Note to New Members ×

Sundance and/or Brighton Weds Mar 8th?

slabber

5 hours ago, slabber said:

Board bag is at the hotel so I am a go for this evening.  

I had that happen to me at Sugarbush in Vermont. Sent there on a business trip and my board didn't. Received call at 6 a.m. that they found it. Showed up at hotel at 3 p.m. I would have driven to get it.

Lots of positives, especially for a close by place.  Fun affordable area, uncrowded, with friendly people.  Good lighting once they clicked them on.  Big jumps in terrain park for thrill seekers or for entertainment while riding lifts.  Bet the rest of the trails are good.  Good snow, no corduroy but pretty darn smooth.  We did not explore many of the trails that night but did endure the world’s longest, narrow cat trail with crazy drop offs and semi swerving skiers/boarders one time.  Short drive up to the place off the main highway was epic. Also, FREE ample parking after 2 pm and very short walk to lift.  Only other negative which is not Robert Redford’s fault was the deer piñatas in the highway at night for me, but there’s way more of those towards Soldier Summit.  

I would consider trying Brighton tomorrow night but am wondering about the forecasted snow?  Will it get choppy, how are the runs there?  

I'm staying in Pleasant Grove so Brighton is about an hour from my hotel, longer if snowing I guess.  

• slabber changed the title to Sundance and/or Brighton Weds Mar 8th?

Brighton was awesome tonight.  Memorable evening, only got in just under two hours but so good.  Was dumping on the drive up.  Was worried it'd be too soft for the Contra but had a blast.  Right up til I was hustling for last chair and dug the nose in sharply and ended up augering... felt my front ankle pop in the boot 🥴  

Called it a night and rolled back to the hotel.  Haven't taken off my compression socks yet, took some Vitamin I, and icing it now.  Headed to the Canadian Rockies on Sat - hopefully its good enough to ride with the kids by Monday 😅

Edited by slabber
  • Sad 1

Sounds great; safe travels and heal fast.  I’m curious how was the illumination, trail width, trail availability or selection or other factors different from Sundance?  Glad you made the choice to travel with the boards and explore; beats watching television or throwing darts.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, slabber said:

Brighton was awesome tonight.  Memorable evening, only got in just under two hours but so good.  Was dumping on the drive up.  Was worried it'd be too soft for the Contra but had a blast.  Right up til I was hustling for last chair and dug the nose in sharply and ended up augering... felt my front ankle pop in the boot 🥴  

Called it a night and rolled back to the hotel.  Haven't taken off my compression socks yet, took some Vitamin I, and icing it now.  Headed to the Canadian Rockies on Sat - hopefully its good enough to ride with the kids by Monday 😅

Ouch! Had similar experience at Snowbird for a Company Ski day. On first run, started to lay down a few turns in flat light then hit a patch of ice and slid until the nose grabbed and cork-screwed me around. Had an ankle injury, minor but enough to end my day. I feel ya!

• Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 6:27 AM, CB Utah said:

Sounds great; safe travels and heal fast.  I’m curious how was the illumination, trail width, trail availability or selection or other factors different from Sundance?  Glad you made the choice to travel with the boards and explore; beats watching television or throwing darts.

Just arrived in Canmore tonight.  Flew red-eye from SLC Thursday night to Ottawa via Newark NJ.  Board bag got stuck in Newark...

Drove to Toronto Friday afternoon in a snowstorm. Realized board hadn't left Newark yet and asked airline to redirect it here directly.  I had planned to bring my Prior with TD3 Sidewinders, but without a second bag big enough, skipped it...

I liked Brighton better for night skiing. More terrain to choose from.  I rode the Crest chair for the 2hrs I could fit in.  If I would have had more time, I'm sure there was a lot more to ride on the other side as well.

• Like 1

You got it.  Sounds like A-Basin fun from Colorado days.  Slush waves are the best.  Perhaps I will be moving up to the Coiler 166 and be less noob-like.  The flakes on Wednesday were almost an inch wide but that rain was not welcome.

• Like 1