Note to New Members ×

Alpine Injured List...Again! Going in for surgery for a Complete Tear Of My Conjoined Tendon!!!

barryj

• 3 weeks later...

So finally, after two+ weeks PT gets approved and I have had , as of  today been to my 4th of 6 allowed PT visits before my followup workers Comp Doc. visit.  The PT feels great but I don't see/feel much improvement....the pain is still there!

The pain is still there in my left gluteus ,  sitting still makes it worse. I can ride my Alpine board but I feel it's there every run and by the 6th run it is telling me it's getting Pissed! ......and by the 10th run it's  Really Pissed and stinging to remind me....and that's my Alpine day.  10 runs and done! 

But on the Pow board, which has been getting alot more mileage  with all the crazy dumps we have been getting lately I can last a few runs longer but  the couple of times I've plopped in the pow my left abdominal muscles really sting and now I got palm size bruising  under my belly button going down towards the groin area.   

The PT people aren't sure what it is but have ruled out hernia.  It really stings trying to sit up or lay back.  I kind to have to roll into or out of bed and getting up in the morning my abdominal muscles all cramp up...then I don't notice it all day unless I slip on the icy parking lot...which happened and Boy that really stung my front and rear left hip area!

Was out on the Coiler Angrry today and considering the crowds and I'm nursing three injuries (post concussion, hip and abdominal)  I was doing quite well and having a blast!  I felt like I'm at about 60% of my pre injury ability and making some sorta ok but fun turns.  Still loving the Little Bandit!

Going back to the Doc. next Thursday...maybe she will have some new answers! 

• 2 months later...

Ok.........so I Wasn't Just Imagining Something Wasn't/Hasn't Been Right Since I Felt That Pop! in my left hip/butt cheek Feb. 8th!!!!

Finally talked the Worker's Comp Doc.  into an MRI as I was going on 3 months post incident and still having same pain and problems with no improvement!

Just got the MRI Monday...(which I had to wait almost a month to get in!) and the result says I have a complete tear of the Conjoined Tendon!,  (biceps femoris and semimembranosus tendinosis) origin at the left ischial tuberosity with 2 cm distal retraction.

Now gotta wait to get WComp  referral to Orthopedic Doc., which will probably take another 3 weeks! and then another 3+ weeks to get in for surgery I expect!

Because I have had to compensate for my left hip/butt cheek Conjoined Tendon it's been hard to make right turns on my wider Moss boards on groom or pow............and my left ankle has really taken a beating trying to compensate  for my left hip!   Enough abuse that I have Popped! something in my left ankle and it's sensitive when walking on period and also when in my hardboots!   But doesn't hurt road biking or doing squats weightlifting. 

Anybody here had a Conjoined Tendon tear or Arthroscopic Surgery for Conjoined Tendon??  Whats the Post Surgery/Recovery like??

Edited by barryj

• barryj changed the title to Alpine Injured List...Again! Going in for surgery for a Complete Tear Of My Conjoined Tendon!!!

Well. it only took 6 weeks (all of the month of June and two weeks of July) to get an Orthopedic appt. to look at my torn conjoined tendon!   Here's a photo from my MRI.  It's pretty obvious that my left side is quite different than my right!

Verdict is I need surgery to get my carving turn back!.....and to not have it constantly bothering me walking, sitting, biking, etc.....

So I'm scheduled to go under the knife this Mon. July 24th!!  Sounds like a pretty invasive procedure!.....no arthroscopic procedure available for this unfortunately! 

I have to wear a brace for the 1st 6 weeks that immobilizes my left leg so as to not put any strain or pressure on the staples used for reattaching the tendon.

If the procedure , healing and PT go well I could be back out on the hill by April..............so Yep!  I'm out the first 5 Months of next season 😢.....but getting back on the hill possibly by April is a good goal!!   

Wish me luck!

image_1.jpg

Hope your anesthesia & surgery go well, and that you in time heal up well.

Question asked for the rest of us stiff old geezers out there.

Have your physio or surgeon made any comments about what may have resulted in you popping this (beyond that forceful movement you describe in the first post in the thread)? Do you have tight hamstring (back of thigh) muscles on your undamaged leg?

On 7/20/2023 at 6:33 AM, SunSurfer said:

comments about what may have resulted in you popping

Hey SS,

I do have large and tight hamstrings but the Doc. doing the surgery says more than likely I partially tore the conjoined tendon in the initial collision/concussion a year and 1/2 ago, Jan. 2022 when I was airlifted to Reno.....which makes sense because when I was finally cleared to get back on the hill in late March it felt like my boards were broken  as I had trouble turning one direction only but  attributed it to my foggy head from the concussion.

This last season was still feeling like I had no right turn on the wider pow board, Moss PQ60 or my every day driver Swoard Dual..... both in the 27cm+waists.   I didn't have as much trouble on my narrow Donek Rev or Coiler Angrry at 20cm waists......but the wider boards need more hip input/initiation to start the turn.....especially at the 65/62 underhang angles I use.

So this last season, 2023 I felt it pop when I was having trouble turning to avoid a corral wand coming into the lift and had to yank a turn really hard at at very slow speed to keep from running into the safety fence....and that completely tore/ruptured the tendon......that helps your hip make turns! 

So impacts/collisions are the culprit I'd say!

Edited by barryj
  • Thanks 1