Note to New Members ×

Looking for some windsurfing gear

Eboot

After mulling over getting back into windsurfing again after many years, due to inconsistent wind where I will frequent, I have opted to explore wing / wind / surf foiling and am putting together a starter kit.

A new sport buddy is going to be lending me a wing / wind hybrid board and I have sourced a wing and foil suitable for starting and my weight (190lb)

I am looking for some cheap gear to explore the wind aspect of this. Anyone got anything lying around?

• Mast (SDM by default unless mast, foot and extension are all provided the same), 430 - 460 ish
  • mast foot
  • Mast extension
  • Boom (160-200 ish)

I am expecting to have a 5 and 6.5 m sail (at $80 each), small for normal windsurfing and expected wind, I believe ok for a wind foil at about 15 knots.

Any foiling equipment would be interesting to see as well, i have nothing purchased yet.

• board should be at least 120 l
  • wing 5-6 m
  • foil - large starter

Hey EBoot, I have a handful of windsurfers, sails, masts, booms, bases, etc. as this is my spring/summer way to get the carve on.  They are all stored in a trailer and in very good shape.  I have a Starboard Phantom 320, a Kona One, a Bic Techno 293, and a Goya Volar.  No foil stuff, I only windsurf. That said, if you are beginning foiling or just getting back into windsurfing, what I have would be great for you. All late model stuff, no old crappy gear. The Goya Volar that you could take off my hands is a year and a half old and 160 liters. I am 210lbs and can uphaul pretty much any size sail on this board. I have SDM as well as RDM masts, and sails ranging from 5.5M up to 10.5M. This Volar can take any size from 5 meter sail up to a 9 meter. Got a full kit for you so all you need is water and some wind. 

Too bad I didn't see this post earlier, I was just in Acton, MA this past week!! Let me know if you would like to see pictures.

Chris

If you are a proficient windsurfer, for quick progress in foiling I think starting with windsurfing is easiest. One new element at a time.

My first try foiling was on rented windsurfing equipment and I could do a sustained flight almost immediately. Then I bought a kitefoil (I hardly windsurf nowadays) and I found the balance more tricky and it took me a bit longer to keep it on the foil consistently. In windsurfing, having the mast to board connection simply gives more control over the board & foil inclination of the longitudinal axis. 

I only tried wing foiling when I was fully at ease with kite foiling. I got it on the foil immediately, quite steady, but being new to the wing I found balance a lot more difficult. If I had not been at ease with a foil yet, I certainly would have struggled a lot. Having a wing in your hands for the first time gives nothing like the balance that a windsurf sail provides. So I'd say start windsurfing until you master the foil, and then grab the wing.

I intend to buy a wing foil set, especially for wave riding. We have shitty waves here, and the good thing is that on a foil you can ride anything, also any swell. With kitefoiling you really have to keep paying attention to the kite, especially in light winds when your speed often exceeds the wind speed. Park and ride is not an option. Wing foiling that seems to be no issue at all, if you watch videos where they just drag the wing behind them in one hand while wave riding. 

Edited by TimW

19 hours ago, Chris C said:

Too bad I didn't see this post earlier, I was just in Acton, MA this past week!! Let me know if you would like to see pictures.

Thank you - I have DM'd you

9 hours ago, TimW said:

If you are a proficient windsurfer, for quick progress in foiling I think starting with windsurfing is easiest. One new element at a time.

Good advice - thank you!
I will keep you posted on progress.  I will have a large volume hybrid to start with and a large pumpable foil: may even be able SUP / surf with the setup