Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 22/23

bobble

Snow was great today! Consistent, firm, and dry like mountain cord, so carves held well. No clouds and lots of smiles from me. Kiddo did well with ski lesson too!

Hi @flatcokeNice to meet you! Yes - looking forward to riding. Sunday AM is often my best time, but hoping I can also get out more T/Th over lunch once the semester begins.

@bobbleOn my way out, met another guy who just acquired his first alpine board! 🙂 We might get our numbers back up again for the Sunday morning carve-carve-fest.

• Like 2

1/8/23

great day. unusally crowded for sunday morning.

lasted until 12pm. on my last run the main chair stopped working for about 10 minutes. i took that as a hint to leave. 

@flatcoke will have to catch up. i am usually at buck weekend mornings. i sometimes ride over lunch break during the week (work from home). 

i went back out in the evening and it was not good for carving. too crowded. crossroads was rutted up. milkrun had races. warners might've been okay.

the lifty at the main chair wasn't doing his job. i boarded with some skiers and the chair slammed into all of us. the lifty was too far forward to hold back the chair. he didn't use any effort to hold back the chair...  just simply tagging the chair with his fingers as if that counted for credit. this continued for an hour while i was there.

the shock of bumping the chair started to hurt my elbow.

being a minnesotan passive aggressive type, i sent a message through buck's contact page to alert them the guy needs proper training.

• Haha 1

1/15/23

sunday morning. ski races continue.

didn't bother riding yesterday. i was so bored that my biggest accomplishment was clearing out a sink drain pipe using a wet vac. i didn't think it would work. when i turned on the wet vac, i felt the mass of gunk course through the wet vac hose.  the experience was cathartic.

warm temps today. blue bird skies. crossroads was already a mess by 9AM. i tried it, too bumpy to maintain an edge.

rode olympic exclusively. excellent cord. felt great.  it was getting busy. left after an hour.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1/18/23

made 2 runs in the evening and left.

rain on MLK didn't help. this evening the snow was sugar on top of ice/hard pack.

all runs had race courses on it. took one run down railyard and it sucked. went back up the chair and then kicked my around the back of buck to ride down teachers pet to leave.

1/21/23

visibility was terrible. it was foggy with some precipitation that was freezing on my goggles.

snow was okay. very fast. if visibility was better the snow would've been fun. for a while it was hard to commit to carving because of my goggles. i ended up removing them just to be able to see. 

i tried riding olympic but it was still difficult to see the terrain. it's somewhat choppy. all i could do was skid down the run. there's an invisible small mound in the hill somewhere near the middle that caused a slight adrenaline rush.

milkrun was difficult to carve. too many depressions in the snow from ski races.

crossroads was at least doable. towards the bottom i was getting a little vertigo from not being able to see where it flattens out.

tried going down redtail to cross onto teachers pet. kind of sketchy where trails merge.

ended up riding with @flatcokeover on warners. snow was just okay.

1/22/23

early morning it was lightly snowing with tiny flakes. the hill was almost fogged over. difficult to see.

unusually busy for sunday morning. 

there was a dusting of snow over cord. if visibility wasn't bad it would've been decent conditions.

the cord is soft. couple times i fell because the snow gave way. some of my turns left wide trenches.

i rode mostly crossroads and olympic.

1/23/23

rode in evening.

milkrun had races and was rutted.

crossroads had training. they left the run with large ruts.

olympic unavailable

warners. there was training on warners. skiers right was open but it was rutted from drills.

only run i could do was railyard along the path around the jump line.

should've stayed home.

On 1/12/2023 at 8:56 PM, bobble said:

i went back out in the evening and it was not good for carving. too crowded. crossroads was rutted up. milkrun had races. warners might've been okay.

the lifty at the main chair wasn't doing his job. i boarded with some skiers and the chair slammed into all of us. the lifty was too far forward to hold back the chair. he didn't use any effort to hold back the chair...  just simply tagging the chair with his fingers as if that counted for credit. this continued for an hour while i was there.

the shock of bumping the chair started to hurt my elbow.

being a minnesotan passive aggressive type, i sent a message through buck's contact page to alert them the guy needs proper training.

Seriously on the lifties. I know the guy who barely touches the chair. But worse, there was a guy who was genius enough to figure out by using the slow button for EVERY chair he can get away by not touching the chair. As a result the ride uphill is twice as long and you get carsick from the constant slow-fast-slow-fast.

On Sunday we also saw lifties in the top hut completely oblivious and didn't see a kid failed to unload. He was about to ride the chair back down until a skier took notice and threw the emergency bar over to stop the lift.

Snow wasn't so great since the rain and I fear for the upcoming cold spell.

• Like 1

1/29/23

sub-zero temps but blue sky.

snow was great today. only complaint was olympic still has some bad bumps that i always seem to hit on heel-side.

had to take a 20 minute break in the chalet just to warm up.

rode until noon. warmed up to about 3F when i left.

• Like 1

1/31/23

rode in evening. 

crossroads had gates. same with milkrun. same with olympic. warners had ruts. railyard has turned into railyard -- there's a very narrow lane to bypass the jumps and rails.

i just did the backside and spilled onto teachers pet. the snow felt good.

after racing stopped on milkrun, i tried making a run but it was too chopped up.

2/1/23

rode at lunch.

crossroads had a clinic with gates. after they finished i tried taking a run. too many deep ruts. i asked the ticket office if they were going to have gates on crossroads tomorrow. the owner was confused and said there were no gates on milkrun. i said that i was talking about the ones on crossroads and pointed outside. again she was confused until one of the employees explained that crossroads was on the other side of the chairlift. she honestly thought that milkrun was the entire hill. anyways someone said there will not be gates on milkrun tomorrow (thursday).

i believe buck blew snow on olympic. there are two large mounds, one at the top and the other near the bottom. if you hit the bottom one at speed, it can launch you onto flat ground which would not be fun. i rode twice and only got 4 decent turns before i had to skid. grooming sucked.

warners was okay.

milkrun was fine.