Note to New Members ×

stance width?, am 6ft tall. aggressive carver. pros&cons of wider stance

rikytheripster

Guest Pre School Rider

I'm a believer in a fairly wide stance on most freecarve/race boards.The reasons are pretty obvious if you want to utilize a hardboot setup greatest advantage,which is fore/aft pressure control.With a wider Vs. narrower stance,you gain in how compressed you can be.With a narrower stance deep bending at the knees tends to put the rider 'off balance' (usually to the rear) while being compressed.Narrow stances also limit how well the rider can get 'low' while being 'soft' (loose and low Vs. Compressed and low) at the start of a turn.In creating torsional twist,and also controlling that twist,a narrow stance is at a disadvantage.In dynamic leverage(say,pulling the nose up at turn's end,and pushing that nose back back into the start of the next turn) fore + aft,a narrow stance tends towards making both legs less independant,although the quickness of the move is better with a narrower stance. I'm 5-10",with an inseam of 31",and I usually ride right around 20" in Softies,and closer to 21" with plates using low canting amounts.Everyone is built differently,so the actual width(or cant/lift)of a stance is a personal thing.Play with it,take notes of where you are on the board,and how it feels.Give each change the time to be sorted out(at least 3 top-bottom runs,unless the change is too heinous to live with).Ride what feels and works the best. An aside note: if you ride older (like 1992-96) Burton stuff,the sidecuts often were built around fairly narrow stancing,and work well being 'pushed' in the board's middle.Widening the stancing on those type of boards can yeild mixed results,but I did widen Every board's stance (that would allow it) in my quiver to at least 19" back in '95,and haven't looked back since.

I'm 5'7" on a good day and ride my Renntiger 173 with a 19.25 inch stance width. I am fairly new with this width and am finding that I am more dynamic (active) on the board and more comfortable too. It is easier to force the board to bend/ carve tight and just plain easier to get low. I may try a wider width as I get into the year, just have to do as PSR said, progressively in small increments. My angles are 58F/53R and these will probably go up, too. My $.02 American

I ride a 20.5 -21 inch stance and have an inseam of 34" @ 6'3". tried 19 or so and it was ok on groomed smooth runs with very few people on the slopes but since that is far and few between I opt for a little more control in the crap stuff and lots of people so I feel I have more control with a little wider stance. My 2 cents

I agree that wider is better for control, I've gradually increased my stance in the past few years, and it is a GOOD thing. When I think about how narrow I used to ride (17 inches or less!) I can't imagine going back. It does take a while to get used to any change, but if you give it some time it usually works out. Maybe not for a 24 inch stance, but you know what I mean.......