Note to New Members ×

Recommendations for one boot: splitboarding and hardbooting?

• 2 weeks later...

Phantom Slipper is the only boot designed for splitboarding.  The boot sole length is significantly longer than a carving hard boot but since you have small feet it shouldn't be a problem.  

Really though, you want a proper hard boot for proper hard boot carving.  They're too heavy for splitboarding though and not available with the tech toe for skinning.  If you're just gonna mess around on a regular board at the resort Phantoms are fine, but they're not suited to a narrow race board for example.

You need two pairs of boots.

Welcome to ASB.

You only need one pair of boots.

I use Atomic Backlands with the Phantom levers and they're better on hardpack than any dedicated hard snowboard boot I ever used before. I don't compete or Eurocarve, but for general riding hard in powder and at resorts, I want nothing else.

The Phantom Slipper is a cut-down version of the Backland; unless you need something softer than the Backland (unlikely if you're interested in hardboot carving), then I'd not think those particularly relevant. I ride a lot of powder and never felt the need to cut anything down.

• Like 2

My vote goes for Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD modded with DGSS springs. Shorter sole than Prime but still longer than dedicated snowboarding hardboot (not a big difference though). I rode Backland Carbons last season but after breaking two shells, I gave up and switched to Hawx. No problems since after some 50 sessions. I mostly practice EC with those boots and prefer them over Swoard EC12 for everything else than racing (EC12 are soft hardboots but still too stiff for my liking).

Bear in mind that compared to softboots, Hawx Ultras are about the same footprint or shorter with bindings because you don't have the heel loop + highback construction taking space. The videos I have posted the past month are all with Hawx Ultras. I ride both positive 46/55 and -25/+25 duck with the same boots (duck angles are that extreme to reduce bootout until I get wide enough board). Here's a photo of the current duck setup.

image.png

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, b0ardski said:

50* of splay??? my hip hurts just looking at it!

Hehe, yeah I'm surprised I could ride that setup. Those bindings don't allow less than 25°. Normally I ride -21/+21 with softboots and -24/+24 is too much, but for some reason -25/+25 didn't feel bad at all with that setup, strange. Here's how it rides: