Note to New Members ×

TD3sw heel pad axle

bigwavedave

I discovered a heel pad axle working its way out the other day and just tapped it back in. I discovered it after I felt my heel lifting a little bit after clipping in.

I found one working its way out once years ago. I can't remember if I tried taking it apart to see if there is anything other than friction holding the axle in place. Anybody dealt with this before?

23 minutes ago, dredman said:

After looking at my bindings, yours should look like @slabber's photo with an e-clip to prevent it from sliding out.  The toe part of the SW binding appears to be pressed into place.

I have standard, not step-in heels. Yes, appears to be pressed in, like the toe. I'm a little worried that having worked itself out once that it might easily do it again. 

Call Walker first...

A trick for a pressed shaft that's moving is to peen the sides of the shaft in the area that engages the press-fit area. i.e. put it on something heavy like a vise, take a punch and hit it to make a dimple. The steel around the dimple will rise and engage the sides of the hole better. 

Do this in 3 or 4 spots around the diameter before pressing back in. You don't need much of a dimple. 

Loctite bearing retention compounds work well too, but more expensive and you need to clean everything very well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

After tapping it back in I've been keeping an eye on it and it started working out again today. Called walker and he said to try making notches in the hole with a punch. I did that and gobbed some sticky vibratite in there. That should slow it down if it doesn't stop it.

Then I ordered a new heel pad assembly, so the old one will become a spare.

These were bindings that I picked up used (and maybe abused). I suspect this is not a common problem with td3sw since I couldn't find another thread about it.

• Like 1