Note to New Members ×

Pleasant Mountain 22-23

lonbordin

Was up at Pleasant yesterday thinking if I can get my pass situation straightened out and take a few skritchy runs I'd call it a good day.

Well guest services was on their game and able to locate my Shawnee Peak purchase on their old system and get me imported into the new Boyne/Pleasant Mountain system.  

Then I took out the new, to me, BXFR I purchased from @Pat Donnelly.  Dude is a seriously nice guy, fun to ride with.

I had the Backlands on as my S5s were having a wee bit of toe room being added at Rodgers.  They did a good job.

Let me tell you the conditions were REALLY great.  They need more snow as you can see in the photos but the ops fellers I spoke to said they were planning to open the Summit lift Monday.  No loud edges, decent groom, low crowds, and good visibility.  I had some fun.  So many questions about my setup.  I know I'm not the only hardbooter that's ridden here but it felt like I was the only one that's ever been.

The day was far better than good... dare I say even pleasant.  

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mqqBgBtSr3hM5yPg7

• Like 1

Back out today, Pleasant opened the summit lift today.  Conditions were good.  I had a blast riding with my son... he had some equipment issues, but he'll get that sorted this week.

Snow was good.  Groom got ridden off pretty quickly.  Not too crowded.  Everything feels good tonight... stoked! :biggthump

Rode the BXFR 40/30... so much fun.  A revelation really.

Edited by lonbordin
They were blowing snow all day.
  • Like 2

Was out at Pleasant from 10:30 to noon today... picking up a fireplace insert out that way.  Pretty crowded... lots of loose granular on a firm base.  Definitely could hear the edges from time to time.  I had a lot of fun riding the BXFR (45/30).  

Lots of carving skiers at Pleasant... nice to watch.... gets me pumped for the next run.  Speaking of runs they opened several more small side runs.  The East side looked to be filling in... I suspect they'll open that up soon.  Here's hoping the forecast gets some tweaks.

Back again today... did the 12-5 shift.  Not optimal but whatcha' going to do.  Snow was decent.  Typical scrape off and push piles from larger crowds.  Had a friend with us.  Been easing into the season....  He hadn't skied for some time so we spent a lot of the day on the greens. 

Their lighting needs moar lumens...

I'm not sure they'll be opening the east side by the first.  Bare ground showing on the lower mtn. over there.

They did open some more trails today.   Looks like early tomorrow will be the last before the rains move in. 🥺

Ah well it will be a long season...I HOPE!  Full of ups and downs, I'm sure.

Was at Pleasant from first chair until the mist/rain started at noon.  I think there might have been 30 people out and a large portion of those were a college ski team training.  

Groom was soft and fairly consistent. Weather was nice until it started misting like heck.  I had a blast. :biggthump

N6hnyGP.jpeg

• Like 1

Oh yeah... Back again... Day Nine says the gate... 

Softer than yesterday but still really fun. Maybe a few more people out but the kind of room that let's a feller carve without fear. 

Low clouds all around the top of the mountain most of the day but only traces of mist.  Visibility up top did drop appreciably at times... 

They didn't groom out the training course from yesterday but I'm not complaining.  

Another fantastic day and my last for a while as I'm traveling until the 21st.

May the powder flow on the icecoast. 

• 5 weeks later...

Paoli was open a total of 5 days this season and just reopened this weekend so not really following me @bigwavedave 😊 I dodged a bullet there!!! 

My season so far is:

19 days at my new local, PM

2 days at Sunday River 

Here's a shot from yesterday at Pleasant - 11f at open, warmed up to a balmy 5f when I left.  Hard to fathom that I'm looking at a place that set those weather records just hours before this shot. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/D2QK12kULkAvCvt69

Today was fun. I've really enjoyed Pleasant this season. I'm getting used to the gaggles of school kids moving like large schools of fish across the mountain. And my ski racers straight lining sensors are fully functional. 

My one complaint is their grooming is sub-standard and inconsistent. Like wildly inconsistent... I don't have an explanation for it yet.

Still... it's so much better than Paoli... I'm so lucky to live here now. 

When I pass that Maine sign that says, "Welcome Home." it feels like it is speaking to me. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Day 25 I think... 

New Contra. 

Several changes at once. 

-Much stiffer, really noticed the stiffness in the tail moreso than any other part. 

-Contra side cut... Ya' gotta arc it or park it... Does NOT like low angle slarving

-Flat base angle. Really grabby. I changed it to. 5 this afternoon. Bruce set the side at 89. 

Most of PM was variable and crunchy. They definitely got some rain yesterday. Found out the skiers right of The Main was fantastic late in the day. In slightly softer snow I was railing it. 

The board is smooth in the carve and can carry a lot of speed. 

I need more time with this fine steed. 

• Like 1

Day 2 of the Contra. 

Put a 0.5 base bevel in it last night and gave it the FastStick treatment. It's now 89 side, 0.5 base

We don't talk about edge bevels enough on this forum. 

What a difference. Board is riding great, no grab, slarves are possible, can whack the tail on the side and throw the spray. Carves feel good. I'll admit yesterday I was thinking I went too stiff. Not so today. 

Couple of runs were alright... Board rode great. 

It has made me add a touch more forward lean to my boots and tighten the DGSS system up a bit. I've also tightened the cuff buckles on my rear boot a bit as well. 

The changes worked out. Still need a little more time but I'm happy. 

• Like 4

I didn't know the conditions could be as :biggthumpgood:biggthump as they were at Pleasant this morning. 

:eek:Mind expanding experience... :eek:  ... so... much... hold...   Carves so deep... yet keeping speed...

Is this real life?  Definitely a day in my personal top five on a snowboard on a mountain.

They got near 7" from the previous storms and this was the first morning after grooming... (I know BWD... second day groom... tomorrow!)

I almost had a continuous carve from the summit down Jack Sprat, The Horn, The Headwall, East Slope.

The Main, Pine slope, and West slope were covered with HERO snow.  HERO.

I overheard some locals talking with Mountain staff how the conditions were pretty good.  All I can wonder is the conditions can get better?!  

Some tracks pics... https://photos.app.goo.gl/K99cGHdPKm5XwPwN6

There were two fellows there on hardboots.  I said hi a couple of times... I wasn't a good ambassador today... I just wanted to carve... everything.

Edited by lonbordin
yeah the east side still sucked... crunchy with marbles everywhere... one and done for that side.
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so slack on the updates... I'm at day 30 at PM according to the gates... my calendar says 32 with 2 days at the River... whateves...

This weekend was really good.  Snow... and lots of it... PM got like 14" storm total.

Sunday I was at rope drop at PM then went surfing in the afternoon in Saco Bay.  First time I've ever pulled the double in that order... always  done the surfing in am and snowboarding in pm before.  Was a fantastic day on the hill and in the water.

Tonight, was crunchy, firm, and rough. I think they had some wet precipitation at PM today... also freeze thaw is in effect!  Was able to find a few decent areas...