Note to New Members ×

Alpine skateboard

NateW

NateW,

First, your engineering looks better than mine when I was a college student.  I tried modifying an old Sims board.  I cut two slots along the center axis, installed a set of small bike wheels, installed outrigger 3” wheels at the four corners that would only engage when I edged the board, took it to a steep gravelly parking lot and hopped on.  Bike helmet, no pads and apparently no common sense.  My brackets folded when I turned and I skidded out.  I wish you success.  Your idea looks REALLY fun.  I’d do it with motocross gear on.  This is how cool sports start.  Post vids when you get your board cruising.

14 hours ago, Corey said:

Looks fun, if not insane. Kart tires would be epic. 

We will pray for you! 😉

I am honestly looking for kart tires with the right dimensions. Unfortunately most are either too tall (10-11 inches, I'd like to stay with 8), or they are too wide (5-6 inches, I'd like to stay with 3). The first set I tried look like balloons, which was disappointing. I found another set that's 8x3, but the retailer just has a stock photo, shared by other tires in their catalog, which makes me nervous.

99% of electric skateboards are using scooter tires - which is why I had a spare set sitting around to use in that mockup. It's really kinda sad. Scooters lean into turns, so the tires are shaped like pizza cutters, and the contact patches are tiny. There are two brands of good tires, but one has been out of stock for months and both are a little too small for this inverted-truck contraption anyway.

19 hours ago, crackaddict said:

Holy shit!  How far do you expect to lean?

Probably just until it hurts. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You might try to track down some mountain board wheels.  CarveBoard  made near slick pneumatic tires/wheels as well.

I have a BMW Street Carver or a Loaded surf skate for when the urge to carve on the street raises its head...

Strapped to that board in hard shells is another level.  Pics/Video or it didn't happen.

• 3 months later...