Note to New Members ×

Step in softboot binding

Eboot

• Eboot changed the title to Step in softboot binding

Burton makes a setup.

My youngest (13) loves them....  Very easy, and quick.. hold up to all the basic jumps / olie's and such....  he doesn't tax them like SBX would, but they seem to hold up fine without undue stress on the board...

I don't know any other brands, and just to be different, Burton calls them "step on" rather than step in bindings.

https://www.burton.com/us/en/content/step-on.html

They are stiffer and act stiffer than soft boots, and getting up high on toe or heel are like hard boots due to the stiffness...

Edited by TVR

DC also make Burton step-on compatible boots 

https://www.dcshoes.com/men%27s-control-step-on-boa%c2%ae-snowboard-boots-194466024608.html#cgid=snow_men-shop&start=3&hitcount=15

K2 have a new clicker system: but all these require vendor locked in boots.

you might be able to use the "step in" boots in regular softboot binding but not guarantee.

I would recommend Burton step-on X, with some heavy-duty zip-ties tying your front highback to the heelcup. I currently use this setup on my Gray Desperado Ti Type-R,  and it has been working fairly well. 

as for the boots, find something as stiff as Burton Ion step on, and use the powerride W-ing Hard plastic tongue (the tongue has decent lateral support) to have a semi-HB feel.   

On 8/19/2022 at 5:35 PM, Neil Gendzwill said:

I think everyone is kind of missing the point that he is looking to buy a used setup

Thanx Neil!

None the less I have appreciated all of the above comments, thank you all.

On 8/15/2022 at 2:30 PM, slopestar said:

wait for the nidecker supermatic

Any ideas on when they will be released?  There is nothing available anywhere at the moment, that I can see.

On 8/19/2022 at 3:35 PM, Neil Gendzwill said:

I think everyone is kind of missing the point that he is looking to buy a used setup.  I love by step-on X/Ion combo and am not selling.

If you are looking for a used setup, be warry. Even the Burton stuff ages and breaks over time.

I super guy on here gave me 2 sets of bindings, and 1 sets of boots, complete. I still thank him. They were the older burton step-on systems.

Last year, the one set of boots cracked on the side of the left boot, so it would pull out of the bindings. I still liked them, and my youngest son LOVES them, so I went on ebay on bought 2 more sets of boots for this setup. One for me, and one for him. My right boot pulled out of the heel, and so my setup was no longer usable, while his boots, both of them, took everything he could throw at them. Ollies, jumps, whatever a 13 year old non-racer could think of. 

Basically, now he has two boards with those bindings, one set of good boots, and a spare for the left and right if needed, and if he didn't mind looking a bit odd. (different colors, etc)

So, my advise is, if you get a used set, watch out for the older sets. The set that has ONLY metal flaps inserted into the soul of the boots can be problematic with a used set of Burtons. I will be looking into the newer set, where it connects differently in the newer step-on Burtons myself, but won't know how good those are till later this season. 

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2022 at 8:30 AM, slopestar said:

wait for the nidecker supermatic

I did not get to ride them, but I got to see and try the Supermatic’s at a shop and it is a neat concept…but heavy and a lot of parts, so it will be interesting to see how they stack up after a year of use/abuse in all types of snow conditions. 

the build is very beefy and probably over built for most riders (except you Lance as I know how hard you are on gear 😎).

For now I will stick with my Ion/StepOn X and my Driver X/Union Atlas Pro setups as they both have pluses and minuses.

cheers🤙
sandy

Edited by svr
Typo