Note to New Members ×

Coiler Contra vs. Donek Flux or Knapton for Softboot Carving?

aeonneo376

Unless your riding duck stance id say go with either the flux or incline if your looking at the donek range.

I personally have an Incline you can read my thoughts on it here and see some footage of me riding it. I dont have any experience of the coiler but they do have a good reputation that im sure others will be able to expand on.

You might want to consider a Stranda Cheater as well 

"The Cheater is an easy turning surf-carver with an abundance of edghold. We’ve tailored the sidecut for a blisteringly fast response to any rider input. It’s got a blunt nose profile, with a tighter entry radius in the early rise, which we combined with a short half moon tail. Three layers of rubber dampening make for a ride that’s smooth as butter on hardpack. The nose rocker makes turning easy and creates float. Additional carbon stringers in the tail section add longitudinal snap. A precise and highly manoeuvrable board for cruising and carving. The 170 comes in a wide version as well. Colors: 170s = green. 177 = red."

Usually readily available.

https://www.strandasnowboards.com/product/cheater-snowboard/

Edited by Pat Donnelly
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ShortcutToMoncton said:

I did notice that OES is making 28cm waist freeride boards, but their BX-specific boards are in the 25ish range. Has anyone tried carving on their freeride boards? How are they? I’ve seen OES on some race podiums but never in person. 

Freeride boards from OES are very very good. I have ridden only prototypes, but even then I can say they are great!

P.S. Still need to write my reviews regarding them in U195 topic

Edited by b.free

10 hours ago, ShortcutToMoncton said:

I did notice that OES is making 28cm waist freeride boards, but their BX-specific boards are in the 25ish range. Has anyone tried carving on their freeride boards? How are they? I’ve seen OES on some race podiums but never in person. 

We have 3 model lines with waist 28+ cm what made for soft boot carving.
TT - true twin tip
FR wide - clean soft boot carving model. models 162 & 165 have 28+ waist
SC - new model for soft boot carving. 157 & 163 have 28+ waist.

Kessler makes legendary boards, but I really struggle to figure out how to comfortably carve soft boots on a 26cm-or-less waist without boot out. I would imagine most people are forced into 45-degree plus angles, which kind of removes the advantages of using soft boots in the first place. But if you are that person…..yeah you should be talking to him immediately, that’s a great deal!!

OP only one post so don't know how valid this is, but IMO each of these boards have a little different focus within the common discipline of softboot carving. some may even say, completely different boards.

Coiler Contra - freecarve all mountain, directional, playful

Donek Flux -directional freecarve charger suited to race if need be

Knapton - freestyle freecarve, duck duck goose

15 hours ago, ShortcutToMoncton said:

Ooof, those OES and SG boards would be incredible demos

or own. oes 162FR wide can be yours since i have one up for grabs if interested. SG soul is a keeper!

I have  a Flux 168 and a Contra 167.  They are both very capable carvers that are quite at home off the groomed as well.  

I find the Flux to be the smoother carver, and the Contra to be grippier and more aggressive.  They can both handle everything from super firm to soft groomers.  I tend to favor the Coiler on steeper terrain, bad grooming, and really firm snow… and the Flux on mellower terrain, colder snow, and when I feel like taking laps through the (smaller, I’m getting old) jumps.  

Off groomed I find the Coiler to generally perform better… it requires less input … but the Flux has been very damage resistant (thicker core since non-metal, Durasurf base) so I choose it  anytime coverage is questionable or when riding unfamiliar terrain. 

Hope that helps

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

I've been moving around quite a bit and figured I'd update. 

1. I've decided to go with the Coiler Contra for now and have been talking with Bruce, who's now back from his golf season 🙂

2. @snowwjob1 - What's the difference between his boarder cross boards & how does it change with the Contra side cut?

On 9/17/2022 at 1:54 PM, dhamann said:

OP only one post so don't know how valid this is, but IMO each of these boards have a little different focus within the common discipline of softboot carving. some may even say, completely different boards.

Coiler Contra - freecarve all mountain, directional, playful

Donek Flux -directional freecarve charger suited to race if need be

Knapton - freestyle freecarve, duck duck goose

or own. oes 162FR wide can be yours since i have one up for grabs if interested. SG soul is a keeper!

This was tremendously helpful; thank you 🙂

4. I also figured if I'm getting a custom board from Coiler or Donek, I might as well get custom art so I've been working on that as well. 

Thanks for being so friendly/helpful everyone

• Like 1

I have 2 Coiler BXFR boards and my wife has one as well.  The great thing about a Coiler is that Bruce can adjust the flex, length and width to your needs, so if you are outside the typical body or foot size, it won't be an issue.  Another bonus is the USD to CAD exchange rate is very favorable for us right now.  

• Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 12:57 PM, aeonneo376 said:

I'm considering the Contra vs. a Donek board right now for softboot carving, looking to do something similar to the Japanese style: https://www.instagram.com/p/CestnREDrYP/

What's the difference & what would you recommend?

Talk to Sean at Donek. Donek is distributed in Korea as well where tons of riders of this style order the Saber and the Incline. Over the years Sean has kinda dialed in the different wants of BX users of the Saber and the Korean/Japanese style that incorporates some ground tricks. Too stiff and it makes the ground tricks very hard. Generally the Saber isn't an overly stiff board to begin with but when I ordered a Saber this year I used the Knapton Twin I ordered from them previously as a stiffness reference and Sean nailed it. If you have ground trick ambitions getting it made a bit softer than a Knapton might be helpful though.
From what I've seen of the Contra its not super well suited to that style of carving but I could be wrong.

• Like 1

I have 2 Fluxes (~ 4 year old and new). Slight differences between the two. New one is 4cm longer, 1cm wider and a shorter SCR. My buddy has 3x Fluxes with slight differences. 

To be honest if I had my eyes closed I couldn't tell the difference between the boards. 

We both LOVE our Fluxes. They carve great and handle powder and cut-up snow with ease. No matter what I am riding do I ever think "Am I on the right board?". 

IMG_1364.JPG

IMG_1365.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

That was a custom graphic. Raven was our beloved Greyhound. Unfortunately she has passed. We have another - Piper. 

I think Donek may still have that artwork. You could have them alter it to suit you and your dog's name. The logo is just the logo from a Greyhound bus. 

If you want to contact Donek, you have my permission to use that artwork.