Note to New Members ×

learning to carve

Guest ghostdog

Guest ghostdog

i am 49 yrs old and have been free-riding for 65 yrs.i have been considering switchin to a carving set-up.do u have to be a pretty good carver on a standard board before making the switch?

i still get a bit of slide on my heelside turns,

Originally posted by ghostdog

i am 49 yrs old and have been free-riding for 65 yrs.

HUH?!?!?!

:)

you know what? I can BARELY carve on my softboot setup...used to be better at it...dunno what happened, but in all honesty Id say its MUCH easier in a hardboot rig, once you get past the forward angles, find a nice, natural, "correct" body position, and just flow.

so, no...you dont need to rip the carves on your soft setup first, BUT...it sure isnt gonna hurt you to be able to do both. I dont know what _my_ problem is:)

Skidded turns are a little more challenging on narrower stiffer boards - you just have to be a little more precise about your edge angle, because with a stiffer board the whole edge is really working for you. You'll adapt to pretty quickly though, it just takes a little while to get used to it. Carving is easier with alpine equipment.

I wouldn't worry about the difficulty - in my opinion alpine gear is actually easier, overall. It takes some adjustment, and might feel more difficult at first, but once you adjust you'll probably find a lot of things easier. At least that's been my experience. Now softboots seem more difficult to me than hard boots. :)

So I say go for it. If you enjoy carving, or just wish you had more positive control over your board, you'll probably be VERY glad you made the switch.

Guest ghostdog

thanks for the info

are we talking 2-3 days to get used to the stance and satiff board or longer? my current stance is goofy with +5 on back and +20 on front

Originally posted by ghostdog

i am 49 yrs old and have been free-riding for 65 yrs.i have been considering switchin to a carving set-up.do u have to be a pretty good carver on a standard board before making the switch?

i still get a bit of slide on my heelside turns,

It definitely helps to be a good carvers on a standard freeride board, but it isn't at *all* necessary. Depending on how good you are at analyzing and breaking down your own body mechanics... it could take from 5-6 day to a full season to feel really comfortable in an alpine setup with high angles (incremental keeping moving up until you get to 55/50). Nevertheless, regardless of where you start you will be able to start learning alpine from there. It is much easier to carve in an alpine setup, it's just a bit harder to skid a turn in a nice controlled way - the board might end up taking you into a carve you didn't intend and run away with you :) (half the fun!) I find alpine boot hardbooting emphasizes and relishes in slightly different aspects of snowboarding and it a lot of fun to try out.

I've been riding alpine about a third of my time for the past two season and I would say that comparatively - given the limits of the equipment (it's difficult not to slide a freeride board on the heelside without a lot of practice) I still carve better on my regular setup. I mean I can lay down an edge harder and carve tighter with a deeper trench in my hardboots and alpine... but I'm still much more fluid and dynamic in softboots - where I can handle steeper and narrower slopes, adjust the size of my arcs more readily, carve a circle uphill more cleaner. My technique in alpine still needs some work in which I hesistate a little before I've gotten into a rhythm when starting, our when I want to change my tempo or style.

Originally posted by rikytheripster

Saw that as well D....we're still none the wiser!

heh. Im sure he meant 6.5?

anyway...depending on your skill level, you could be layin solid carves in a few runs. I was when I first jumped on a PJ in 95. Solid carves interlaced with some serious slams of course:)

Whoops.... That dirtsurfer thing was supposed to be a reply to another thread.

Anyhow, 2-3 days will probably be plenty to get competent on the new board. At that point you'll probably be getting from A to B comfortably. Plan on some extra time to adapt the specialized skills, like carving and moguls and whatnot.

Guest ghostdog

i meant to type 6 yrs

i appreciate the advice and ? encouragement

its a little intimidating from my view but so beautiful to watch

i have tried out the norm

my cross under workd well

i can roll over on to my downhill edge before initiating my turn

i just cant seem to get the high edge angle

i was wondering if the alpine rig would help that

sounds like it might

Originally posted by NateW

Whoops.... That dirtsurfer thing was supposed to be a reply to another thread.

Anyhow, 2-3 days will probably be plenty to get competent on the new board. At that point you'll probably be getting from A to B comfortably. Plan on some extra time to adapt the specialized skills, like carving and moguls and whatnot.

Just so you don't get confused Ghostdog, my suggestion of 5-6 days is in line with Nate's. It just that my estimate includes a little bit of the specialized skills he's talking about and being able to do a little more than just get from A to B.

itll definitely help. a lot. but it should be stressed that with the right soft setup its not impossible.

I'll bet $100 that if you give it a go, you wont look back. seriously

I also agree with D-Sub an alpine setup will definitely let you get a higher edge angle. However, if you know what motions/body mechanics are requires and practice you will be able to get a high edge angle on a freeride setup with softboots as well.

LOL, Sounds like D-Sub is offering to buy you your first alpine snowboard - you can pay him back after you've decided you want to commit to alpine :D

ghostDog,

Don't go out and spend a ton of money on hard equipment. You can have just as much fun carving awesome turns on a soft board. Do yourself a favor and try to find a stiff freeride board. Place your stance angles about 35 degrees front and 38 back. Bend your knees as deep as you can with each turn and drive them into your turns. You will carve as nice as most hard riders. Don't get to caught up on hard riding, with todays harder soft stuff, hard riding can be accomplished on soft gear. If you come across cheap hard gear, buy it but don't make the mistake I did and always ride hard. Go back to soft riding and carve on both setups. JtSlalom 17 year VETERAN Rider

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

False.

While I certainly have much more fun carving on plates, and while I'll agree with Jack in principle, I've seen a couple of folks who make me believe that it isn't an absolute, universal truth.

Example: Slopetool. Watch him ride his Tanker 200 in softies and tell me he dioesn't look just as smooth and powerful as he does on plates.

I would give my left nut to be able to ride that well on any equipment!

Originally posted by Mike T

While I certainly have much more fun carving on plates, and while I'll agree with Jack in principle, I've seen a couple of folks who make me believe that it isn't an absolute, universal truth.

Example: Slopetool. Watch him ride his Tanker 200 in softies and tell me he dioesn't look just as smooth and powerful as he does on plates.

That example proves nothing. A 200cm freeride board is just as un-versatile as any race deck. Softboots simply can't carve as well as hardboots. The only way to come close is with a huge board that holds its own edge for you.

If it were true that "you can have just as much fun carving awesome turns on a soft board", then alpine boards, hardboots, and plate bindings would have ceased to exist years ago, and you would not be reading this website today.

Originally posted by Jim Callen

I agree with Jack. I switched from a soft setup for that very reason: I didn't have any fun on it. I ride my hard setup exerywhere, park, pipe, out of bounds, and I find it to be phenominally more fun than softies.

This may not be true for Jack or for Jim, but I personally enjoy general carving on my freeride setup more that I do on my alpine setup. I certainly can't carve as deep, fast, or tight as I can with my alpine rig... but I'm not the type of person who needs to have superlatives to have fun (not everyone has to be extreme or hardcore to the max)

So you "can" have as much fun carving on a regular freeride setup... but that doesn't mean you "will" have as much fun... that's a personal preference. You can't rationally dictate what *everyone* wants.

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

That example proves nothing.

I am only claiming that proof that your statement isn't the absolute truth. Jack - as a generalization, I do agree with you. I suspect that 99% of those who try can carve deeper, harder and faster on plates. Just not 100%

Originally posted by jtslalom

JtSlalom 17 year VETERAN Rider

oh...jeez...did I forget to drop the "Ive been riding since 1989?"

shoot.

look...you CAN carve VERY VERY good turns on a soft setup, hell, even one that isnt all that stiff! Anyone that says you cant is a damn fool.

BUT, the precision and power are magnified many times when youre on a full on hardboot rig

but that also means that mistakes, inaccuracies, and snow conditions are amplified as well.

for all around riding, its obviously a better choice to find a good solid all around board (a lot of people like rad-air tankers here, and I ride a steepwater 171 that carves pretty damn well and can handle all terrain just as nicely)

jtslalom is right tho, and youll see it a lot here, guys that ONLY ride carving setups (and then proceed to mouth off about how "those guys are f__s"! :))

its all snowboarding, and just like anything else, if you over-specialize you risk neglecting (and missing out on) other possibilities

Hard boots just make it easier to carve faster/harder/deeper/specialer, and in my book, that make them funner.

Getting back to the original topic, I got into hard boots about 10 years ago because I wanted more control for bumps and random off-piste stuff. I only got seriously into carving about 5 years ago, though in retrospect I wish I'd looked into it sooner.