Note to New Members ×

OT:Portland,OR.housing

Guest kriss

Don't know if PSU offers on-campus housing for grad students, but if they do, it's worth looking into. PSU is in a great location, and it would be pretty nice to live in that area.

Otherwise, I'm with D-sub: craigslist is the way to go.

assuming you posted this on this forum, in search for good access to the mountain as well. your best bet would be Sandy, since it's precisely halfway between portland and govt. camp (i.e. Mt Hood's Timberline ski resort and Mt Hood meadows, as well as night skiing at Ski Bowl).

Originally posted by LeeW

assuming you posted this on this forum, in search for good access to the mountain as well. your best bet would be Sandy, since it's precisely halfway between portland and govt. camp (i.e. Mt Hood's Timberline ski resort and Mt Hood meadows, as well as night skiing at Ski Bowl).

I just moved from Sandy to Bend. As Lee points out, Sandy is essentially equidistant from Portland and snowboarding. That's why we chose to live there originally. It is a pretty good haul in and out of Portland every day though - 45 minutes w/o traffic - and there's really nothing to do there; you have to go up the hill a ways or into Gresham/Portland for, well, just about everything.

Any place really close to PSU is going to be pretty pricy. You can try looking at Johns Landing, it's right on the river and seems to always have some decent accomodations in a good area, well priced. Close in Southeast is good too, but the traffic over the bridges can be terrible. If you take Barbur Blvd out to the 10, there's some inexpensive stuff there, wouldn't take but 5 to 10 minutes to get to PSU. Good luck!

Robert

Originally posted by reweston

Close in Southeast is good too, but the traffic over the bridges can be terrible.

...unless you get a bicycle, or better yet a skateboard!

:-)

Sorry, haven't been frequenting over here.

Assuming by your other thread you're targeting downtown.

In the immediate surrounds of PSU is very conveninent, but fairly pricey. There are tax subsidized income restricted buildings in that area your son may qualify for.

Moving out from that area, anyplace near the streetcar line or the light rail is fairly convenient to get to and from PSU without a car. So that defines a corridor that really spans the city east to west.

I like my neighborhood: the alphebet blocks NW of downtown. Start looking at stuff off NW 21st and 23rd, centering on marshall or so and spreading out. It's a short drive, quick walk, or short ride on the streetcar to get to PSU from here. Plenty of places to eat or get a drink.

NE portland is definately the cheapest, and is popular with the grad student crowd, judging by some aquantances. The neighborhoods arn't so good (higher risk of petty theft, not really of violent crime).

Beyond that, if he plans to use a car, anything in the city interior is pretty convenient. Cutting through downtown proper or getting accross the bridges in busy times can be a little bad... but definately better than trying to hit freeway to get to and from the suburbs.

Overall, the central city is a fairly neighborhood oriented place. No matter where you look, you should be able to find something near a cluster of restraunts and pubs, and of course a grocery. I rather like that, compared to the suburbs where your only close option is a strip mall full of franchise places.