Note to New Members ×

BTS Setup Video??

barryj

Curious, as I have a new set of BTS on the way if anybody knows of a BTS setup video?    I have always just vaguely gone by the included instructions and set ++ forward lean on the rear foot and neutral on the front foot.

aka: winging it!   

Anybody got a better setup explanation?? 

10 minutes ago, skhil said:

It's all there in the manual:

Yes, I know that video, which is mostly about how to install them on your boots, but very little on what goes into how much or little lean to put on each boot or where to start.  That video assumes you already have an idea where you want your boot cuffs to be from riding/using the oem 5 step forward lean/walk mode mechanism.  I know for me and possibly a lot of people the 5 step lock never got me even close to where I wanted, therefore one of the reasons to replace them with BTS.

Additionally I would not call the one page print out  that's on Bomber's website, which is the exact copy that comes in the box a "manual"

I'm a kinaesthetic/visual learner and surely there has to be more than only these two instruction  options! 

Well, the video says mark the desired position and set it afterwards. All the rest is not BTS specific, it is the same with oem mechanism.

BTS doesn't really change the range of the boot movments. Think about it as a way to change the stiffness of the boot.

You probably seen the video by Sean from Donek about forward lean. You can use it for reference.

2 minutes ago, skhil said:

mark the desired position

Well, way back in the day I just installed the BTS and played around with settings until it felt right  and now I just emulate those settings on every BTS setup I do, but there's got to be better steps to discerning your perfect lean positions.   Seems like it ought to be easier/clearer to find those "desired positions"   Otherwise  how do you know how, where to start?

9 minutes ago, skhil said:

the video by Sean from Donek about forward lean.

Actually it's that video where he states you need aggressive forward lean on the rear foot for locked in heel side turns that got me thinking,  there's got to be a flow chart or video on what to look for, how much is enough and how do you start to get there?

The manuals from the same page (new boot adjustments) suggest to use 3 (on OEM lock) as a starting point (and two grades more forward on rear foot). If you don't have a toe lift on the front foot I think it's too forward.

Anyways the final settings depend on many factors: canting, lift, stance width, riding style, and even bindings angles. If you want something rideable to start with you can just mark the comfortable position for carpet riding (weight distributed evenly between feet). It should work good enough while practicing norm.

Edited by skhil
typo

36 minutes ago, barryj said:

Well, way back in the day I just installed the BTS and played around with settings until it felt right  and now I just emulate those settings on every BTS setup I do, but there's got to be better steps to discerning your perfect lean positions.

I think that is exactly what most people around here do. No, I don't think there is an easy way to find prefect lean position. There are too many factors, and as you also mentioned in other thread, the real riding is not the same as carpet riding. So you set something neutral for start and readjust it until you get it right.