Note to New Members ×

Getting screws out of Fin-tec heels

Tugboater

Good morning Carvers! I'm in the process of switching over to my new RC12s from 8 year old RC8s. I use Fin-tec step in heels in them and I'm having a heck of a time getting them out of the old shells. Right now they're sitting on the porch with a little penetrating oil on them soaking in. They're also Phillips head bolts rather than the new Torx.  head so it the oil doesn't do it, what are my other options? Honestly, the shells are done so I have no problem taking a Sawzall to them if I have to. 

Pull the liners so you can access the T-nuts. Put penetrating oil on the tips of the screws/T-nuts and pray. These screws tend to seize as they're often wet. 

If they're seized; drill the heads of the screws off from the heels, then pound the T-nuts into the shells. 

Sawzall not needed! 

Okay,so if this happens to you, here is what I did. 

1) Liners out and put a few drop oil penetrating oil on the inside but the inserts. 

2) Wait a while.

3) Try by hand with an appropriate sized head screwdriver

4) Try again with an impact driver and the same head ( I got 3 of 4 like this)

5) The last one rounded out so I got a similar sized square head (#2 in this case) and hammered it into the partially stripped head. Then used the impact driver again. This worked on both partially stripped bolts. The combo of moderate tapping from the hammer helps loosen up the bolt and gets a little more oil in there. 

6) Order new bolts and pads from Bomberonline.com

7) Ride to victory!

• Like 4