Note to New Members ×

What's the deepest pow day you have ridden?

snowburn

First day for this season this year was at a little gem of a mountain Lost Trail MT. Second day opener with 14" fresh on a untouched run with a base of 41". So deep, nose of pow board got buried and I went arse over tea kettle. Took me 10 minutes to pack enough snow under my hands and board to get stood up again. Skier buddy 20 yards from me did the same thing. A lot of work but so much fun.

Today at Bridger Bowl we had 18" of pow with 22" on the ridge with more tonight. What a day! 

What's your deepest powder day? 

14 minutes ago, Jcar said:

Thigh deep pow at the first Montucky Clear Cut at Turner Mtn.  It was nuts!  First time riding that type of snow and by far the deepest.

was it the infamous year 2018? I heard it was awesome! I would love to ride that fall line mtn. with deep pow

1 minute ago, Odd Job said:

Wolf Creek 2022. 2 days of near waist or waist high refills; even right off the lift at 4pm.

I remember one day a couple of years ago it snowed so hard by the time we got back to the top of the lift our tracks had filled in. Talk about endless powder runs!

• Like 2

Hip deep mcc#1, one day at lovey in '07 or '08, I missed my turn for the lift I wanted, and came to a full stop.  I pulled  the release on my back foot, stepped down, and promptly sat on the tail of my board.  Ended up having to lay on my stick and paddle out

• Like 1

I had an epic day at Snowmass, maybe 2 days after SES 2017. Airport was shut down so I couldn't get home, so I went riding. Jim Callen showed me the secret spots and coached me into stuff I never thought I could do. Rode the poma lift at the top most of the day. When the liftie said last run I was genuinely shocked. I was having so much fun it felt like 12:30 or something. 

Then that first MCC. The legends are true. Someone said they got more powder than any heli trip they'd been on. Truly humbling riding with amazing riders that so freely shared tips to help this prairie guy learn more. 

I started riding pow with a tow rope behind a snowmobile in the late 80s. Very different dynamics, but some of the basics cross over. There's no need for speed control... You do what you gotta do when there aren't mountains where you live! 

• Like 1

😉 about 75cm overnight. It's unridable when you get that much though - you can't ride the steeper stuff as everything's sliding, and the flatter stuff... you can't penetrate. I have had many days following a skier-laid single-file track down the steepest safe thing... it isn't very much fun. 

You know you're in the good stuff when you have to time your breathing with the turns. My first ever heli trip in 1989 had that on the first run: I was screwed.

• Like 3

The year was 2002 and we got 58" overnight. The avy control was a huge task and in the end they couldn't open that day. The next night we got 10" on top of the 58" and they opened.

You needed a big long stick and you needed to go as fast as possible to make sure you didn't bog on shallow slopes.

It was fun but 18" is better than 60"+.

dave

• Like 2

Inaugural MCC was epic. If it wasn't that steep the grocer would've bogged down and gotten stuck!

photo via Softbootsurfer from the lift

spacer.png

I have had deeper days at Alpental and Schwietzer (in previous decades) that were snorkel worthy, had to keep you mouth closed and poke your face out the snow wave coming of your chest to breathe and to see the next turn. The whiteroom is not a myth.

Edited by b0ardski
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, philw said:

😉 about 75cm overnight. It's unridable when you get that much though - you can't ride the steeper stuff as everything's sliding, and the flatter stuff... you can't penetrate. I have had many days following a skier-laid single-file track down the steepest safe thing... it isn't very much fun. 

You know you're in the good stuff when you have to time your breathing with the turns. My first ever heli trip in 1989 had that on the first run: I was screwed.

This. 
Anything over 40 cms of (all but the lightest) snow and you have no power in turns, plus the steep terrain is a no-go. 

Edited by Rob Stevens

Plenty of calf deep days,  numerous  knee deep days,  a handful of thigh deep days and only a couple of waist deep days and 1 Day Over My Head!....all here in Tahoe basin.

I won't go if it's over knee deep any more!   If you go down or run out of speed in the flats for any reason you are in for a serious workout....if not a life threatening experience!

The Over My Head  experience was earlier this season, night riding at Boreal after we had had 9ft of snow in 18 days.   It was great waist deep riding ...until I decided to go up for one more last! run and I misread  a contour in the night lights and actually just fell/sat back and totally submerged into the white room!  I was in shock how far I submerged just by being tossed off to the side on a contour!  I shot my hand straight up and barely could reach the surface.  Thank god I could reach my TD3 SW SI release levers at the top of my boots!  I'd still be there if I had to bend over and unstrap/unbuckle with  traditional bindings!  As I was not on the main runs ☠️ and off on the fringe of the night lights  ☠️  And Riding Alone ☠️ they wouldn't have found me until months later in the thaw of 2023!     

Needless to say I clawed/dug my way to the surface but it was bottomless.  I had to hold on to my board like the edge of the pool and mantle up on top of it to get out. Then swim/paddle out surfboard style to get back to the tracked runs to get back up on the board..........all of that was/is a Herculean effort not to repeat!

DEEP Pow lessons:                                                      You can't fall!    Don't ride the pow alone!!      

• Like 2

76 mt.Hayden Heli tour 125.00 3 runs then forest service shut it down 78 1st cat tour up at Lenado, almost taken out by Avalanche no tours after that!     82 1st Highlands bowl helicopter tour then Bowl opened to public All these were Bottomless Light Fluff on very steep pitches, nothing beats that 😁plus over 50 years and countless Pow runs here on all 4 mountains That 1st MCC was special also😁

and of course, The Avalanche that happened in the Bowl the day after that first Helicopter tour in 82, I was actually looking at my tracks from our house on Red Mt. at 7 in the morning,  I watched this entire event go down and called Mt. Rescue, which saved Lous Life...

https://www.wildsnow.com/avalanches/avalanche-highland-bowl-dawson-1982/

• Like 1

Washington state record: Most snow in 24 hours: 65″ at Crystal Mountain on 24 February 1994.

It was too deep.  That night it snowed another 18".  

We had to roll down the windows and climb out when we got there because the doors wouldn't budge.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, David Kirk said:

The year was 2002

i was in the bozone from '01-'06 and i think it was the '02 year i remember choking in the whiteroom for the first time at BB. a snorkel for the cold smoke is real. pretty sure it was early in the season too and worried about hitting something below as it was waist deep and even deeper when you made a turn. literally could not see and difficult to get any speed. i concur the 18" vs 60". western challenges.

• Like 2