Note to New Members ×

23-24 Trip

I'm planning next seasons trip. I'm looking for best grooming spots on the Icon and Epic passes. I'm limited for time, so I need the 2 best resorts in Colorado. I'm looking at Deer Valley and Snowbasin in Utah. And Schweitzer is a must in Idaho. From there it's my normal stops at Whitefish and Heavenly. Any insight will be appreciated Thanks in advance.

For the Ikon pass, I really enjoy Solitude in Utah. I think their grooming is very good, although the layout of the resort is strange. I had fun carving at Brighton too - especially at night, which is unusual in the western US.

I have not been to a lot of places in Colorado, but I enjoyed some great grooming at Copper this past year (Ikon pass). Beaver Creek and Vail are also consistently ranked as having some of the best grooming in the country, and both are on the Epic pass.

• Like 1

I’ll ask the other Utah residents to chip in, but in my limited riding this year, I enjoyed both Snowbasin and Solitude. Park City and the Canyons are places I’m still exploring so I have limited experience there.  Image below is from Snowbasin a few weeks ago. To the left of that run is a “bowl” which I found to be more akin to an enormous wide and long halfpipe. I will say that in general, I’ve found guests at Utah areas talkative and outgoing.  My advice on Colorado and Utah is to not overlook some of the smaller resorts.  Several have snowcat trips.  Still tons of places here I have not gone.

IMG_4563.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 6:18 AM, CB Utah said:

I’ll ask the other Utah residents to chip in, but in my limited riding this year, I enjoyed both Snowbasin and Solitude. Park City and the Canyons are places I’m still exploring so I have limited experience there.  Image below is from Snowbasin a few weeks ago. To the left of that run is a “bowl” which I found to be more akin to an enormous wide and long halfpipe. I will say that in general, I’ve found guests at Utah areas talkative and outgoing.  My advice on Colorado and Utah is to not overlook some of the smaller resorts.  Several have snowcat trips.  Still tons of places here I have not gone.

IMG_4563.jpeg

Are they ever not talkative? Most of the time the expectations of being a boat anchor is... "until we unload at the lift". So you know you aren't trapped in any social situation longer than necessary. Don't even need an escape plan, "have a nice day, BYE!". 

Less dependencies and less obligations == good.

Edited by Odd Job

Powder Mountain is just across from Snowbasin and has limited day pass sales, quite during the week relative to other resorts here. No snowmaking so it's best to show up mid January or later. If layed back is your style you'll enjoy it here.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/2/2023 at 12:26 AM, Gossamer said:

Powder Mountain is just across from Snowbasin and has limited day pass sales, quite during the week relative to other resorts here. No snowmaking so it's best to show up mid January or later. If layed back is your style you'll enjoy it here.

I'll second Powder Mountain enthusiastically!  Maybe not the best ski area for grooming but for a great Utah powder experience with really fun terrain options; I had an absolute hoot there.  Things might have changed since I rode there in 2016, but with limited ticket sales, an infrastructure that screamed "f* luxury, go out and ride" and limitless options for riding the trees without ever dead-ending... like I said an absolute hoot.