Note to New Members ×

Afton Alps 22/23

Scott.Creer

So I made some turns at Afton this morning and conditions were actually surprisingly good. The bad is when you realize that much of the terrain was still closed. It looked like they were getting good coverage with the snow guns on, but I think it'll be a while before a day pass is really worth buying. Only easy Two was open, Murder Bowl, the one right next to seven. Chair 7 was turning but under 7 was still closed and then some of the meadows were open.

• 4 weeks later...

I went out this morning and only stayed 45 minutes. Place was pretty empty. There light though was extremely flat, and I couldn't see a dang thing. I felt really uneasy, and conditions were less than perfect. I need to figure out something better than my high yellows. 

Side adventure yesterday, I brought my oldest to teach him in the meadows. Went to take my boots off at the end, and my left lower boa exploded. Broke at the boot not the dial, no repairing it. So, I went to the house board shop to compare boots like I used to. First time since they renovated. It was terrible. Apparently they went to a more distributed inventory model, and it sucks for those of us here in MN. They only had 2 of the 6 boots I wanted to compare (even though they were available online) and they had 0 in my size. Tried to talk to the kids working, and they were terrible. I get that 99% of their business is online, but does that mean that the in person shop has to suck? I liked it way better before. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice, quiet day at in the Alps. The snow is surprisingly good, and it is sort of hard top believe it's March. Not a brown spot to be found, even in the Highlands. We'll see what happens later this week, with the potential of rain and warmer temps. But hey, it's been a great season! Can't complain about being 100% open (and with great snow), in mid-March.

IMG_20230313_104033.jpg.6402be26a72db1c50d9d3c0b9857fcf9.jpgIMG_20230313_101413.jpg.6cd0456639768c2146972c650629ba6c.jpg

• 8 months later...

Just a heads-up for any Afton carvers that might still be around. The NorAm RTTC will be coming Jan 4-5. You'll see more alpine riders and equipment than you have ever seen in one place and watch as any available groom near the race course gets completely destroyed in the blink of an eye when all the racers emerge to take their warm-up runs before the race.

It will be SL races both days.

They are often looking for volunteers to be a gate judge on the hill. Compensation is typically a lift ticket for the day. It's a good opportunity to see some awesome riding up close.

• Like 2