I've seen repositioned on the staff, either on the third line, denoting Alto clef, or on the fourth line, denoting Tenor.

I recall a music theory class, in which a whole slurry of obsolete clefs were presented, and the C clef was repositioned 5 times. If anyone has an image of that, I'd be interested to see it again.

"There are only truly three clefs in the aspect that only three symbols are used, but the positioning of the clefs denotes the "clefs" we were referring to." This I agree with.

All the others can be placed in and around these 3. If you want to get specific there is also the Soprano & Mezzo-Soprano Clefs, Baritone & Subbass Clefs, French Violin Clef, and Octave Clefs. These other "specialty" clefs all fall in one of the 3 "true" clefs and as you said use one of only 3 symbols. You could take the C clef and move it up and down the staff and there are "names" for different possitions, but for discussing music across the board only 3 clefs are referred to.:ices_ange

Well, this is a bit like discussing drilling a snowboard for bindings. It used to be used, but does anyone REALLY do it anymore?

The only time I've seen the C clef used is when I'm cranking out a Tenor clef part, or when I'm staring at a viola part.

Honestly, I could sit around and discuss music theory all day. Anyone can, but it's just so damn complicated. :lol:

Went to a music theory site. Here's a rundown of every clef there is.

Treble

Bass

Alto

Tenor

French violin

Soprano

Baritone C

Baritone F

Contrabass also known as Subbass

Mezzosoprano

Then there are 7 Octave clefs...

Octave up G

Octave down G also known as vocal tenor clef

Octave down double treble

Octave up F

Octave down F

Two octave up G

Two octave up F

All 17 of the above uses one of 3 "clefs". The position may vary and sometimes additional symbols are use along side, only in the octave clefs, so to take us back to the beginning, when it was said, "all 4 clefs" I could have only assumed the reference was being made to the G,C, and F clefs.

You could also count the percussion clef as a clef even though it is only used to measure beat, but I don't since I play music, not banging.

As an ex-cellist I'm giving you a lot of room with the C clef. The C clef, and it's rarely occuring variations, is designed for a handfull of instruments (cello, bassoon, sometimes viola, sometimes french horn, etc.) so that a large number of ledger lines wouldn't be needed. Saying "clefs that are actually used today" implies frequency of usage. To that I'd have to say there are really just 2 frequently used clefs. Most music is writen in either Bass (F) or Treble (G). Then, to go and split up the C clef into 2 clefs and act as though they are both "frequently used" is stretching things pretty thin in my opinion.

The frequency in which you see them depends on the repertoire.

For an elementary school band, you wouldn't expect to see much of the C clefs.

However, a quick search through my instructional materials yielded some good results.

Page 26 of the Lentz Method for Bassoon, Book 1 introduces the Tenor Clef, and reads

"The Tenor Clef with middle C on the fourth line is used very frequently in orchestra parts and solors and must be learned by the player. This Clef eliminates the necessity of many leger lines and makes reading much easier for the player. Learn this distinct clef like the (F cleff) and (G cleff) and not as a transposition of one of these"

The Lentz book was given to me by the director of the Youth Symphony, it was originally his. "Price $1.00" It's just as oldschool and non-bs as the Rubank books.

The Rubank Elementary Bassoon Method book, page 35 introduces a melody first written in bass clef, with many notes above the staff, to show how irritating leger lines can be, then followed by the melody written in Tenor clef, to show how much easier it is to read.

It is then followed by "Tenor Clef may be placed on any position of the staf, indicating Middle C"

The C clef is shown in various places on the staff. Interestingly, enough, it is only referred to as the Tenor Clef, not the C clef in this instance.

The Tenor Clef is again mentioned on page 23 of the Rubank Intermediate Bassoon Method book, with a melody titled "Change of Clefs" which begins in Tenor Clef, and then changes to Bass Clef.

In addition to these, I've got some of those cool CDs you could buy for a few bucks that had specific instrumental parts to songs, and without even popping the CDs in my drive, I can see both of the cover of the Debussy and Mahler collections, and the Tchaikovsky and Mussorgsky collections have the "Fagotti I" parts as written in tenor clef.

I coulda sworn I had a pile of bassoon concertos all written in tenor clef...oh well.

Long story short, to me, it's outlandish to say that the C clef is a rare occurrence, when a quick search of elementary bassoon books showed usage of the clef. The majority of concert band works do not utilize the tenor clef, however, in orchestral works, the bassoon isn't simply another bass instrument that's thrown together with trombone, but it's a bassoon! Also, the majority of songs we play in the Symphonic Dorkestra at my school have the Violas playing in Alto Clef. Mind you, this is at the middle school level.

Anyway...

Here we are as contractors for Disneyland..Top row, middle of the picture, brown hair in need of cutting. Equally as tall and in need of a haircut is my very pink counterpart. I told him that we need to take some paint thinner to his bassoon and rub off some of the finish so that it matches his skin.

http://home.earthlink.net/~ureiner/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/dissym45.jpg

Interestingly, enough, it is only referred to as the Tenor Clef, not the C clef in this instance.

Next topic.... Pop, Soda, Coke, or Soda-pop? Which one is it?:D

I forgot to add, I meant that the variations were rarely used, not the C clef all together.:o

Absolutely, I apologize, I thought you wrote as if you really only commonly saw G and F. That said, in a good number of situations, it's true, the C clef is one of those "Is that as fun as snowboarding?" situations.

Now..technically, Coke is cola, derived from the kola bean, while pop and soda generally refer to all carbonated drinks, except in the case of Tonic Water, which is generally referred to as such due to the common practice of adding quinine to the bever...

Okay, I'm done BSing :lol:

You ain't seen nothing until you've seen the Rite of Spring transposed into bass clef!

Completely useless, but fun to write out either way. :smashfrea

And if Frampton had a bassoon.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l7PRqOdQLc&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l7PRqOdQLc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

One of the better uses of a school owned bassoon...

<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CETqMu80cac&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

Interestingly, enough, it is only referred to as the Tenor Clef, not the C clef in this instance.

Absolutely, I apologize, I thought you wrote as if you really only commonly saw G and F. That said, in a good number of situations, it's true, the C clef is one of those "Is that as fun as snowboarding?" situations.

Now..technically, Coke is cola, derived from the kola bean, while pop and soda generally refer to all carbonated drinks, except in the case of Tonic Water, which is generally referred to as such due to the common practice of adding quinine to the bever...

Okay, I'm done BSing :lol:

Surprisingly enough, it is common in the state of Georgia for any carbonated beverage to be called "Coke". I'm not from Georgia and think they are whack. Where I live we call it pop, as in red pop, grape pop, orange pop. We call the clear, unflavored, carbonation... soda, as in soda water. It can also be called tonic water, and when ordering an adult beverage both terms are often used. Ex.: Scotch and soda, Gin and tonic.

It seems that most New England states use soda to refer to carbonated beverages. "Eh, ya wanna get a soda?" Soda is accepted where I live, but I have seen where in smaller towns at say a mom and pop diner, soda is considered to be a float. (or as the French say, "pop ala mode")