Note to New Members ×

Bevel turning

Billaus

Hi 

I have bought a 2nd hand Kessler cross 153 for my daughter.

we need to turn the edges on the board, does any one know what’s best to tune the base bevel and the side bevel angles on this board.

as it will be her first time using a race board.

thanks Bill

bx racing may involve some rubbing. "rubbing is racing". some forgiveness in the base bevel may be recommended, so a 1 degree. however, start with a base grind and structure to get board 100% flat. i'm a proponent to keep as much metal on the edge as possible because once it's gone it's gone. if free riding/training and if you have tools to set the edges yourself, start with a 1 or 1.5 on side to get used to a new style of riding and board for your daughter. train on that and then set side to 2 when ready. polish medium for training. polish fine+ for racing. maybe wax sidewalls, boot tips and heel cups with something. some folks with multiple boards may just go right into .7 or 1 base and 3 side for slalom race boards. that's probably a sweet spot for serious competitive strong riders. i beg to differ with the experimenting i've done with edge tunes on bx softy carving boards. to each their own. good luck and let the riding do the rest. wc athletes may or may not share their "secrets" but that's my 2 cents for your daughter based on size board and being a first race board for her. see her on the podium in no time.

• Like 1

Dhammon is correct.  In BX you don't want 3 degrees, 2 is most sufficient even at WC level (although up there it's much more personal preference).  You need a little forgiveness as you navigate the terrain in a BX course and you want to avoid ultra fast hook up if, say. You come off a roller funky.  

• Like 2

On 12/4/2022 at 6:57 AM, Jack M said:

Personally for carving and racing gates I think the magic happens at 3° side and 0.5 to 1° base.

I'm a fan of 1/2 B-E for All my boards, with no detune, even out here in the "No Such Thing As Ice"  Sierras. Out here we have early morning "firm" so a 1/2 obviously destroys "firm" when everybody else is sitting in the lodge for it to loosen up within the hour I got the runs to myself with a 1/2!    I see no disadvantage of running 1/2 edges even on my Moss pow board because  edges don't make any difference good or bad in pow but when you pop back out of the pow on the groom it's the ticket to have!  Even the Moss PQ 60 Pow Slayer with a 1/2 Wants To Carve the groom and will lay down the turns! 

Additionally when I go back home to northern NH,  Franconia is right at the base of Cannon Mtn.  (where Bode Miller is from and notorious for Ice!)  a 1/2 setup is the minimum to ride on the Ice Coast imo!

Jack, what disadvantage to running a 3 edge/side??    I would expect a 3  to be Really squirrely /hooky and you would have to detune the nose  ???  

Edited by barryj

22 hours ago, darko714 said:

What tool is best to check the side and base bevel?

Sharpie a section of your edge, use one of your fine stones (600, 800, or 1000 grit) and very gently work your way up from 0 degrees in 1/2 degree increments until you find what angle takes off the sharpie across the whole width of the edge.