Note to New Members ×

WTF 2023 XXL Jan 15 Feb 4

snow report: sun dec 25, 2022
howdy all

fog just above the village in the morning and slowly lifts, but sticks around all day and it is very humid. the snow was nice and soft with some moisture then soon too much by noon. the groom was kinda good, but the fog made it hard to see and not too fun. chair 2 was empty after chair 1 opens, but chair 2 was dripping grease so went to the backside and made a few runs. decided to do a hellfire run and it was fun then got to the botton and chair 8 was not working. waited for what seemed like a half hour then very slowly got off. was nice conditions early then a little wet and the snow was starting to firm up... got home and it started to lightly rain as i shoveled about an inch and a half... too cold, too warm... chair4 update...

rode the amp5 from 9 till 12:30...

snow report: wed dec 28, 2022
howdy all

wanted to go up just out of curiosity to see what kind of damage the rain did to the snow. stayed home the past couple days cause of rain, it rained all day yesterday and very light rain on monday. the fog was all the way down the mountain all day. the fog was thick at times and not too bad other times. was going to chair 2 first, but it was down so did a chair 6 run then back up and chair 2 said it will be awhile. so got in line on chair 1 way in the back and all the gates were full to the max. looked over at chair 3 and went down chair 6 then caught a shuttle to the village and did some laps on chair 3. the snow was good, a couple inches over groom, nice smooth snow. did home again to the baselodge and got a pizza then called it. the crowds were the craziest i have ever seen and they kept coming as i was leaving... back to normal temps and snow is good so will go early tomorrow and out early... today was a real shitshow...

rode the amp5 from 9 till 11...

here is the bigs snow report...

As reported on (December 28th, 2022)

Summit (6,817 ft./2,078 m)

Overnight Snow: 2"/6cm
Settled Base: 70"/178cm
Total to Date: 106"/270cm
6am Temp: 22°F/-6°C

24hr Snow: 16"/41cm
7 Day Snow: 26"/67cm
Current Conditions: Fog
Visibility/Wind: Low/SW at 12mph

Lower Mountain (4,464 ft./1,361 m)

24hr Snow: 1"/3cm
Village Settled: 18"/46cm
Total to Date: 46"/117cm
6am Temp: 29°F/-2°C

7 Day Snow: 6"/16cm
Current Conditions: Fog
Visibility/Wind: Low/4mph

Deep thoughts by Jenna*:

Wednesday, Dec. 28, 2022:

3:45 p.m. update:

Chair 2 will not run for night skiing.

1:45 p.m. update:

Hang in there, folks! Unexpected closures and/or delays could continue today. Please heed signage, flex those patience muscles and keep your wits about you! 

1:15 p.m. update:

We are currently evacuating Chair 1 ... that dang rime ice ruins all the fun, ugh.

1 p.m. update:

Chair 1 is on hold!

12 p.m. update:

The Hellroaring Basin is open! The Bigfoot T-Bar is closed and Chair 2 will be closed the rest of the day due to mechanical issues. Ski with Maggie Day will take place over on Chair 3!

9:30 a.m. update:

Underfoot feels akin to 4-8 inches of snowfall as new accumulation has settled a bit, but the snow is staying pillowy and supportive! Off-piste turns will help you avoid the shallow crust hidden under groomer pow.

We are experiencing some mechanical delays on Chair 2 this morning; we appreciate your patience as our diligent patrol crew and hardy lift operations team work to get everything in tip-top shape and ready to ski. 

9 a.m. update:

The Hellroaring Basin is delayed this morning for avalanche control. Stay tuned for updates!

6 a.m. report:

Good morning, slope slayers! You might want to hold onto your hats for this morning's report ...

The summit received 16 (!!!) inches of new snow over the past 24 hours, 2 of which fell overnight. This is certainly a sight for sore eyes as we work to recover lost ground (literally) from the past couple of days of, *ahem*, non-crystalline precipitation. I am also very happy to report that we have now surpassed 100 inches of total season snowfall at the summit! That new new is feeling significantly lighter and fluffier than its precipitation predecessor ... how does spending the day in the white room sound?!

We are in the midst of a winter weather advisory which has been issued until 7 p.m. An additional 4-8 inches of snow accumulation is possible throughout the day. Lucky for us, temperatures seem to be adhering to the "what goes up must come down" adage ... the summit will top out at 25 degrees today and the village will reach 32 degrees. It will be a bit breezy with a southwest wind of 14-23 mph gusting up to 32 mph.

The finishing touches on Chair 4 are underway and an official opening date is coming VERY soon. Hang tight for the final word!

Speaking of exciting things, Ski with Maggie Day has been rescheduled to today! Bring your kiddos up to ski a lap with our homegrown hero and slopestyle superstar Maggie Voisin from 1 to 2:30 p.m. over on Chair 2. Autographs and poster signing to follow afterward at Ed & Mully's. For more information on all of the goings-on this week (of which there are many!), peek at our events calendar for more info.

Night skiing will run again tonight and daily through Sunday, Jan. 1. Come ski under the lights with us on Chairs 2, 3 and 6 and select terrain parks from 4 to 8:30 p.m.

Happy holidays and we'll ski you on the mountain!

snow report: thu dec 29, 2022
howdy all

what a beautiful morning, clear of clouds on the frontside and some clouds near the backside. good temps and snow was good as i started on chair 3. i was in a happy place with my first board and chair 3 which brought back memories of "back in the day" where it all started. chair 3 was groomed good and held a good edge. went over to chair 2 and ed's was not groomed, it was a lumpy mess so back to chair 3. i stayed away from the holiday madness and was in a happy bubble. did "home again" again and had a pizza before i left. the chair 6 and chair 10 lift lines were crazy busy and they kept coming as i was leaving...

rode the amp5 from 9 till 11:30...

As reported on (December 29th, 2022)

Overnight Snow: 1"/3cm
Settled Base: 73"/186cm
Total to Date: 109"/277cm
6am Temp: 17°F/-8°C

24hr Snow: 3"/8cm
7 Day Snow: 29"/74cm
Current Conditions: Cloudy
Visibility/Wind: Low/SW at 11mph

24hr Snow: 3"/8cm
Village Settled: 21"/54cm
Total to Date: 49"/125cm
6am Temp: 24°F/-4°C

7 Day Snow: 9"/23cm
Current Conditions: Cloudy
Visibility/Wind: Good/4mph

Deep thoughts by Rhyan*:

Thursday, Dec. 29, 2022:

A statement from management on yesterday's lift challenges:

Yesterday was admittedly not our best day. We know we fell short of our guests' expectations, and frankly, our own too. We're not proud of that. But what we are proud of is the resilience and heroic efforts of our patrol and our lift maintenance teams. We are proud that we were able to safely evacuate every guest without injury or incident.

We continue to work hard to deliver the guest experience you expect from us and hold ourselves to an even higher standard.

Yesterday was a "perfect storm" of challenges. We had two of our most critical lifts go down simultaneously with electrical and mechanical issues, on top of uncharacteristic avalanche conditions affecting a third lift (Hellroaring) for the first half of the day.

While our lifts teams did put in a valiant effort in getting Chair 1 back up without needing to evacuate, we knew every moment was critical for guest safety and comfort. After 35-40 minutes of downtime, we made the decision to move forward with a full line evacuation. With a full line of guests, that process does unfortunately take hours.

We've been asked, "What if it was much colder?" Truthfully, we would not have waited those 35-plus minutes to start moving into evacuation had that been the case, and we likely would have shut down other pods of the mountain to free up more resources.

We took steps to remedy any and all guests who were inconvenienced by lifts being unavailable, no questions asked, including those on Chair 1. We can assure that nearly all evacuated guests were in high spirits and appreciative given less-than-ideal circumstances.

Everything that happened yesterday was the last experience we wanted our guests to be subjected to. We can guarantee that our teams will continue to work our hardest to avoid a day like today from happening again.

2 p.m. update:

We're seeing a bit of everything this afternoon — clouds, a little sunshine, some light snowfall and even a couple spots in the sky of this color I've never seen before ... looks like the ocean? Or maybe the color of a blueberry? Who knows.

11 a.m. update:

There's plenty of fresh tracks to be found out there today! The snow is dense but still easy to float on and smear around. Clouds have moved in on the summit but visibility is still decent. It's time for turns, people! 

9:25 a.m. update:

Chair 1 is open. We're starting the day with open visibility top to bottom. It's a beautiful morning!

9 a.m. update:

Chair 2 is open. 

7:30 a.m. update:

We anticipate Chairs 1 and 2 will be ready to go at their normal times this morning — Chair 2 at 9 a.m. and Chair 1 at 9:30 a.m. We appreciate everyone's patience!

6 a.m. report:

We're happy to say that temperatures are nearly back to normal today, and we have fresh snow all the way down to the bottom of Big Mountain Road. Groomers are reporting great corduroy as well this morning. We have a chance of snow in the forecast today, with a high of 22 on the upper mountain and light winds.

Chair 1 was spinning (but not loading) by the end of the day yesterday, and we hope to have it good to load by opening today. Nothing is certain, though, so keep checking this snow report for updates. Thank you for your patience as we work through these challenges.

Have a great day and we will see you on the mountain!

Notes for today:

Just a quick note about how we gather our snow data: our summit snow stake is located right off the top of the mountain. We’ve measured from that location for years and simply report what new snow accumulates there. As we are all aware, snowfall totals vary widely across this mountain, and nine times out of 10 the summit stake will actually underreport upper mountain snowfall. Yesterday's 16 inches was in fact a drifting anomaly that does happen occasionally, and we do our best to report what the snow is actually skiing like in our morning updates. Thank you!

The finishing touches on Chair 4 are underway and an official opening date is coming very soon!

snow report: mon jan 02, 2023
howdy all

wow! what a great sunny morning with normal cool temps. groomers was a little bumpy with little dips and rollers. we haven't had new snow in awhile and it is a bit old, but it carved good and held a good edge. this morning was so nice that i rode hard in the morning then took it easy in the afternoon just to enjoy the day. just before i took a lunch break some clouds starts to build and by the time i got back out it was overcast and lighting got a little flat. as i was having lunch at the baselodge i noticed the new chair 4 would stop and go. so did a few more runs on chair 2 and as i was ending my day i noticed chair 4 was not running and nobody at the liftline. i will give it a few weeks before i get on that chair... today was super fun... i guess i just left before chair 2 went down for an hour...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 2...

As reported on (January 2nd, 2023)

Overnight Snow: 0"/0cm
Settled Base: 75"/191cm
Total to Date: 114"/290cm
6am Temp: 15°F/-9°C

24hr Snow: 0"/0cm
7 Day Snow: 25"/64cm
Current Conditions: Clear
Visibility/Wind: Good/SE at 7mph

24hr Snow: 0"/0cm
Village Settled: 22"/56cm
Total to Date: 51"/130cm
6am Temp: 20°F/-7°C

7 Day Snow: 6"/16cm
Current Conditions: Clear
Visibility/Wind: Good/4mph

Deep thoughts by Jenna*:

Monday, Jan. 2, 2023:

3 p.m. update:

Chair 2 is back up and running to close out the afternoon! Thanks once again for your patience. 

2 p.m. update:

And Chair 2 is down for now. We're still working through some maintenance issues. 

1:48 p.m. update:

Chair 4 is spinning again! Thanks for bearing with us as we work through all the quirks of operating the new lift. Come on back to the line!

1 p.m. update:

Chair 4 is currently down due to electrical issues!

10 a.m. update:

Holy moly, all you cord-crushers are in for a treat today! Our groomers gave us plenty to play with, and it’s a phenomenal day to fine-tune your carving skills. 

S-turns set against a backdrop of crystal-clear panoramic views … that’s certainly a sight for sore eyes. I’ll avoid waxing poetic and just advise that you come up and check it out for yourself!

6 a.m. report:

Good morning slope slayers and happy Monday! 

We have found ourselves in a bit of a dry spell this week as moisture from the Pacific moves due south of Montana. That being said, comfortably cold temperatures will delay crusting throughout off-piste terrain and keep our groomed trails in great shape. The forecast calls for mostly sunny skies today with a high temperature of 22 degrees at the summit and 26 degrees in the village. Check out our webcams page to see how things are shaping up in real time.

As we patiently await a powder day, take the opportunity to explore new facets of the mountain! Grab some friends for a sunrise skin up the frontside, curate your slopeside playlist during your lunch break at the Summit House, or practice your New School techniques in one of our terrain parks. Rumor has it that lots of folks are off work today as well, so what have you got to lose?! Come join us on the hill!

Our Wednesday Skimo League starts this week, and will run every Wednesday until Jan. 18. We'll also be hosting the IFSA Junior Tour from Friday, Jan. 6, through Sunday, Jan. 8! See our events calendar for more info. 

The free S.N.O.W. Bus is a great way to get up to the mountain from town! Route times start early and run late, with multiple stops through Whitefish. Check out the schedule here. Carpooling with your crew is also a great option. "Only you can prevent traffic jams on the Big," or whatever Smokey said!

Have a great day, and we will ski ya on the mountain!

snow report: tue jan 03, 2023
howdy all

foggy at the top of chair 2 first thing in the morning and slowly drops lower and thicker by noon. with no new snow the groom is getting stiffer and the little bumps really throws you around. the groom is much better on the easy pitch areas and i am enjoying the easy pitch. first day on the all mountain and took a few runs to get used to it. made some good turns so today was fun. did a couple runs thru the fog with johnasmo at the end of my day... the new chair 4 was down from 9:30am to 10:20am...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 11:30...

snow report: wed jan 04, 2023
howdy all

overcast just over the big with sometimes sun tries to poke thru. an inch or two of new snow groomed in and that made for good groomers. early was really good then later was slightly grabby. the new snow really helped and made for nice smooth groomers. could let the board fly and had a super fun day. rode hard for three hours in the morning and did not take a break. today was super fun and made many good turns. then later slept like a baby all night...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 12:30...

snow report: thu jan 05, 2023
howdy all

super high overcast and groom was kinda good. groom was good on chair 2 so stayed there all morning, took a run to the summit and did toni matt, but it was polished ice with a little sugar on top, it was better on chair 2. took it easy and carved the easy pitch. i was tired from riding hard on yesterdays good snow. forecast is no snow till the middle of the month. we need a lot more snow to fill in the whole mountain. they have not groomed larch yet and there are still foot high little pines. the snow is getting old and we really need a refresh now... today was fun...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 12:30...

snow report: fri jan 06, 2023
howdy all

classic big mtn fog top of chair 2 on up and very thick on top. stayed on chair 2 cause snow was good, but there was an uneven groom in the middle of ed's, it was annoying and skiers right was not groomed about a pass and a half. chair 2 was getting busy and as i was making a lap i noticed the chair was stopped so went to chair 1 to the summit. the fog was thick near the summit and could not see chair 4 to the right so back to chair 2 and no wonder it was busy. i did not feel safe making turns as it got busier and about 11:15am chair 2 stopped right when i was at the top. i could touch the landing with the tip of my board. waited for a few minutes and the liftie came out and said it might be awhile so i slid off and he helped me by pulling me on the landing. so with the crowds and the chair issues it was time so called it... today was fun riding the 168vsr and making super tight turns...

rode the 168vsr from 9 till 11:30...

snow report: mon jan 09, 2023
howdy all

was not feeling it today and forced myself to go up cause it was a nice day with blue skies and comfy temps. groom was better on chair 2 so stayed there most of the morning. chair 1 was a little polished ice with a dusting of powdered sugar and hard to dig in. every chair ride on chair 2 stopped for a little while and looking at the other chairs it would stop just for a little while too. did a couple runs with rick first thing in the morning then he left. made some good turns so today was fun. just missed 11:45 snowbus so had a pizza and caught the next one...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 11:30...

snow report: tue jan 10, 2023
howdy all

a wet warm humid morning and looking at the classic big mtn fog from town. the big reported 3 inches of new overnight and it was groomed in on ed's run. wanted to ride the softboots on a soft groomers day and it was the perfect day for it. fog was moving around and thick at times. all the lifts on the front stops for a little while and gets annoying. chair 2 stopped about 11:30 to 11:45 so decided to ride the new chair 4. everyone says that the new chair has thick comfy seat and it was. toni matt and the front was kinda bad so back to ed's cause the snow was much better. so the top of chair 2 was blue sky and the main ed's run was thick fog and as i was sitting near the bottom a little girl about 7 or 8 years old skis by and says "i lost my dad and i am scared" so we looked around and i decided we go to the bottom of chair 2 and waited for her dad and sure enough he shows up so did my good deed for the day... was a fun day on the softboots...

rode the 160inc from 9 till 12:30...

• Like 1

snow report: wed jan 11, 2023
howdy all

looked foggy from town, but as i got to the hill the fog was burning off with blue skies above. as i got ready and got started it turned overcast and lite fog moving around. kinda flat light, but groom was really good and smooth on ed's. i knew it was going to be a good groomer day after yesterdays soft groomers. brought the softboots cause wanted to do the soft carve. the 160 donek incline worked its magic and was super fun on the smooth groomers. today was not busy and there were many times i was the only one on ed's and felt safe and could enjoy myself. took a break about noon and was thinking about staying till 2pm, but as i got back out the thick fog was everywhere top to bottom so over and out... today was good...

rode the 160inc from 9 till 12:30...

snow report: thu jan 12, 2023
howdy all

classic big mtn foggy day and snowing all morning. started with a little new over groom and it kept piling up. ed's run was good early with the new soft snow and could carve right thru then as the snow kept piling up it got bumpy as the push piles firmed up a bit. carved good early and made many good turns as the new snow meshed with the firm groomers. did a few runs with johnasmo before i ended my day... today was really fun...

rode the 168vsr from 9 till 12:30...

snow report: fri jan 13, 2023
howdy all

stayed home today, woke up with a sore throat, hope i get better by next week... today was warm and sunny and the bigs snow report was not good... forecast is plenty snow next weekend... we will see...

here is part of the bigs snow report...

Deep thoughts by Rhyan*:

Friday, Jan. 13, 2023:

12:30 p.m. update:

Sunshine and warm temperatures on the lower mountain have baked up some mash potato style skiing, so if you have an appetite it's quite fun. Off-piste hardpack has softened as well! Be aware of some sticky and grabby snow in some low spots.  Overcast skies are moving in but we still have clear visibility top to bottom.