Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 22/23

bobble

3/12/23

early sunday morning. got first and second tracks before anyone else.

snow flurries that lasted about an hour.  conditions were slow but okay. 

started out on milkrun. really good carving. i was content to stay but then i noticed that the chair lift was dripping oil/grease on my new pants. went over to the south chair and stayed on olympic.

there was a half-pipe event. there was a snowboarder standing in the lift line. he looked like he was there for event.  he looked at me and said, "brah, that's awesome". he sounded just like spicolli.

the south chair got busy. it kept stopping so i went back to main chair and used my gloves to block the drips.

around 1030am, i switched to skis.

3/14/23

rode over lunch. surprisingly good conditions. snow was firm, somewhat fast. wish i could've stayed longer.

the only complaint was there were deep tracks from an ATV going up milkrun. it was near the tower. there would be consequences for anyone that rode into them.

olympic was good too.

3/17/23

excellent conditions for highly audible skidding.

brutal conditions for carving. 😡

sub-zero windchill. the rain from yesterday didn't help. 

riding up the chair lift with wind blowing downward was rough. 

crossroads was very fast. difficult to hold an edge. 

same with milkrun. on way down i thought "wtf am i doing?" and just pointed the board towards the parking lot.

left after two runs.

3/19/23

arrived at 10:30AM and there was already a line out the door. still managed to get first chair.

sunny day. grooming was decent.

saw a guy on skis injure himself in the moguls. i was on the chair and saw his skis go up and he went down on his back. he was badly injured. he was with his daughter too. it took several people to render assistance getting him down the hill.

in the midst of this was the two buck hill ski models that were waiting to do a photo shoot of them going down the moguls. the injured skier was not even off the run when the photographer started to set up several yards below where the accident happened. geez... i hope they weren't inconvenienced.

JFC!!! HOW MANY PICTURES OF PEOPLE SKIING MOGULS DO YOU NEED???

highlight was when i was wiping down my board to leave, this snowboarder in his 30's came up, "man, those were some sweet turns... how long have you been riding"?". we talked for a bit. at the end i asked if he had seen any ryan knapton videos. he said no. i told him to google his name and that he'll thank me later.

second highlight when @BobD spiked a guy's snowboard with his pole when he tried to bud. the guy was an adult too.

• Haha 1

3/26/23

rode skis. sloppy conditions.

when i arrived, i stood by ski rack waiting for lift to start running. one of the regulars started talking to me. i recognized him by jacket/helmet, he didn't recognize me. randy walked by and noticed i had skis and said something about being too soft to carve on a board. the skier then said "oh, you're that guy that carves on snowboard... you're really good!".

got down to the lift. the lift sees my skis, "oh trying to be tricky... you're not fooling me!"

later, i was riding up the chair with a regular (chuck) and a woman on skis. she looked familiar but couldn't remember. chuck introduced me to the skier (julia?) who said to me "i didn't know you skied too!". i laughed and told her that i don't ski very well. at the top, the woman headed over to her friend standing at top. it was at that moment that i recognized her once i saw the woman and her friend (blond snowboarder) together. i always see them at first chair.

while still at the top i asked chuck how he knew the woman. i originally thought she was a ski patroller. he said he just met her today on chair. he said that they were previously riding the chair together and saw me skiing down milkrun. she said to chuck, "he can ski too?". she then told him that she and her friend nicknamed me "yellow jacket".

one more day, april 1st. then the lift is coming down. wonder if they will sell the chairs.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 6:58 AM, bobble said:

one more day, april 1st. then the lift is coming down. wonder if they will sell the chairs.

12F on my deck this morning. Sure feels like the lifts should be spinning!

Keep us in the loop. I'd love to buy one of the chairs!

3 hours ago, MNSurfer said:

12F on my deck this morning. Sure feels like the lifts should be spinning!

Keep us in the loop. I'd love to buy one of the chairs!

the social media guy posted recently on instagram that the chairs will be for sale and to stay tuned.

it would be interesting to buy one but i don't know how i would mount it.

April 1st

we got several inches of snow. it was heavy to shovel. the streets in my neighborhood weren't plowed. i wouldn't have made it without all-wheel drive.

arrived early at buck. stood outside the chalet and talked to regular skier (chuck). the lifty walked up to us and we started asking questions about the chairlift.  tomorrow (a sunday) they begin work on removing the chairlifts. they first have to remove snow off the runs in order to use heavy equipment. they're going to make the run a little higher and regrade the bottom. there's going to be a new race ramp. heard something about a deck.

got last first chair of the season.

i was on skis. the runs were groomed. snow was somewhat slow but i was carving on skis with no problem. i lasted until 1pm when the runs were getting rough and i was having problems with controlling my skis.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

Ha! 

true story bro!  i was worried that if i rode an alpine board that i would tear my shoulder. i had no idea what the conditions would be.

i'm not great at skiing but it was the best skiing i have ever done. one of the regulars saw me and said i was looking good.

two hardbooters showed up. i asked one of them (rufus) about carving. his words were "it's rough". it was right around noon when the runs were bumpy and rutted. if it were me on an alpine board i would've left sooner.

20 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

You never know what to believe on April 1st

ms. bobble and i went to Buck 54 bar and grill today. we were the only people there. surprised the place was even open.

on saturday the lifty said that during the employee party the new plans were revealed and might still be up on display at the bar. that was primary reason for going.  unfortunately, no plans were on display.

i asked the waitress when the demolition of the main lift will begin. she said that "there might be one more popup next saturday". 

i find that one hard to believe.

on the way out we found a snowboard laying up against the wall near the bar. found two more snowboards and a pair of skis sitting in racks.  maybe that's how i can dispose of my old gear.

On 4/2/2023 at 5:47 PM, bobble said:

on the way out we found a snowboard laying up against the wall near the bar. found two more snowboards and a pair of skis sitting in racks.  maybe that's how i can dispose of my old gear.

It's kind of like pushing your old couch out of the truck, in Dinkytown.

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Hi!

Nice to meet you all virtually! My name is Leo, and I will be moving from NJ to Burnsville in this winter for race training.

23-24 will be my 3rd snowboarding season, and I enjoy free carve very much. I hope to meet you all at Buck Hill in a few months!

• Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 6:05 PM, LeoZ said:

Hi!

Nice to meet you all virtually! My name is Leo, and I will be moving from NJ to Burnsville in this winter for race training.

23-24 will be my 3rd snowboarding season, and I enjoy free carve very much. I hope to meet you all at Buck Hill in a few months!

virtual greetings and salutations...

whereabouts in burnsville are you moving?