Note to New Members ×

Car hire and Turner access

SunSurfer

Getting my vehicle hire sorted for our MCC 2023 trip. Flying in via Kalispell with 2 others and gear. Doing this via the Net from New Zealand so don't have local/USA knowledge others may have.
Hertz/Avis/Budget/Alamo at Kalispell Int Airport. Budget have great deals currently but have T&Cs that say "no unsealed roads". On Google Earth the access road to Turner looks unsealed. Yes/No?
Looking at hiring an SUV mostly for carrying capacity. Can I assume that a Montana based hire in winter will have all weather tyres? Do I need to get 4WD? Or even on a heavy snowfall day would the road be cleared fast enough to allow a 2WD up?

The Turner Mtn road is sealed with packed snow over gravel. Loose snow on good days! But I don't think that's what they mean. 😉

I made it up with 2wd, winter tires, and lots of snow/ice driving experience. It would be challenging with all-season tires and 2wd on snowy days. 

Out of the four years I've been going only the first year was a must have 4WD although Corey and other did make it work with 2WD most put on chains have way from Libby.  It snowed 6 feet in four days but they kept the road in good shape. The other years there's been one day out of four where 2WD might want to put on chains.  Turner runs their groomer to clear the last mile.  All rentals will come with snow tires if you get a 2WD ask if it comes with chains. I though snow and ice was how Montana sealed their roads.  Crowed afternoon from the first year.

turner.JPG

• Like 1

Very familiar with chains use from winters here in NZ. Here, the hire companies make chains an explicit extra part of a winter hire so you know they're part of the equipment. The hire car websites I'm looking at make no mention of chains or winter tyres. Nor do they specify that a given SUV class is guaranteed 4WD.

You should be fine with what they rent, you could try to find Kalispell rental company's email or airport and ask if they know.  Once your in Libby no matter how bad the roads get you should be able to find room in someone's 4WD to get up to and down the mountain. b0ardski drove a 24' motorhome up there last year

turner feb 12, 2020.jpg

Several years ago, I rented an SUV with 4WD from Spokane, WA for a snowboarding trip. My rental agreement forbid me from putting chains on the vehicle, and I believe that is a common rule here. But, it is worth calling/emailing the rental agencies in Kalispell and asking. If the rental agencies do not offer/allow chains, you could still put them on but you would have to buy them. You will probably have a hard time finding them in stock, and if you do, expect to pay at least $50 USD. You *may* be able to return them if they are unopened. Don't worry about the unsealed road - just don't tell the rental agency about it 😉

In the event that there is a snowstorm and you cannot drive your car up to Turner, I'm sure you can hitch a ride. I will have my car with me and I have chains and a roof rack!

4 car hire companies at Kalispell airport. Avis, Alamo/National, Budget and Hertz.

Avis don't offer skierised vehicles, Alamo explicitly forbid chain use, Budget don't allow unsealed road use, leaving Hertz who offer skierised vehicles, but after their recent financial troubles, at eye watering prices for a 5 day hire.

Hertz it will be.

9 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

4 car hire companies at Kalispell airport. Avis, Alamo/National, Budget and Hertz.

Avis don't offer skierised vehicles, Alamo explicitly forbid chain use, Budget don't allow unsealed road use, leaving Hertz who offer skierised vehicles, but after their recent financial troubles, at eye watering prices for a 5 day hire.

Hertz it will be.

I don't understand the pricing on snow tires.  A couple years ago before rental prices went bonkers, I rented a small car at Budget in the Calgary airport.  The rate was something like $54 for 3 days, unlimited mileage.  If I wanted snow tires, it was $25/day.  So the rental cost of a set of snow tires was nearly 50% more than the rental cost for the entire car.

@SunSurferSorry for the late reply on this one.  

I drove front wheel drive cars without snow tires for years up to Turner and around Montana.  Only had to put on chains one time in the last 3 decades, rain on icy roads event.  The access road and parking lot are gravel, so I doubt that would qualify as unsealed road surface.  

I currently drive a rear wheel drive van with snow tires and have no issues at all.  That being said I have driven in Montana for my whole life.  

Any SUV/Minivan rental you get from Kalispell will be either AWD or FWD.  If chains are necessary for any driving between Kalispell and Libby, it will be the storm of the century.  

Looking forward to having your group join us!  

• Thanks 1

Looking forward to being there and catching up with lots of people I haven't seen since the last Bomber SES/ATC!

Well used to driving front wheel drive cars, and to the smooth driving technique needed on snowy/icy roads from my winter driving here in NZ.

A gravel road is unfortunately NOT a sealed road and I have no wish to void any indemnity on a US hire car contract.

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 1:32 PM, ibrussell said:

You should be fine with what they rent, you could try to find Kalispell rental company's email or airport and ask if they know.  Once your in Libby no matter how bad the roads get you should be able to find room in someone's 4WD to get up to and down the mountain. b0ardski drove a 24' motorhome up there last year

we got room in here for you if need be! Premium studded snow tires FTW!

spacer.png

any suv should be fine

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 9:07 PM, SunSurfer said:

Looking forward to being there and catching up with lots of people I haven't seen since the last Bomber SES/ATC!

Well used to driving front wheel drive cars, and to the smooth driving technique needed on snowy/icy roads from my winter driving here in NZ.

A gravel road is unfortunately NOT a sealed road and I have no wish to void any indemnity on a US hire car contract.

The restrictions are based on their insurer. In my province I can buy coverage through my car policy that will cover many other conditions. You might check with your own insurance company for extended coverage for rentals. It is only the last mile up to the lodge that you really need to worry about and if you go off there it will be springtime before they get the car out and you will be long gone.