Note to New Members ×

Brundage 22-23

ExcelsiorTheFathead

Thursday March 2.  Day 54.

No new overnight and the beginning of a snow system is coming in with cold and wind.  I got up there around 10 and the top of the mountain was socked in with clouds.  It is already snowing.  I stayed low on Bear and did laps there with the short board.   Excellent groom.

Saturday March 4.  Day 55.

Friday had about 4" of new and was too soft to ride.  Saturday has no new and is cold with variable clouds.  I went up at open and made my first run down AM groomed Main Street which was a little ridgey.  PM groomed Engen was wide and perfectly flat.  The snow is a tiny bit sluffy, not quite firm but the carving is pretty good and the ruts are deep.  Around 11 the next system came in and it started snowing.  Lift lines at Bluebird reached a couple of minutes.  Not too bad.

Tuesday March 7.  Day 56.

Sunday and Monday saw over a foot of new snow.  Tuesday had only a trace of new but I suspected soft conditions so I took the short board and did laps on green Bear.  Nice grooming but the snow is sluffy.   There's too much new snow recently, just about every other day and the runs never get firm.  It is bumming me out.

Sunday March 12.  Day 59.   No new snow.

Daylight savings time is the dumbest thing ever.  I'm up at open after the time shift and the hill is an hour darker than it was before, here on the far, far darkest edge of the Mountain Time Zone.  The weather isn't bad but there are high clouds and flat light.  Grooming is meh.  Not bad, but stripey in places and annoyingly narrow on mid-lower Engen.  Some good turns made here and there but minor sluffiness continues.  More snow is in the forecast for the next couple of days.

Tuesday March 14.  Day 60.  4" of new today, 6" the day before.

New snow continues with temps just below freezing.  This morning there was a break in the weather so I went up just after open.  Main Street and Alpine were groomed on the AM shift but it was hard to see any cord.  At least an inch of new fell on it after grooming and both runs were highly masticated by the time I tried them.  The green Bear runs were soft but groomed well so I stayed there with my short board.  The new snow is on the wetter, heavy side.

Down in McCall it rained all Monday, the first time I've seen rain since I moved here in November.  In my residential neighborhood there is so much snow plowed up on the shoulders that roads are effectively single-lane.  Right now it is snowing again and it is supposed to continue into tomorrow morning.

Thursday March 16.  Day 61. 

There was 9" of new on Wednesday which drew all the powder weirdos out, but a power failure in the morning screwed up the lifts.  Bluebird ran on diesel for a little while but eventually shut down.  Centennial and Bear never ran on diesel.  Power came back a couple hours later but it is weird that Brundage is so bad at switching to diesel.

Thursday is cold in the morning with no new and clear skies.  Main Street and Engen were groomed around 9-10 PM last night and should be the most firm.   Engen was disappointingly stripey so I did all my other runs on Main Street which was groomed pretty well flat.  After the first hour the top layer started to come apart and it got sluffy in places.  Out at 11.

Friday March 17.  Day 62.

I got on snow at 10:30 to let the sun come up and around on Engen.  There is a bumpy ridge on the rightmost groomer pass that is a big annoyance but the run is wide enough that I can avoid it.  PM groomed Engen is the firmest run by far but it still starts to come apart once enough people have been down it.  Some good turns made on a bright sunny day.  Temperatures start cool in the early morning but are getting quite warm.  Base temp is 40 today in the late afternoon.

Wednesday March 22.  Day 66.

Bluebird with no new.  Up at open and got first tracks on Engen.  Despite this being essentially its first day of groom since the snow fell late Monday night, the run is pretty darn flat and groomed wide.  I went over to AM groomed Main Street for 2 runs to let the sun rise on Engen.  Main Street is softer but not bad.  The lower parts have a little bit of that springy gritty crushed ice effect going on from high afternoon temperatures.

I went back to Engen and tore that place up.  The snow here is also a little soft and carving it leaves some big ruts.  Eventually I strained my back (again) and left a little before 11.

Brundage has winch catted a few runs for the first time but I don't think these are good carving runs.  Normally, nothing here is winched.

Thursday March 23.  Day 67.

1-2" of new and the mountain is socked in, at least on top.  I went up at open with the short board and first tried green Bear which was groomed well with no new on top.  It was pretty firm and had some of that frosty-gritty feeling so I went up and tried Main Street which had maybe an inch of new over groom and was generally carveable and pleasant.  I tried Engen and Alpine but they had 2" or more of new and trying to carve them was a hassle.  I went back to Main Street and stayed there until 11.  Another snow cycle is coming in now.

Saturday March 25.  Day 68

A few inches of new fell Friday during the day, then a further inch overnight.  I was up at open Saturday morning  and it was socked in with a chilly summit temp of 9.  Most runs were softish.  Engen was weird cuz the left third had an inch of new over it while the rest was bare groom.  Alpine was kinda firmish but the vis up there was bad. I ended up tearing up Bear.  Out at 11.

Sunday March 26.  Day 69.

Up at open.  It is quite cold again with clouds above the summit and some fog in lower elevations.  It is snowing lightly and there was 0-1" of new.   Main Street and Alpine are firm enough for good carving and the groom is only a tiny bit stripey.  Engen was flat, wide and firm with anywhere from 5/32" to 25/32" of fluffy new on top.  It was excellent-amundo.  Out at 11.

Thursday March 30.  Day 71.

I took two days off because of intolerably crappy weather.  Thursday has barely tolerably crappy weather so I went up. The hill is socked in with clouds and it is snowing lightly.  Alpine and Main Street have reasonably good soft groom.  Engen has a full 3" of new on it and can't be carved.

Monday April 3.  Day 73.  3" of new snow.

The summit temp was only 10 at open so I waited over an hour to go up.  Weather is variable from sunbreaks to light snow.  I stayed low on Bear and did laps there because I figured that's where the firmest groom was.   Forgot to mention that yesterday I met a monoski guy riding a Coda. He said that is lives local and is a regular, but that was the first time I ever met him.

Wednesday-Thursday April 5-6. Day 76.  No new.

Two days of cold mornings with excellent firm, tight snow.  Variable clouds with good light.  I rode from 10-12 on both days with all runs on Engen.  Some guy behind me in the lift line said to his friend: "Hey, look at this weirdo."  Few people on the hill.

Friday April 7.  Day 77.  No new.

It must have been brutally warm and sunny on the hill late yesterday afternoon.  PM groomed Engen has stripes of firmed-up groomer tread rips that make it a little unpleasant.  Combined with dark skies and flat light, conditions on this run are not optimum.  AM groomed Main Street has the best carving, although it gets firmer towards the bottom.  Low-lying Bear is the firmest I've ever seen so far this season and it almost qualifies as unpleasant.  Windy this morning as a weather system comes in that should bring a little snow.

On 4/6/2023 at 2:08 PM, ExcelsiorTheFathead said:

Wednesday-Thursday April 5-6. Day 76.  No new.

Two days of cold mornings with excellent firm, tight snow.  Variable clouds with good light.  I rode from 10-12 on both days with all runs on Engen.  Some guy behind me in the lift line said to his friend: "Hey, look at this weirdo."  Few people on the hill.

I love it when they recognize me.

• Haha 1

Friday April 8.  Day 78.  1-2" of new.

The mountain was completely socked in at open so I waited and didn't get on snow until 11.  Temps were warmish and Engen was soft and uncarveable.  Main Street was ok but soft and starting to get cut up.  No serious carving could be done and the resort is slightly crowded for some closing weekend events.  Eventually clouds turned vis bad again and I bailed pretty early.