Note to New Members ×

How warm will you ride?

Keenan

This may be a sore subject at this time of year, but as our Timberline spring season will go until 5/28 this year, I wonder how warm people cut off trying to slide?  I have the option of going 3-4 days in the next couple of weeks but won't because daytime temps will reach 60 plus degrees with no freezing temps at night.  That means it starts off sticky and gets worse. Generally, any temp above 50 is too warm for me.

If their open then it's ridable imo........

Just need to be 1st chair/go early and use good sex wax.   Best I've found is "Fast Stik Glide On WaxWarm rub on.  Alot of shops have it around here.  It's pricey at $30 a small stick but one application last  me a good 10+ runs on the hotest days and a good 2 hours most days.  When I feel I'm dragging some  I just hit it again in the lift line and rub it in with a piece of 3M Scotch Brite pad I carry with me. You can buy them  at any hardware store for like $3 for one.  Most other warm conditions rub on is paste and only last 3-4 runs.

The lifts here are on "Spring Hours" and only open 8am - 2pm and it's slush by 11am  so I'm usually done by 10:30am

This Stuff Is Tha Bomb!

https://faststik.com/products/faststik-warm

What also helps is to have  good structure on your base.   Really makes a difference as moisture level in the snow increases.  With good structure it decreases resistance for that water moisture to run off. 

Have fun riding the slush!    I AM!

I'm heading to Iceland  in a few weeks - end May, early June. There it's warm, but it's "spring snow" stuff, not powder but granulated, which works if you hit it "in condition".

The guides work the mountains so you should never hit any bad conditions, although over several seasons I've seen some terrible snow. Everything from very steep frozen sastrugi through rained-on blue snow so slow I've walked away from paid-for helicopter time to stop riding it. When it's that bad (only had it one day in 5 trips), the board sticks to it, and it's inconsistent, wax doesn't help.

You tend not to get "slush" in Iceland, it's either reasonable corn, ice, or [rarely] rained on garbage. Altitude and aspect are massively important.

Here is some of that "dirty wet snow" stuff:
spacer.png

And so I don't make it look too terrible, here below is some rather better stuff, but you can see it's at least "sugary" and wet. 

spacer.png

10/10 on what @barryj said about Fast Stik. I too used paraffin in slush long ago and loved it but the Fast Stik isn’t as clingy to dirt like soft wax.  

Warmest this year so far for me  was at Snowbasin (UT) and it was 55 degrees F.  Overheating was my main concern.  Dry fit shirt worked nicely.  Rub on wax won the day; other boards I didn’t use that on stuck and almost threw me forward on the slope transition.  

It claimed it was 47 degrees F at Solitude (UT) today but was more like 52 at the base.  I had a blast and will go until they close.  Note line between clean snow and grunge snow in photo.  

IMG_4702.jpeg

Edited by CB Utah

Fun fact: Lifts will spin in Arizona even later than Timberline's spring season (but not summer, of course), through May 29th. I always enjoy railing morning groom, even if it’s slush. 

Edited by TWM
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just for idea, it was 55 degree on the top of Mammoth at 7 am yesterday. Very slushy conditions except, as usually, prepared race courses. Both day I was riding till end at 1 pm. This weekend was real zoo everywhere around Mammoth.