Note to New Members ×

Telemark carving

Thanks for posting.  I’ve always felt that the telemark skiers’ skills are generally unnoticed and unappreciated by the majority of skiers.  Anyone agree/disagree ?  Haven’t been to Breckenridge in decades but they used to have telemark Santas there, stylishly skiing down black runs around Christmas time, some taking on moguls.  We’d always cheer on telemark Santa from the lifts.  

Edited by CB Utah
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing those neanderthal. Laying it over! That hand disc thingy is cool. We've been watching some tele races on TV - FIS Telemark World Cup series, which are exciting. They run gates and have to deal with some terrain and jumps. I'm not sure about the rules, but I think they get extra points if they land jumps with a tele landing (or they don't get points or time deducted from their run). The courses have uphill sections. Neat racing

www.fis-ski.com/en/other-disciplines/telemark

https://www.fis-ski.com/en/other-disciplines/telemark

7 hours ago, CB Utah said:

Thanks for posting.  I’ve always felt that the telemark skiers’ skills are generally unnoticed and unappreciated by the majority of skiers.  Anyone agree/disagree ?  Haven’t been to Breckenridge in decades but they used to have telemark Santas there, stylishly skiing down black runs around Christmas time, some taking on moguls.  We’d always cheer on telemark Santa from the lifts.  

Like my name says "Why drop a knee, when you can drop the body?" But, seriously, I enjoy watching a good telemark skier.

The impressive thing is that he is on 'old school' 75mm duckbill boots with flex in the binding and a lot of overhang. He might be on all mountain width skis which helps with boot out but not the carving, well maybe with the Volkl M6 Mantra. 

The racers are on NTN, a much stiffer and narrower boot/binding typically on women's GS skis. The jump used to be 60' with time penalties for not making distance and landing parallel. The whole thing is raced with shoulder height skating poles because about a third of the time is skate skiing uphill. There is a banked "rap" (from Norwegian) to kill your speed and you are flagged a penalty length to skate, like in biathlon.