Note to New Members ×

Herniated disk anyone?

skategoat

Looks like a lot of us are suffering off-season injuries.

Six weeks ago, I hit the boards hard during a hockey game (hooked from behind) and felt a twinge in my back. I just thought it was a muscle strain and didn't do anything about it until this week. Kept hurting - burning sensation down the left leg, difficulty bending down and getting out of chairs. Finally saw a doctor who diagnosed a herniated disk.

I can't get a CT scan for 6 weeks due to our overloaded health system. I will be taking Advils and visiting a physio in the meantime.

I know this is a pretty common injury so I'm looking for some advice. What should I expect from the physiotherapist? How do I know I have a good one? Is this thing going to heal by carving season? What's it like snowboarding with this condition?

Six weeks for a CT scan? It should not take more than 6 days!

I don't know much about it... but I'm pretty sure that you'll be back in form way before the season started... since you've already had 6 weeks "recovery." PT won't fix the disc... but it will help you keep from aggravating it and thereby letting it heal (and avoid injury in the future).

It's all about core strength I guess... As a 5'8" 150 lbs (1.75m, 68 kg) forward playing in a league where the average size is 6'0" 180 lbs (1.85m, 81kg) I'm knocking on wood! I got slew footed a couple of games ago and had a slight shoulder separation, but it went away after about a week or two.

Heal up!

Originally posted by skategoat

Looks like a lot of us are suffering off-season injuries.

Six weeks ago, I hit the boards hard during a hockey game (hooked from behind) and felt a twinge in my back. I just thought it was a muscle strain and didn't do anything about it until this week. Kept hurting - burning sensation down the left leg, difficulty bending down and getting out of chairs. Finally saw a doctor who diagnosed a herniated disk.

I can't get a CT scan for 6 weeks due to our overloaded health system. I will be taking Advils and visiting a physio in the meantime.

I know this is a pretty common injury so I'm looking for some advice. What should I expect from the physiotherapist? How do I know I have a good one? Is this thing going to heal by carving season? What's it like snowboarding with this condition?

Bro, I am 3 months post a Laminectomy and partial Discectomy.

I had numbness and lack of function in my right ankle do to a herniation of the l5 disc. If they recomend surgery make sure the herniation is in a place they can reach, Mine was Not and I am still having some pain in the top of my foot and back.

Over the years I have had great success with knee scopes, right about now I cant say that for this back situation. I may be speaking to soon but I have secured an apointment with a Neuro to check the nerve function. I have given up one of my passions and that is Softball for this season. First time since 1981 that I will not be playing. I just hope I can ride again.