Note to New Members ×

WTF 2023 XXL Jan 15 Feb 4

howdy WTF'ers

welcome for another WTF2023 session. i bless the place with a little holy water (rain). also the warm temps bring the "Wicked Thick Fog"... just saw a peice on Inside Edtion about chair 1 evacuation... it will be nice to see you guys again... i will take a few days off till i feel better so see you guys in a few days... have fun...

snow report: thu jan 19, 2023
howdy all

after six days of staying home with the crud got a little antsy pants and had to go up and meet the ohio boys. thick fog from opening and moving around all day. lightly snowing in the morning with a couple inches of new snow over groomers. stayed dry today which was good cause heard yesterday was a super rimey  day. groomers was crumbly mixed in with the new snow so not the best conditions and the fog did not help. was not confident and just going by muscle memory and carve where it looked doable. cruised around looking for the boys and saw them in passing only then met cuban as he was coming out of the hellroaring saloon at noon as we ended our day... forecast is slightly cooler next week so maybe no more fog... rode chair 4 for the second time...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 12:30...

snow report: fri jan 20, 2023
howdy all

a nice cooler morning with super high overcast and vis was good. a little fog on the summit and some wind made it a little chilly. ed's run on chair 2 was groomed good, but a bit icy firm and kinda of a harsh ride. the groom does not get chewed up so stays pretty smooth all day. rode with cuban all morning then with johnasmo and later with allee. gave allee the grand tour and we rode chairs 1,2,4,5, 7 and 8, it was nice to see allee again. it was a long day for me, but it was super fun... made some good turns...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 3:30...

snow report: mon jan 23, 2023
howdy all

a little new overnight and foggy all day. fog moves around and thick at times. had a surprise guest today and it was nice to see brudda dane. had a nice group today with dane, cuban, dredman, johnasmo, mario, rick and me. groomers was good with a little new on top and carved really good. could have been a really good day if it wasn't so foggy. was a super fun day riding with the crew...

rode the 168vsr from 9 till 2...

snow report: tue jan 24, 2023
howdy all

classic big mtn fog from top of chair 2 on up. the groomers are getting buffed out smooth with no new snow. same crew as yesterday with the addition of fred and a sighting of greg. another fun day and everyone kinda doing their own thing. we had a core group and rode most the morning. everybody was making really nice turns. today was fun... forecast is snow on friday and artic air next week...

rode the 176vsr from 9 till 2...

snow report: wed jan 25, 2023
howdy all

looked like it might be nice sunny morning with some blue skies as i got to the hill. met brudda dane on chair 2 and our first run on ed's with the sun shinning and great grooming and nobody around was awesome. then by the second run the clouds came over and no more blue skies. super high overcast and fog on the summit made the lighting a little flat. dane, cuban, dredman, johnasmo and me making laps on chair 2 in the morning and later on chair 1. with no new snow groomers are getting buffed out smooth and only lightly skied off powdered sugar. it has been on the colder side, but next week is forecasted to get really cold with the artic air pushing down from the north. today was super fun...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 2...

snow report: thu jan 26, 2023
howdy all

classic big mtn fog above chair 2 and thick on top. groomers on chair 2 was good early then breaks down into a dry crumbly mess. very lite snow early then fog gets lower and moving around. kram, pusbag, tania, tyler, cuban, johnasmo and me made todays crew. it was nice to see kram, pusbag and tania again. first couple runs was really good then snow breaks down into a dry crumbly mess and got a little bumpy and loose like dry sand. brought the softboots cause was going to ride with gunslinger65, but i guess he got hurt yesterday later in the day. it was fun on the softboots and made alot of good turns so it was not a wasted hardboot good groomer day. forecast is some snow tonight and tomorrow...

rode the 160inc from 9 till 12:30...

Edited by west carven
  • Like 1

snow report: fri jan 27, 2023
howdy all

two inches new is a powder day so brought the softies. lightly snowing all morning and started to pile up into good size push piles by noon. foggy on top and moving around fast. carved good and was a fun day. no friends on a powder day so rode by myself and only saw cuban a couple times, once on the hill as i was on the lift and saw him on the lift as i was on the hill. got bumpy cause the snow was kinda heavy, but could still carve thru if on edge. was a fun day on the softies...

rode the 160inc from 9 till 11:30...

snow report: sat jan 28, 2023
howdy all

did not ride today cause had to work. today the artic cold came down with high winds. it was a beautiful bluebird day... glad i had to work... forecast is a few more days of artic cold...

here is the bigs snow report...

Summit (6,817 ft)

Overnight Snow: 1"
Settled Base: 75"
Total to Date: 142"
6am Temp: 0℉

24hr Snow: 4"
7 Day Snow: 8"
Current Conditions: Windy
Visibility/Wind: Moderate/NE at 15mph

Lower Mountain (4,464 ft)

24hr Snow: 1"
Village Settled: 21"
Total to Date: 62"
6am Temp: 12℉

7 Day Snow: 2"
Current Conditions: Windy
Visibility/Wind: Moderate/4mph

Deep thoughts by Rhyan*:

Saturday, Jan. 28, 2023:

11:30 a.m. update:

We've transitioned into almost 100% blue skies and beautiful sunshine as we head into the afternoon. What has not changed is the arctic wind chill! Time to bust out those down pants.

9:30 a.m. update:

Wow, that ride up Chair 1 is bitterly cold this morning! Be sure to wear your face covering. Corduroy is a little firm and squeaky but has some fun drifted powder in spots. Off-piste is — you guessed it — variable! We have partly sunny skies and great visibility, with views of Glacier open!

All scheduled chairs are turning, minus Chair 4 (short delay).

6 a.m. report:

Good morning from the great frozen North!

We're so stoked to see some new snow accumulations on the Big. What began as a warmer, mellow storm has shifted to a brisk and windy one. Groomers are reporting significant scouring and wind transport overnight, so reported numbers will not be accurate for the majority of the hill. Similar to my dating history, today's conditions will be variable to say the least. Expect some crunch and uneven surfaces below some significant snow accumulations that could be loose and dry, or very wind-buffed.

We have cloudy skies but open visibility top to bottom to start today. As of 5 a.m. it was zero degrees on the summit with 22 mph sustained winds and gusts at 36 mph, all north-northeast. Similar conditions will continue, then the forecast calls for gradual clearing and a temperature of -3 by about 4 p.m. with wind chills as low as -28. 

The imagery of this wild weather is quite reminiscent of the Gordon Lightfoot classic "Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald." It goes something like:

"And later that night when the ship's bell rang, could it be the north wind they'd been feelin'? The wind in the wires made a tattle-tale sound, and a wave broke over the railing. The searchers all say they'd have made Whitefish Bay, if they'd put 15 more miles behind her."

Come on up, bundle up and chase some dry powder on the Big! Have a great day and we'll see you on the mountain.

Feb 1.  What a day. Chair 2 not working 3 day and counting. The new Chair 4 went down and needed evaluation. Luckily I was only stuck 45 minutes.  I was second chair from the top. Backup power managed to get me to the top. I don’t think it helped any other chairs. Three hours later the chair was empty. It was a big pow day. I’m interested to see what is running tomorrow. 

snow report: wed feb 01, 2023
howdy all

kinda of a nice day with high overcast and cloud just above the big. got a slightly late start which was a good thing. did two rides on chair 4 and my plan of attack was to go down big ravine to home again to ed's run cause chair 2 was not running, ed's was nice as hardly no one was on it. as i past chair 1 i was thinking should i get on it then went to chair 4 again and it was backing up with people then i notice it was stopped so went to chair 6 then to chair 1 and did a few more laps on ed's. going up on chair 1 i notice it was still stopped then later they were rappelling people down. heard they shut down other lifts so lifties could help get people down faster... ed's was nice without people, but kinda soft groomers... sorry i missed cuban and just so you know i stayed home monday and tuesday cause it was too cold... 

rode the 160inc from 9 till 11:30...

here is the bigs snow report...

Summit (6,817 ft)

Overnight Snow: 5"
Settled Base: 81"
Total to Date: 150"
6am Temp: 10℉

24hr Snow: 6"
7 Day Snow: 14"
Current Conditions: Cloudy
Visibility/Wind: Low/SW at 10mph

Lower Mountain (4,464 ft)

24hr Snow: 5"
Village Settled: 27"
Total to Date: 68"
6am Temp: 15℉

7 Day Snow: 8"
Current Conditions: Partly cloudy
Visibility/Wind: Moderate/4mph

Deep thoughts by Jenna*:

Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2023:

1:25 p.m. update:

A note from management:

We really appreciate everyone's patience and understanding today.

It's been another tough day on the mountain with multiple chairlift stoppages, and we know it's been a frustrating experience for many of our guests — on a pow day, of all days. Chair 2 didn't run today, and we were forced to stop Chair 4 around 9:40 a.m. due to an unrelated mechanical issue. Out of consideration for guests' safety and comfort, we again made the call to perform a rope evacuation and our dedicated ski patrollers sprang into action along with other resort staff. We also paused Chairs 7, 8 and 11 and the Bigfoot T-Bar so additional staff could assist with the evacuation. All guests were safely removed from the lift line by approximately 12:35 p.m. and we're committed to trying to remedy their situations.

We're still taking stock of what happened today and learning more lessons. For now we can promise this: We will keep working to provide the best service and value possible for everyone who skis and rides at Whitefish Mountain Resort.

Chairs 7, 8 and 11 and the T-bar are turning again.

10:35 a.m. update:

We are beginning the rope evacuation process on Chair 4. Chairs 7, 8 and 11 will be closing to utilize their staffing resources. Stay tuned for more.

10:15 a.m. update:

Chair 4 is experiencing mechanical issues and we are preparing to run it on backup power to clear the line. To the folks seated up there, we apologize for the delay and thank you for your patience! We don't yet know if or when the lift will reopen today.

7:45 a.m. update:

Chair 2 will be closed today. However, you can get some laps in at the Bigfoot T-Bar!

6 a.m. report:

Good morning slope slayers! Man, it is a happy Wednesday, indeed ...

First things first: we are in a winter weather advisory until 11 o'clock this morning due to snow accumulation potential and slippery road conditions. Be sure to take your time and be extra cautious on your drive up the hill! Besides that, today's forecast calls for a 50% chance of snow and cloudy skies with high temperatures reaching 21 degrees up top and 27 degrees down below. A 9 mph southwest wind could bring the "feels like" temperature down to -2 on the upper mountain. An additional one to two inches of snow could possibly pile up throughout the day!

All right, now for the fun stuff. Five to 6 inches (at least!) of light, airy fluffy powder has graced the mountain with its presence, and we are in for some deep turns! If you've forgotten what it feels like to float, today just might be the day that jogs your memory. There was a negligible amount of drifting throughout higher-angle off-piste terrain yesterday, but this cozy blanket of new snow should even everything out quite nicely. Groomer pow will be smoky and smooth as well. 

Looking ahead, daytime high temperatures will linger in the mid- to upper 20s and we are expecting mostly cloudy skies with slight chances of snow. The first Biggie Banks Banked Slalom race of the season (which is sold out, I might add!) is scheduled for this Saturday, Feb. 4, from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Click here for more details!

Have a sublime time, and we will ski ya on the mountain!

snow report: thu feb 02, 2023
howdy all

what a beautiful day, blue skies with a few super high thin clouds. soft groomers from yesterdays pow and on toni matt the polish ice was perfect carving snow with a little moisture in it. so chair 2 was down again, but it was groomed and ed's was groomed very good wall to wall with no bumps, it was the best grooming i have seen in a long time, but the snow was a little soft a left some deep trenches. cuban and me making laps from chair 1 to the chair 2 areas where they were hardly no one around so stayed good longer. it was such a nice comfy morning and conditions was really good and rode hard. i was pooped by noon, but kept going till 2pm. chair 4 was down all day and got busy in the morning, but later not so bad and could make quick laps... today was super fun... the first run thru ed's was amazing...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 2...

snow report: fri feb 03, 2023
howdy all

another beautiful blue sky morning and nice grippy second day groom and comfy temps. paulk, helmut, mellow, cuban, johnasmo and me made up today's crew and great riding by everyone. yes, it was an epic last day of WTF23 and conditions was as good as it gets. it was a great WTF23 with the schweitzer gang, allee and the ohio boys. i am glad it ended with an epic last day cause the days before was not the best with thick fog and artic cold and lift issues. so nice to see everyone that took time to come and visit and ride. sorry i did not get to say goodbye to cuban and already looking forward to seeing you next year... today was super fun...

rode the 168vsr from 9 till 2...

• Like 1

snow report: mon feb 06, 2023
howdy all

a nice morning with mostly cloudy skies with the sun trying to peak thru at times. comfy temps and a little on the warm side and the snow had a little moisture in it. the sun came out in the afternoon and the top layer of the snow would break down into little slabs and would not hold an edge too good. is this the beginning of the freeze/thaw? could be an icy start in the morning. groomers was good in the early morning... today was really fun on the fp...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 12:30...

snow report: tue feb 07, 2023
howdy all

another nice warm grey morning with clouds just above the big and lite fog on the summit. i thought it would be firm icy groomers after yesterdays meltdown, but it was nice groomers up high and down low it was a bit icy. carved good and got lightly skied off so stayed good all day. the high overcast kept the snow consistent and it got colder as it started to snow by noontime. as it starts to dump really good the fog gets lower. i stayed a little longer just to enjoy the dumping snow cause it has been awhile since we had some. was a really fun day cause it was not busy...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 2:30...

snow report: wed feb 08, 2023
howdy all

like yesterday a warm grey morning and classic big mtn lite fog on top. the big reported 3 inches new and that brought out the powder hounds. busy morning and i am amazed at how fast the snow gets cut-up. good supportive snow so not much scraping sounds on the off groom. found a small area at the bottom of ed's that was carveable so slarve on push piles then make a few turns. after the snow gets cut-up the crowds are gone by noon. the new snow is much needed and tomorrow should be some nice groomers and i am having fun on the softies so will do some soft carving...

snow report: thu feb 09, 2023
howdy all

a beautiful mostly sunny morning and good soft groomers from yesterdays snow. perfect conditions for the soft carver. felt a little cooler in the morning with clear skies last night. the snow stayed good even with the sun shining all day. did a couple on toni to bench, but it was not that good so back to ed's. today was not too busy so it was fun. i need more time on the 160 incline to be more stylish and smooth out my carves...

snow report: fri feb 10, 2023
howdy all

a grey morning and lighting was flat and the groom was really good with a little moisture in it. perfect groom and it was a super fun day. crowded in the early morning cause chair 4 was delayed opening then not too bad later. was having fun on the easy pitch and run thru the main ed's to save the legs. was tired by noon, but kept going till 2:30pm cause it was really good and the groom stayed good all day. today was one of the better groomer days...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 2:30...