Note to New Members ×

20 years trying for a partner

1xsculler

I’ve quit carving several times since 2000 because I could never convince any of my skiing buddies that it was coolest thing ever on snow. They wanted nothing to do with it! I just told my 10 year old grandson, who’s a pretty good snowboarder, to watch a Ryan Knapton vid on YouTube and, much to my surprise, he called a few days later and said he watched every carving vid he could find and he couldn’t wait to hit the Mountain with me once I’m healed up from shoulder surgery, around March 13th I hope.

This sport interests few people but it has quite an impact on some, i.e. me and him. I’m pretty excited and even more excited to get back to a normal life with two good arms once this nagging pain goes away!

• Like 5

This is a real problem for us and actually snowboarders in general.  We started our kids on skis because it's easier for 3 year olds.  After they got good on skis they didn't want to go back to being beginners, and none of their friends snowboarded.  I believe the general Snowboarding population has declined because of this.  I did teach them how to snowboard, and they can do it, but they just did it out of curiosity and to humor dad. 

My nephew is pretty good at alpine snowboarding, raced USASA, but has basically hung it up because none of his friends hardboot. 

I'm lucky that my wife likes to ski the same trails as me, she's my default riding buddy.

• Like 1

Yeah, I started my daughter on a board and she was getting it but saw skiers seemingly having an easier time and asked to switch.  So she skis now and is decent at it.  I'm happy she skis as we can go do the same runs as Jack mentioned above. 

I've just started my 5 y.o. on skis as well as I think it's easier for him to get started but hope is he'll want to get into snowboarding.  He's already expressed interest but I want to get him to a point where he can ride the chair and get down the runs first, progress, then revisit snowboarding.  

Two weeks ago I went to Vail to meet up with some old college buddies. We realized that we had first skied together 48 years ago! The 6 of them were on skis. I was the only boarder. They indulged me by not going places difficult for a boarder. The snow was just OK. It was great to get together with some old friends but the skiing and boarding were just OK. 

Yesterday I went to Loveland with my carving buddy. The groom was purrrrfect. The crowds were almost nonexistent. Blue skies. We had one of the best days ever!

It's almost impossible to convey to a skier how much fun you can have on a blue groomer. They just don't get it. I wouldn't either if I were on skis. Turn, turn, turn, turn - always on edge. Fifteen runs. Four hours straight until my legs give out. And I NEVER get tired of it!

• Like 6

I’ve been working on one of my riding partners who works for our company for the past 5 years. Started collecting some beginner carving equipment that anyone who wanted to could try out. I gifted him a demo Donek Pilot complete with Trench Diggers and Deeluxe boots. He still has yet to get on it, but I am thinking this year could be his year. I’ve been hammering him with Japanese softboot carving clips on instagram.  Send him BX board listings for sale and tell him to bump angles up to get the carving bug set. It’s a slow process, but making progress I think. 

• Like 2

I've boarded for a lot of years and with a lot of people, but by far the most rewarding partners are my daughters.  There are no other girl carvers for them to hang out with, so I get to be the one...for now.  

@1xscullerI'm excited for you and your grandson and the added dimension your relationship will take.

• Like 1