Note to New Members ×

Benefits of proper foot/arch support in boots

SunSurfer

I made some arch supports for my own relatively high arched feet using the method shown in this video.

And I've been wearing them on this snowboarding trip. Like Jack Michaud, I've found that they give great feel through the soles of my feet but I've found some other benefits as well. I made mine with some great toe lift to help rotate my talus into the correct position and with me standing, rather than sitting (look online for discussions around why those things are thought to be significant). I also remoulded my liners after making the insoles as I figured they would probably significantly change the overall shape of my feet inside my boots.

This trip I've noticed 2 other things.
1/ My UPZs don't need to be buckled up as tight to give me good board control. Indeed I buckle them up at the start of the day and don't undo them until I stop for lunch or the end of the day. Prior to this I had them so tight that it was unbuckle for every lift ride etc.
&
2/ Heel lift is even less of a problem than it used to be. With my prior boot mods it would only happen if I got thrown forward and off balance. Now my foot seems more solidly held. I'm wondering if my relatively high arched foot would kind of "decamber" when put under stress, allowing the heel to lift. And now with solid arch support, that decambering can't happen.

Before @Beckmann AG has apoplexy, this doubting Thomas is now convinced of the value of custom fitted footbeds. My arches turned out to be way higher than even the highest off the shelf insoles I could buy.

I suspect the sliding forces involved in getting my feet in and out of the boots will cause my formed silicon to separate from the underlying insole in time. Professionally made custom foot orthotics are now on my shopping list.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2022 at 5:52 AM, SunSurfer said:

Before @Beckmann AG has apoplexy, this doubting Thomas is now convinced of the value of custom fitted footbeds. My arches turned out to be way higher than even the highest off the shelf insoles I could buy.

I suspect the sliding forces involved in getting my feet in and out of the boots will cause my formed silicon to separate from the underlying insole in time. Professionally made custom foot orthotics are now on my shopping list

Alan,

Great to see you're still looking for answers and crafting your own possible solutions.

Come to Maine this next season and I'll get you set up proper. 🙂

Meanwhile, if you have questions regarding the how's and why's of adequate foot support, get in touch.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

+3 on Beckmann AG's footbeds.

I had a set made at Stratton/ECES 2014? I think, when they had a deal with a ski shop there. It was a major improvement over the off the shelf heat at home footbed, but then with Eric's footbed your foot is completely stable. Also, the time he spends tuning your footbed to you and your foot to have you stable is very worth it.

It's a whole different feel when you ride his - no foot movement necessary to grip the bottom of your boot with your foot.