Note to New Members ×

Early & late season boards, what do you ride?

CB Utah

I would suppose we all have our “Ferrari” boards that we lovingly wax, tune, clean and ride during the main season, but do you have an older board or boards set aside to use that you don’t cringe as much when you hit dirt, small rocks etc. and you use this board to ride early and/or late?  If so, what board is it?  Asking because I’m having a such a blast late season on my highest performance board and want to acquire more, but I’ve got a dilemma.  I know I have to sell some of my other boards first.  Also,  I’m encountering more exposed tree branches, rocks, dirt, and ground squirrels popping out of burrows in the trails, (not on the side, but in my path).  I’m up in the air as to which board I’ll sacrifice as the rock board and interested in everyone’s thoughts.  

personally, early season is about conditioning and remembering bad habits. late season is just about being outside snowboarding. i don't ride a performance minded board at either stage of the season, with some exception. my alpine quiver is all kind of performance minded... so it's softies early/late. non custom boards, easily replaceable.

I'm not particularly worried about putting some battle scars on my boards - I mostly buy them used. If I know it's really rocky, probably one of my freeride bords. Spring slush calls for those anyhow, or for my old Tankers... 

That's the problem with riding an every day "Ferrari".  It's no fun riding the "Mustang" at the end of the season.  I'd rather stay with the high performance ride and take my chances.  That's what body shops are for.

• Like 2

For me just depends on how cold it got the night before.........if it goes below freezing  the groomer can lay it down and I'm on the Ferrari......but late winter eventually rolls into spring conditions even here at 6200ft for Squaw base and then it gets problematic so I downgrade to the everyday work board that can carve but will ride that slush transition line that you know your going to hit somewhere moving down off the summit. 

6 hours ago, dhamann said:

personally, early season is about conditioning and remembering bad habits. late season is just about being outside snowboarding. i don't ride a performance minded board at either stage of the season, with some exception. my alpine quiver is all kind of performance minded... so it's softies early/late. non custom boards, easily replaceable.

4 hours ago, BlueB said:

I'm not particularly worried about putting some battle scars on my boards - I mostly buy them used. If I know it's really rocky, probably one of my freeride bords. Spring slush calls for those anyhow, or for my old Tankers... 

I second these notions, both.

”softies early/late”…….”old tankers”,

respectively.

Buy a board, beat it like a redheaded step-child, buy another. Support your local board builder. 👍

Honestly, I have boards that I consider "rock" boards, but I just pick a board that I want to ride that day. I try not to overthink it...

• Like 1

Frank from Virus:

"These boards are meant to be ridden"

Rode my brandy new thirst from day one this season. No longer pristine, but I enjoyed every motherlovin turn i made on it. So worth it

Mario

Edited by big mario
  • Like 2