Note to New Members ×

Carving Buddies

JohnE

My riding buddy Gregory and I met lapping Lift #8 at our near-Denver ski area Loveland about 20 years ago.

We were both ex-skiers riding regular soft-boot gear. We were both intermediate riders seeking powder and riding mostly intermediate runs on weekend days. We were well matched in our abilities and where we liked to ride. We got on a chair together and we’ve been snowboard riding buddies ever since.

About 5 years ago we borrowed a couple of softboot carving boards from Sean at Donek: a Saber and a Flux. We both loved the Flux and ordered custom Fluxes from Donek. My wife bought it for me for my 62nd birthday.

In recent years we’ve bought mid-week passes to Loveland and haven’t ridden a weekend day since. It’s always Gregory and I and occasionally an additional carver. The grooming at Loveland has been SPECTACULAR and the slopes are mostly empty.    

We’ve been working and working on softboot carving and we both believe that in spite of advancing age, we are actually getting better at it. A couple of other Colorado carvers (Bob & Arne) are real inspirations that we may be able to continue to enjoy the sport for many years into the future.

This season we ordered another pair of Fluxes from Donek and have dubbed ourselves “The Fabulous Flux Brothers”. Gregory is “Sine” and I am “Cosine”. Our new boards have mirror-image graphics and have our names on the tails.   

We love to drive up to Loveland mid-week with little or no traffic, have a bacon and eggs breakfast in the lodge. Be the first chair to load at 9AM and ride 3 ½ - 4 hours straight until our legs can’t handle it any more. Back to the lodge for a beer and an easy cruise back to Denver.  

Our routine is very repetitive but WE NEVER GET TIRED OF IT!

What’s your carving buddy story?

IMG_1395.PNG

IMG_1402.JPG

IMG_1411.JPG

• Like 8