Note to New Members ×

opening a can of carving worms

west carven

2 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

So what happens when you crash, take a handlebar to the balls, and then watch in pain as that thing sails down the hill to wipe out some innocents?

I'm pretty sure the liability fine print on the back of lift tickets and plastered all over ski areas is rooted in the legal principle that "no one is innocent."

• Like 1

Hmmm.... Looks like fun but not sure I wanna take  those handlebars in a spill. 

Guess this is one way of solving  any boot-out issues!

Wonder what the scr is on that board?   

You would think  the width of the handlebars would be changeable depending on height.....like on a road bike 

This is what a snow bike should be doing.

Not the laid-back low bar "take it easy, brah" I see from almost every snow biker.

Actually, is it even possible on a traditional snow bike? I want to ask, but barely anyone can carve on normal skis/snowboard, even in athlete-brah Colorado.

found it. Also it's called a ski bike, not a snow bike.

I wonder if they could lean it over and just hit the foot rest vs doing the dirt-bike brah thing.

• Like 1

Those ski-bikes look like they'd be a nightmare to control speed on!! 

At least the scoot looks like skidded speed control is an accessible action.  

I think having the feet in essentially the same position as a mono seems to give the rider access to a level of edge control that the ski-bikes don't look like they have? Thus unlocking the carving potential? 

I find the nature of a front 'steered' ski fascinating though, as it essentially gives the rider the ability to adjust the sidecut radius as they initiate a turn. Again opening up the all-mountain capabilities as they can carve with the larger default radius but use the bars to tighten it up in the trees or moguls 🤔

Not going to lie, it looks fun, and doesn't require any sort of riding boot, which is a feature in and of itself. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would absolutely love to try a ski-bike, especially with a dirt bike like cockpit, bonus points if you get a free kazoo for 2-stroke engine noises.  The Snow-Moto concept looks interesting as well but you can't do seated, foot-out MX style turns.  Maybe a cross between the two is the sweet spot.    

I've seen a few people riding one-wheels on the easier MTB trails in town and I think it's great. It's actually quite impressive to see.

• 2 weeks later...

I used an old ski bike for a while but it's wooden skis did not hold up to for very long. Super easy fun on blue trails at Blacktail but very difficult fun in the steep and deep at Alental. Would love to try out a modern one. I found one foot on the front and the other on the back ski gave me better edge control over the front ski. When I'm too old to lock in to an alpine stance I will get one!

• 1 month later...