Note to New Members ×

Hardboot Pow Riders - Ya Using OEM Suspension, BTS, Walkmode?

barryj

So when I get new 425's I'm going to make the old pair dedicated pow boots.....softer tongue, oem liner and move the BTS to the new boots.   The BTS didn't seem to hinder me in any way when in the knee deep pow but thinking no need for BTS if that's the old boots sole purpose.

So wondering what other hard boot pow riders are doing/using if any suspension.    stock suspension, walk mode, aftermarket BTS style.  ????

My pow ride, Moss PQ60  loves the pow but loves to carve it up also on the groom..............so maybe I'll get another BTS setup  for  the pow board if it isn't as responsive on the groom without BTS.  

:smashfrea  Huh!,  I think I just answered my own question!   1/2 edges and BTS don't impact or slow ya down in the pow but Really come in handy on the groom!!   Geez! ...more shit to order!

With my Atomic Backlands I'm using the Phantom springs, which those Colorado split-boarding guys produce. I've been running them for a few seasons now and they work fine. I don't really need the suspension - I rode the boots with the standard levers in deep powder - but I do need the increased forward lean I can get from the Phantoms, specifically for my back leg.

I ride the exact same set up in back country powder and on piste, although it's taken me some time to tune things so that works.

When I rode hardboot snowboard boots I used the stock suspension and it was fine for me, so I'm not sure that one needs additional stuff. 

Haven't seen the sun for a couple of days, but this is the last time it was out...

VID_20230103_111329_00_067_2023-01-03_15-48-29_screenshot.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

I just back off the springs a few turns on my MS boots and increase forward lean for shallower angles. 

Same here. Once my MS boots were dialed in, I no longer felt a need for my soft Raichles or Backlands. But then, I'm rarely in over a foot of powder and my swallowtail PC carvers work great with hardboots, so maybe not relevant for Barry. ...nevermind...

For pow (splitboarding) I use Scarpa Aliens modified with Phantom springs. They are as light (uptrack) and compact (boot-out matters in the backcountry too) as you can get, and very soft-flexing and surfy. 

Edited by TWM

At first, I have used the Dalbello CarveX, which I have modified to flex more and installed the BTS, in all conditions. 

Later, I have switched to unmodified Dalbellos and just flipped between Ski//Carve/Walk settings on the switch. 

Next came the Head Vega, softer version of Stratos, also just flipping the switch. 

Right now, I'm on K2 Mindbenders AT boots, with my home made springs. 

K2boot.jpg

Edited by BlueB
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, BlueB said:

just flipped between Ski//Carve/Walk settings on the switch. 

Yeah, I'd really like to do this  with my 425's but my pow board loves to carve when I pop out on the groom so using BTS and 1/2 edges really makes a difference on my carving but doesn't seem to cost me anything in the pow. 

I was hoping to get rid of BTS but just haven't found anything better considering I do  both mediums.....on the same run usually! 

On 1/12/2023 at 7:34 PM, BlueB said:

Right now, I'm on K2 Mindbenders AT boots, with my home made springs. 

Interesting setup.
What kind of T-shaped supports did you use to mount the springs on?
Can you still switch between springs and walk?

Edited by nextcarve

5 hours ago, nextcarve said:

Interesting setup.
What kind of T-shaped supports did you use to mount the springs on?
Can you still switch between springs and walk?

I've fabricated them out of aluminum angles, to fit exactly where the bases of the original wylk/ski latch used to be. I still can put that back, in an unlikely event I go touring. 

No walk mode now. But, the springs are very soft, compared to BTS, and boot sole has some rocker, so kind of walkable. 

• Like 1

I have this spring system on my powderboots and LOVE it. (https://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11201) Far better for me than the BTS or DGSS because it is low profile and seems more dynamic without a dead spot in the middle of flex at the neutral position. Not sure if they are still available from the Noble crew but I highly recommend after trying all the other systems.

If a big hike is involved then AT boots are great!  unlocked in the rear foot or with the Phantom springs.  This setup works well but if its deep I probably wont hike far and am reassured wearing intecs which make it so much easier to escape a tree well or just dig out after I submarine

• Like 1